The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
    All I want is a day pack. Something light and comfortable and holding my bow would be a plus. I have a badlands hybrid, I love the pack but it doesn't fit me very good. I am wide at the shoulders. I wish there were a place to go try them all. I have used the hypervent before and liked it a lot but it's not suited well for holding a bow.
    Maybe try out some of the Gregory or Osprey packs? Won't help with bow though.

Comment

Gonna have to catch up...

I was drawn for the Montanna archery hunt...
      I better start reading!

tending the fire,
      Bob G.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
        I better start reading!

tending the fire,
        Bob G.
        Awesome news!

Comment

was up in unit 86 of Colorado this weekend doing some hiking, enjoy the pics.

Comment

Comment

Cool pics. You find any sheds?

Comment

I see you decided to get some treking poles!

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                  I see you decided to get some trekking poles!
                  Yeah, ended up with the Black diamond trail ergo cork for $60 on sale. This was the first trip out and I am sold on them. I started having a problem with my right knee at one point and the poles really helped, especially coming down hill. In a few places I know I would have been sliding on my backside without them.

Here is the link for anyone wanting a heck of a deal:
                  Shop camping & hiking equipment, cycling, watersports & wintersports gear at SunnySports. Wide selection of clothing, shoes, bags & luggages from top brands - North Face, Mammut, Arcteryx, Camelbak & more.

Didn't find any sheds, but I was up too high and knew it. I was scouting the country since I will have a deer tag there this year. Wanted to learn the lay of the land, check some trails in and out of an area, and see what different levels of the hillside held what.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
                    I better start reading!

tending the fire,
                    Bob G.
                    Congrats!! Good luck!

Comment

Looks like you've got you a new Kifaru pack as well?

Comment

what spotting scopes you guys using?

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                          Looks like you've got you a new Kifaru pack as well?
                          Yep, I've got a multi-cam kifaru T1. I also have the XTL lid but chose not to use it for the day hike. What you see is 27 lbs in the original T1 loaded just for the dayhike with a lot of extras to get some weight in it.

After the new duplex timberline came out a couple weeks ago a lot of people started selling their T1's to get the latest and greatest.

I had a kifaru EMR, so I've worn the duplex frame and I prefer the regular Timberline with the adjustable aluminum stays. That things fits better than any pack I've worn yet.

Tookey: I have a Vortex Nomad but that is for places close to the truck, I am packing a Minox md50 when packing in somewhere or carrying it all day.

Comment

What? No blocking out the sign of the wilderness like on Bowsite??? Now everyone will be up there! Ha ha ha

Looks like a great trip!

Comment

Nice find 3D on the T1. Looks quite compact....I was thinking it was a T2 or T3.

Tookey: For Elk hunting, I have not hunted anywhere that I needed a spotter yet. I did recently find a Nikon ED50 for a really good deal. I have not used it in the field yet but hope to break it in on a NV archery deer hunt in AUG. I also have a Theron Saker 16-45x60mm which I use close to the truck for antelope and deer.

I killed a couple hours at Cabela's a couple weeks ago....it was dead in the Optics area so the guy kindly showed me....everything. I went thru the Swaro, Zeiss and Vortex lines of Binos as well as the Cabela's Euro (Meopta Meostar). I'd have to say that optically the Vortex Razor HDs looked just as good as the Swaro EL HDs. The fit and feel of the ELs was the best. I really wanted to like the Cabela's Euro HD but there was a noticable step up with the Razor HD. They only had the Zeiss Conquest HD and not the Victory FL LT which would likely have been more comparable to the Swaros and Razor HD. Anyway for $1200 the Razor was a clear bargain for my short un-scientific test.

Comment

I've been using the Vortex Razor binos for several years now, 10x42 and they have been great.

Comment

Working...
                                X