The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
    Glad to hear it. That’s what I’m leaning toward. Are you going to carry your bow with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always carry it in my hand.

Comment

I'm sitting here enjoying my cup of coffee and watching the local news.

The Weather report just said snow conditions favorable with the front coming to Texas this Wednesday. The snow would be over CO and NM to pan handle area.

I guess when you go Elk hunting you bring the heavy cold weather gear?

Comment

Morning coffee?

Here’s mine in SW Montana.

Yes to your question. Highs will be in low 90s today, Monday our low is forecast 28 and snow at higher elevations.

Layer-layer-layer. Add merino wool underneath, and then layers outside. Plus rain/snow jacket, pants and gaiters.

Comment

We've got single digit lows coming in for next week, and snow for the mountains and in town.
          It;s going to kill some hardwoods in town and around the region, lost our ash tree last year to early below zero temps.
          We'll be hauling the sled back up with us.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post

23 lb 5 Oz without water or bow for 7 days!

Going on my first elk hunt for second rifle in Colorado and looking for a pack. Would this pack in your opinion be sufficient to backpack a camp in and then use it as a daypack?

Comment

Tough requirement. Large for a camp’s gear then small for a day pack. My Kuiu 3200 would be too small to pack-in a camp. 5,000+ cubic inches. Lots of good brands, Im happy with Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 for day hunts, Mystery Ranch is heavier but really good- made in Bozeman.

Comment

Here is my colorado public land cow elk.
                Saw a few bulls just nothing legal and all 3 were still in velvet.
                The new VXR performed great.
                Broad head used: Magnus black hornet 125 with complete pass through.
                She was 22 yards ever so slightly quartering to me and passed through; she whirled and I cow called a couple of times and she stopped again and let another arrow fly hitting just above the knuckle at 30 yards.
                She still managed to make it 150 yards tops with a great blood trail.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Heading up to southern CO tomorrow. Tag came in Saturday (took about 5 days). Real excited about the cold front! Hopefully at the very least my cams got some good pics. Good luck everybody!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                      Congrats!
                      x2

Comment

Originally posted by Wylde E View Post
                        Here is my colorado public land cow elk.
                        Saw a few bulls just nothing legal and all 3 were still in velvet.
                        The new VXR performed great.
                        Broad head used: Magnus black hornet 125 with complete pass through.
                        She was 22 yards ever so slightly quartering to me and passed through; she whirled and I cow called a couple of times and she stopped again and let another arrow fly hitting just above the knuckle at 30 yards.
                        She still managed to make it 150 yards tops with a great blood trail.
                        Congrats! Good eats!

Comment

Thank y’all it’s my 2nd elk (cow) in 3 years. I just need a legal bull to pass my way. It will be a bit difficult considering I always tell myself to shoot the first legal elk.

Comment

Thank y’all it’s my 2nd elk (cow) in 3 years. I just need a legal bull to pass my way. It will be a bit difficult considering I always tell myself to shoot the first legal elk.

Congrats!

Comment

Advice on elk hunting my then college age son gave me,

“Shoot the first one you see- even if she’s ugly”.

Congratulations on the elk.

Comment

Montana Bull

Talking about roller coaster of emotions. One of my favorite hunts of all times.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Buck Down; 09-10-2020, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X