The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GunnerHunter View Post
    Opinions on going elk hunting with a small size wife an 2 young boys 11 & 9. For the last few years I've made plans with people and they back out when the time comes. These 3 have been the only ones saying let's go chase them around the mountain. I know we will have fun, my concern is if we shoot something we won't get everything out until next season.
    If they want to go you owe it to them to take them. Don't pass up the ones close to you who want to share your experiences for people who may flake on you when it's go time. Speaking from experience, you'd be shocked how much those boys can pack out lol and your wife will likely have a chip on her shoulder with determination to keep up and she'll out-perform you in the mountains. It's always more weight on your shoulders planning and being the point person for literally everything, but that's your family and in the end you'll look back and cherish those experiences. Have fun with it, get those boys some tiny little camo packs and put a tender and heart/liver in one and a single backstrap in the other, you'll never see a smile so big as when you get back to camp and they're unloading their Elk meat. edit: Just read your other reply, yeah you got this you know the drill. I say dive in and make it happen.
    Last edited by justletmein; 05-20-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Opinions on going elk hunting with a small size wife an 2 young boys 11 & 9. For the last few years I've made plans with people and they back out when the time comes. These 3 have been the only ones saying let's go chase them around the mountain. I know we will have fun, my concern is if we shoot something we won't get everything out until next season.
      My GF is on the small size (110 lbs) and we pack in 6 miles and stay a week at a time. She takes every step I take and wouldn't have it any other way. Take them, they will see things that they will never forget.

Comment

Look into renting a wall tent set up, they are out there.

I think it's great you're family wants to be out there with you ! You will have to temper your chances of success though. Just saying 4 folks are not ideal for one elk hunting party, 4 folks making noise and leaving scent.
        Getting those boys a chance to hear a bugle though would be priceless.

Get a good fitting pack for your wife. The 4 of you would have no issues getting an elk out, they are just big deer.

Comment

I took my wife and two sons with me one year. Oldest son was 3.5 and my other son was 6 months. I drove the RV straight through, 16 hours, to Chama NM. We made a lot of great memories!!

Comment

Now we have 2 more sons so I won't be going any time soon!!

Comment

If it’s like the elk hunts I’ve been on, there is no way I’d take young kids and a wife.. lol Straight up and down mountains covered in deadfall, raining all the time, 25 in the morning 80 in the evening. Plus Ask them to help pack an elk out... LOL No Way!! I would take them for a hiking/fly fishing trip somewhere with good trails in a heartbeat though.

If they were staying in camp, I’d say go for it. Me and Dad drew tags in NM this year. Honestly hope it’s a little better terrain wise this go round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wyoming here I come!!

Comment

I cant keep up with the point creep. I'll be up to 10 for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                    Wyoming here I come!!
                    Congrats Randy.

Comment

Wyoming here I come!!

Ditto

Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by swamprabbit59 View Post
                        If it’s like the elk hunts I’ve been on, there is no way I’d take young kids and a wife.. lol Straight up and down mountains covered in deadfall, raining all the time, 25 in the morning 80 in the evening. Plus Ask them to help pack an elk out... LOL No Way!! I would take them for a hiking/fly fishing trip somewhere with good trails in a heartbeat though.

If they were staying in camp, I’d say go for it. Me and Dad drew tags in NM this year. Honestly hope it’s a little better terrain wise this go round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His wife is a hunter and by the way spouse and I hunt together and have for years. I sure ain't no spring chicken anymore and I get it done.

Congrats guys that drew ! I'm in Laramie and hunt the Snowies and some LQ areas around here if anyone needs some info.

Comment

Wyoming here I come!!
                          Nice, congrats. I struck out on the primary draw. We all withdrew our cow tags because the area we applied for was based on my boys living in Cheyenne and me being able to scout a LOT but them punks are moving in July.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                            My GF is on the small size (110 lbs) and we pack in 6 miles and stay a week at a time. She takes every step I take and wouldn't have it any other way. Take them, they will see things that they will never forget.
                            Sounds like a good time and a great GF!

Comment

Wyoming here I come!!
                              Congrats. and Me Too!

My brother and I got our second choice hunt, antlerless elk in Unit 99.

Time to start working out, it will be here before we know it!

Comment

Wyoming here I come!!
                                Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                                Ditto

Congrats
                                Dang it, just saw that I did not get it again this year. Congrats to you guys.

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing. How many preference points did you all have before getting it, if any and what was the area numbers? My buddy that lives there always says to select area 100.

J

Comment

Working...
                                X