The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buck Down View Post
    Talking about roller coaster of emotions. One of my favorite hunts of all times.
    Congrats!

Comment

Snow made in Monday evening. Tuesday was a bust for hunting, wind and blowing snow. The elk hate it as much as we do. Camp survived and by Wednesday the elk started moving again. Spouse located a good bull but with a cow. He's keeping after him as he may go 320" or so. Snow made it very clear, elk are all over this area. They just need to start talking a little more.
      Attached Files

Comment

We're up here in 81. Got here Tuesday afternoon and made base camp up high.

Snow blew in that evening. My tent collapsed within an HR of the snow starting. Slept in the truck. The other two tents barely survived. We mended some poles and were snowed in with at least 3'. Couldn't move 4 wheelers or trucks. So yesterday we stayed in camp.

Another group camped ahead of us got towed out and had to leave their gooseneck overnight.

This morning we made it out in my truck, left the other truck there and drove to town. Bought chains for the truck we left but couldn't find any for 37" tires on mine.

We planned to try to get the trailers out w the chains but at the trailhead, game warden was there and told us if we went up and got stuck he would write a citation.

The tow trucks were there getting the other groups trailer out, so they offered to let 2 of us go up, put the chains on the 2nd truck and get what they could out.

Me and my buddy went to town to get some replacement gear and a hotel for the night. We just heard from the other two, they got out but, as expected, left both trailers and our atv's up there.

It's gonna be a long night of worrying. The plan is to head back out around noon tomorrow and try to get our stuff loaded and out and reposition base camp in another area as soon as we can.

It's been one heck of a mess so far, but we're hoping it's just the start of a really good hunting story. We have until the 18th and it's supposed to be sunny and warm from here on out.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting they had to pull out vehicles.
          Only folks "rescued" up here were NR.
          We just sat for a day then got out and about when the weather broke.

Comment

Wow

Comment

I'm in Cheyenne bored out of my mind staying with my sons. If anybody nearby needs help packing an Elk or changing a tire or whatever lemme know. We'll be doing some Antelope hunting after the 15th and I'll be here a couple weeks past that looking for things to do. They both work and have school so I'm going stir crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post

Snow blew in that evening. My tent collapsed within an HR of the snow starting. Slept in the truck. The other two tents barely survived. We mended some poles and were snowed in with at least 3'. Couldn't move 4 wheelers or trucks. So yesterday we stayed in camp.

Another group camped ahead of us got towed out and had to leave their gooseneck overnight.

This morning we made it out in my truck, left the other truck there and drove to town. Bought chains for the truck we left but couldn't find any for 37" tires on mine.

We planned to try to get the trailers out w the chains but at the trailhead, game warden was there and told us if we went up and got stuck he would write a citation.

The tow trucks were there getting the other groups trailer out, so they offered to let 2 of us go up, put the chains on the 2nd truck and get what they could out.

Me and my buddy went to town to get some replacement gear and a hotel for the night. We just heard from the other two, they got out but, as expected, left both trailers and our atv's up there.

It's gonna be a long night of worrying. The plan is to head back out around noon tomorrow and try to get our stuff loaded and out and reposition base camp in another area as soon as we can.

It's been one heck of a mess so far, but we're hoping it's just the start of a really good hunting story. We have until the 18th and it's supposed to be sunny and warm from here on out.

I don't understand, why not stay and hunt if you're already setup?
                Last year we hunted through some nasty stuff in 3rd rifle, it was a mess and a blast.l and we tent camped down into the low single digits.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I'm in Cheyenne bored out of my mind staying with my sons. If anybody nearby needs help packing an Elk or changing a tire or whatever lemme know. We'll be doing some Antelope hunting after the 15th and I'll be here a couple weeks past that looking for things to do. They both work and have school so I'm going stir crazy.
                  Cheyenne Colorado, or Cheyenne Wyoming?
                  I'll be hunting west of Laramie from 19-27th for Elk. Another buddy will be after mule deer. We go VRBO in a comfy house. I'm a better hunter after a good nights sleep in a real bed. Old or spoiled. I'll enjoy my daily long hikes in and out every day.
                  "Shoot Straight and Shoot often"

Comment

Sorry, Cheyenne Wyoming. I may go scout general 110 even though I've got no license so probably be in the general area.

Comment

Fishing is great this time of the year when it warms back up, spawning trout.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        Fishing is great this time of the year when it warms back up, spawning trout.
                        Older boy has tomorrow and Saturday off, probably head West of Laramie and look for a place to camp. I need to show these boys some places to go they've kind of been idle waiting on me. Middle boy wants to get a general tag this year so I may try to do some ground work for him this weekend. He works overnights Sat-Mon and UW Mon-Fri. As soon as he has a solid afternoon off I'll run him up to Rob Roy and maybe hit Meeboar otw back. I'd love to find some grouse around here too, something they can easily handle on their own when I head back home.
                        Last edited by justletmein; 09-10-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Found grouse scattered around in area 11, some up higher and some down lower near old clearcuts.
                          UW will be very weird this fall, spouse works for them. Students are not taking precautions but who thought they would.
                          Try to stay out of the other hunters way if you go scout.
                          Rob Roy is a good area for you, Keystone also. Might be a cabin to rent in Keystone, not sure though.
                          Used to be big browns in the creek below Rob Roy, very small creek but big fish back in the day.

You'll find snow up higher and messy roads .

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post

Truth, we were up high in 81 and stranded for 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                              Truth, we were up high in 81 and stranded for 3 days.

At the risk of repeating this, I am a member of a search and rescue team in Montana. The availability and prevalence of satellite messengers has dramatically changed the situation on lost, stranded and injured people ‘recreating’ in the back country. We get notification of an issue with the location rapidly- not a call from somebody later that a hunter has not gotten out and called when in cell service area (we call them phone booths commonly on ridges).

Spot is the lower cost option. Cost of the Gen 3 is $149 but I bought last year for $99. There’s a new Gen 4 with a nicer industrial design but I think it’s functionally equal.

I pay $15/ month year round but that includes an insurance policy should I need a Life Flight helo ride from the back country.

The better option is the Garmin InTeach mini. Around $349 plus more per month service since you can use your phone through bluetooth and send and receive messages.

Help ‘us’ to find you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                                At the risk of repeating this, I am a member of a search and rescue team in Montana. The availability and prevalence of satellite messengers has dramatically changed the situation on lost, stranded and injured people ‘recreating’ in the back country. We get notification of an issue with the location rapidly- not a call from somebody later that a hunter has not gotten out and called when in cell service area (we call them phone booths commonly on ridges).

Spot is the lower cost option. Cost of the Gen 3 is $149 but I bought last year for $99. There’s a new Gen 4 with a nicer industrial design but I think it’s functionally equal.

I pay $15/ month year round but that includes an insurance policy should I need a Life Flight helo ride from the back country.

The better option is the Garmin InTeach mini. Around $349 plus more per month service since you can use your phone through bluetooth and send and receive messages.

Help ‘us’ to find you.

We hare already talked about it and will be getting a Garmin InReach and some walkie talkies for our next trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X