No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elk prep has started for me.. Watching what I eat and working out 5 days a week now.. My arrrow components will be in on Saturday so I can start getting my bow dialed in.. I finally am at a point in my western hunting where I have everything I need and I could literally be ready to head west in a couple of hours.. Main thing now is diet, workouts and shooting.

Hoping to make a trip out mid August to hang some trail cams on some water holes and get a idea of where the water is..

Comment

Ive started exercising a little more, have a long way to go and prob won't get all the way to where I "need" to get to weight wise but gonna do what I can in the next 4 months.

Comment

I plan to prep by stop drinking beer end of June. I may have been doing some heavier leg workouts on lift days too though.

Got a new bow I need to build arrows for, guess I'll pay for the software to calculate it all out and get setup. Been practicing with my old bow's arrows but I suspect they're a bit weak spined.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          I plan to prep by stop drinking beer end of June. I may have been doing some heavier leg workouts on lift days too though.

Got a new bow I need to build arrows for, guess I'll pay for the software to calculate it all out and get setup. Been practicing with my old bow's arrows but I suspect they're a bit weak spined.
          my new arrows are going to be stupid lol.. THey will be the best arrow I have ever shot but they will also be the most expensive arrow ive ever built

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            elk prep has started for me.. Watching what I eat and working out 5 days a week now.. My arrrow components will be in on Saturday so I can start getting my bow dialed in.. I finally am at a point in my western hunting where I have everything I need and I could literally be ready to head west in a couple of hours.. Main thing now is diet, workouts and shooting.

Hoping to make a trip out mid August to hang some trail cams on some water holes and get a idea of where the water is..
            Good luck! I wish I was coming with you! Take you some water stashes while you are setting up trail cams!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
              Ive started exercising a little more, have a long way to go and prob won't get all the way to where I "need" to get to weight wise but gonna do what I can in the next 4 months.
              I am a fellow big dude that doesn't keep himself in good enough shape. This is what I would recommend as the minimum based on my two elk hunts.

At the very least, get a pack and a 25 lb weight or sack of concrete and start walking and the boots you intend to take 5-6 days per week. Work up to 40 lbs. That will get your feet and shoulders used to it at least. If you don't have much in the way of hills, try walking parking garages. During your walk, stop and do air squats. I do the squats goblet squat style holding my pack out in front of my chest to try to keep strain off my back.

I use drainage ditches to practice side hilling so your body can get used to that. One of the things I didn't really think about is that you will not be walking on trails that much. If you can find even weedy fields to walk with stuff that tangles around your legs that will help.

Weight loss is great, but I'd work cardio and leg strength hard. The weight loss will come.

Comment

Local high school football stadium bleachers work well for bleacher climbs with a pack and hinting boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bump this thread up.
                  Wyoming elk draw results should be out tomorrow.

Good folks in our draw, as residents we haven't even put in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    Bump this thread up.
                    Wyoming elk draw results should be out tomorrow.

Good folks in our draw, as residents we haven't even put in yet.
                    I'm ready! I put in for a cow elk this year in WY.

Comment

Got drawn for Utah mule deer hunt.

Anyone have any good recommendations on the best boot for hiking/ hunting the mountains? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Opinions on going elk hunting with a small size wife an 2 young boys 11 & 9. For the last few years I've made plans with people and they back out when the time comes. These 3 have been the only ones saying let's go chase them around the mountain. I know we will have fun, my concern is if we shoot something we won't get everything out until next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Redlegwar View Post
                          Got drawn for Utah mule deer hunt.

Anyone have any good recommendations on the best boot for hiking/ hunting the mountains? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          I found a pair of the Lowa Zyphr GTX hi boots on camofire for about 1/2 of the normal cost and absolutely love them. If I have to replace them I would gladly pay full price for them if I had to. Call camofire customer service number and you can ask about them if you don’t happen to see them on the daily deals. The link is just for info on the boots! Congratulations on getting drawn. Waiting for the colorado draw results next week

Comment

Originally posted by GunnerHunter View Post
                            Opinions on going elk hunting with a small size wife an 2 young boys 11 & 9. For the last few years I've made plans with people and they back out when the time comes. These 3 have been the only ones saying let's go chase them around the mountain. I know we will have fun, my concern is if we shoot something we won't get everything out until next season.
                            I would say if you can set a warm , dry camp go for it. I can only pack out so much but every bit helps. If the boys enjoy the out of doors, can deal with some adversity, mainly weather then you should be ok.
                            Have a pack frame that fits your wife and some day packs for the boys.
                            Have them prepared for time alone, being your wife and boys in camp while you hunt.
                            Make sure the boys and your wife know that for the most part they may be in camp while you hunt, young boys may not be able to be quiet enough and still enough to go out in field with you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              I would say if you can set a warm , dry camp go for it. I can only pack out so much but every bit helps. If the boys enjoy the out of doors, can deal with some adversity, mainly weather then you should be ok.
                              Have a pack frame that fits your wife and some day packs for the boys.
                              Have them prepared for time alone, being your wife and boys in camp while you hunt.
                              Make sure the boys and your wife know that for the most part they may be in camp while you hunt, young boys may not be able to be quiet enough and still enough to go out in field with you very much.
                              I'm pretty sure we will need a better tent. They want to roam the mountains with me not stay at camp. My wife hunts whitetails on public land with me. My 11 year old is 100% in, we got drawn for a few hunts with the TPWD in 2019. We spent 9 days in a tent together, and walked 28 miles in 3 days at the Devils River. My concern is the big difference in terrain and size of the animal. I dont want to get out there and burn them out. I'm wandering is it gonna be fun, or do they not realize what they are agreeing to?

Comment

There are people you can hire to help pack out animals. Don't let that be the determining factor on whether you take your family or not. Absolutely go and enjoy it. If you accidentally kill an elk, it will be all the better.

Comment

Working...
                                X