The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
    Yes sir. I walk my dog every morning & evening 3 miles/walk wearing my pack with a 20 lb. dumbbell in it. I'm upping the weight next week to my small sand bag. I think it's 35 lbs.

This past Saturday I did 14 miles with 35 lbs. in the pack and 21 total miles for the day. Trying to do mixed weights/cardio/box ups during my lunch breaks as well. Trying to make up for spending way too long not doing enough . Working from home has been great for helping with that.

Been shooting my bow almost every evening as well. Only about 6 weeks away
    How much time did that 14 miles take?

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
      How much time did that 14 miles take?
      Right at 4 hours. Amy did it with me and it was a little slower going with more breaks than it would have been otherwise.

I walked from my house to Casey's house.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
        Right at 4 hours. Amy did it with me and it was a little slower going with more breaks than it would have been otherwise.

I walked from my house to Casey's house.
        Nice. Did you move?

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
          Anyone putting in some work to get ready for elk season? Just finished 4 miles with 40lbs, sweating with a purpose feels great.
          Yes sir. It’s the number one thing on my list to get ready. Average 5-6 miles a day running. Weights 3 days a week, weighted pack HIIT sprints 3 days a week. Try to work in a weighted pack hike at least once a week. I’ll start doing pack runs/hikes most days during August. Glad you are doing some fitness. I see guys every year fail because of their conditioning.

Comment

Anyone putting in some work to get ready for elk season? Just finished 4 miles with 40lbs, sweating with a purpose feels great.
            Been doing stairs in the house with 30lbs in the pack, aside from that just squat/bench/row | squat/press/deadlift alternating three times per week. I'm cardiophobic so no running for me. I can walk indefinitely with tons of weight in my pack on flat ground, it's the elevation gain/loss that kills me in the mountains so cardio would do me some good... I just hate it.

Comment

I hope the blisters I am dealing with now make for smooth going during the season.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                Nice. Did you move?
                No I'm still in the same place. He doesn't live too far but it's safer taking the longer back road route than walking up 281 . The views are better too.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntercoach View Post
                  A buddy of mine and I committed about 6 weeks ago to do an over the counter elk hunt in Colorado this September. We are new to archery elk. We are working on getting into shape and getting gear together. We are struggling with how to narrow down a couple of units to focus on. There is so much information out there that it is very overwhelming. We are looking on OnX and debating on a GoHunt membership to try to help us narrow down our choices. We are planning on a truck camp type hunt for several logistical reasons. Since we are so new to this, we are not expecting trophies, we would just love to see some elk. Does anyone out there have any pointers or recommendations?
                  If you are looking for good info on a unit you have never hunted, I highly reccomend StartMyHunt. The guy will make custom maps for the unit you pick in Colorado. I purchase from him every year I elk hunt in Colorado. If you have any issues he will work with you to fix it. He called me and spoke with me over the phone one time because I had some questions that I was having trouble putting into an email. If you do use him, please mention my name! If you decide to check it out PM me.
                  Thanks and good luck!
                  Last edited by TexasBear; 07-25-2020, 05:07 PM. Reason: added verbage

Comment

Tagging

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ll post this info here. Montana is changing how they issue leftover tags. No more first-cone first-served.

If anybody draws and hunts SW Montana- Tobacco Roots to Gravelies- I’d like to trade public land knowledge for some real Texas bbq. Can’t get it here!

Remember your UDAP and carry a big handgun and a satellite messenger (Spot or InReach). I’m on search and rescue- it had made a big difference in finding folks in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone putting in some work to get ready for elk season..........

Yep, pulled 2 lbs of Elk Burger out of the freezer this morning for Elk Stroganoff, gotta make room!

Comment

Headed up from central TX for unit 81 in a few hours. Plan to set some cams if I can get on any good sign. Who knows whether or not my cams will still be there mid september[emoji848]. It's a risk I'm willing to take!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Take your rain gear and watch for thunderstorms. Monsoons are here.
                            You'll need a jacket to, we expect lows into the 40's tonight in Laramie.

Comment

Picked up the NM unit 52 tag that Mossback had in the classifieds. My dad and I will be there for muzzleloader. This is a first for me, lots to learn before October!

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                                Picked up the NM unit 52 tag that Mossback had in the classifieds. My dad and I will be there for muzzleloader. This is a first for me, lots to learn before October!

I was in there scouting for my girlfriends late rifle deer hunt a month ago. I saw elk in a few different spots, probably 30 head in total. That’s some beautiful country. Shoot me a text or give me a call if I can help you out.

Jake
                                361-813-8238

Comment

Working...
                                X