Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James View Post
    Both - Thanks! I’ll check it out.

You need to get a open reed cow call from either Rocky Mountain hunting calls or phelps. You better learn to call me in a raghorn lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Power bugle and any bite any blow cow call. Sceery make a good cow call and we also always carry a cowgirl call too.
      I've called in many elk using a Power bugle, it has a good diameter tube and puts out deep sounding bugles and chuckles. I have 2 , one I shortened the tube for a smaller elk sounding call.
      The calls with a small diameter tube sound like a whistle, most elk and fellow hunters can tell the difference.
      I have also called in many hunters with a power bugle.
      Carry at least 2 different cow calls.

Comment

I ordered $150 worth of phelps calls last night. Should be good on elk calls for a while. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          I ordered $150 worth of phelps calls last night. Should be good on elk calls for a while. Lol

Been using Rocky Mountain calls in the past but I really like the AMP series. Try the Maverick. Phelps makes it for Dirk. Really versatile plus it makes great bugles. A lot of calls tend to stretch and wear out after a lot of bugling. This one holds up way better than any other I have used

Comment

This is a great thread indeed for learning and getting lots of valuable information regarding the ELK. I don't know whether it's okay to share some of my experience regarding the elk hunting journey here. Well, You know hunting with a crossbow is just a thrill and needs lots of endurance. But selecting or finding a good bow can matter a lot too.

Last year in Elk hunting season I bought this CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper AXCTW185CK crossbow which draws speed is 185 and FPS is almost 380 and believe it or not I found this bow the most value for money till this date.

I follow OUTDOOREVER regularly and one of their long written article about crossbow is https://outdoorever.com/best-crossbow/ I found the idea of getting this CenterPoint Crossbow from their end.

Comment

Originally posted by rifen89 View Post
              This is a great thread indeed for learning and getting lots of valuable information regarding the ELK. I don't know whether it's okay to share some of my experience regarding the elk hunting journey here. Well, You know hunting with a crossbow is just a thrill and needs lots of endurance. But selecting or finding a good bow can matter a lot too.

Last year in Elk hunting season I bought this CenterPoint Tormentor Whisper AXCTW185CK crossbow which draws speed is 185 and FPS is almost 380 and believe it or not I found this bow the most value for money till this date.

I follow OUTDOOREVER regularly and one of their long written article about crossbow is https://outdoorever.com/best-crossbow/ I found the idea of getting this CenterPoint Crossbow from their end.
              Have you humped that thing through the mountains yet ? Do you carry it cocked and loaded?
              Unless you're hunting out of a blind, a crossbow is not very conducive to elk hunting. I have one and would not take it elk hunting, my longbow is much easier.

Comment

A couple friends and I should be drawn in September for CO around Craig. I told myself I'd start a workout regiment by January at the latest but then my dumb arse went and enrolled in some graduate classes. Now I have almost no time during the week. If I'm limited to weekend workouts what would benefit me the best, the stairclimber?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                  A couple friends and I should be drawn in September for CO around Craig. I told myself I'd start a workout regiment by January at the latest but then my dumb arse went and enrolled in some graduate classes. Now I have almost no time during the week. If I'm limited to weekend workouts what would benefit me the best, the stairclimber?
                  Go drag a tire, ride a bike or just go on a hike with a weighted pack. Biggest thing is just get moving. Just need to get those legs burning,

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    Go drag a tire, ride a bike or just go on a hike with a weighted pack. Biggest thing is just get moving. Just need to get those legs burning,
                    That's kinda what I was thinking but I'd also seen the thread that said get your lungs ready with heavy cardio. I wasn't sure if building legs or lungs was more important. I guess maybe I should figure something that would do both.

Comment

You working legs with tire drags stairmaster and bukes and such you're also getting that lung capacity stretched.
                      The biggest struggles I've had are going uphill for long distances, up and up and up. I can do it but I'm slow. Bleachers and hiking hills with a pack and tire drags almost any of that kind of work and general cardio for that.

Comment

Find a building near your classes with 3 floors and do some stairs. Put a pack of books on your back and do some sets of stairs up and down.
                        I found a building near our house this summer that had 3 floors and stairs at every corner.
                        It got my legs in better shape for my sheep hunt.
                        Cardio will come in if you do some quick ups, just push yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                          That's kinda what I was thinking but I'd also seen the thread that said get your lungs ready with heavy cardio. I wasn't sure if building legs or lungs was more important. I guess maybe I should figure something that would do both.
                          Depends where are you hunting? 6k’ in NM or 12k in CO?

You aren’t going to beat the altitude just have to bear through it. You can never be in to good of shape but you don’t have to be an iron man either.

More people bell off/out of a hike in backcountry hunt and back to the truck because they can’t handle being uncomfortable not fitness. Being smart and comfortable is better then being an iron man IMO.

Now if you asked me what I do, I hit 36 flights or more(about 20 minutes) of stairs 3-4 times a week starting in Feb. and do core and legs in the gym. I also try to do a 6 miles ruck before church on Sunday. I Do a lot of functional lifts with dumbbells, kettlebells and sandbags..... but I never run.
                          Last edited by Texans42; 02-24-2020, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Any of you guys familiar with the elk numbers in Unit 41, New Mexico? I'm curious to see if the number of elk in the area are decent, looking at a hunt there this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
                              Any of you guys familiar with the elk numbers in Unit 41, New Mexico? I'm curious to see if the number of elk in the area are decent, looking at a hunt there this year.
                              41? Elk are very few and far between. Must be private land because I don't believe there are public tags available for 41.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
                                41? Elk are very few and far between. Must be private land because I don't believe there are public tags available for 41.
                                Yes, it's on private land.

Comment

Working...
                                X