No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its going to be stinger buzzcuts with the recurve or spitfire magnums with the compound. Im not sure which Im going to hunt with yet. My elk hunt will be late season so we will see how things go before that. Also depends on how many and how big of bulls I can locate before the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
      What broadhead is everyone running this year? The last few seasons I’ve been shooting rage trypans but thinking about switching back to slick trick viper tricks. The plastic collar on the rages make me nervous. The fixed blades would ease my mind and give me one less thing to worry about. I like the rages for deer hunting when I’m not dragging my bow through brush.
      Please don’t shoot an elk with mechanicals. I know some guys do successfully, but they are much bigger and tougher than a deer, can travel a long ways when hit, and often make it onto private land where you can’t trail them.

Listen to episode 454 of the gritty bowmen podcast if you want to hear more about them.

My buddy killed a bull this past year with a 100 gr Slick Trick Magnum. It went in and lodged in the offside shoulder, it sounded like a wooden baseball bat hitting a line drive. We found blood and trailed him a little over 100 yards on a close to 45 degree downhill slope.

The arrow broke off with about 2” attached to the broad head, which was still sharp and could have been hunted with as is.
      Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 05-12-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
        Please don’t shoot an elk with mechanicals. I know some guys do successfully, but they are much bigger and tougher than a deer, can travel a long ways when hit, and often make it onto private land where you can’t trail them.

Listen to episode 454 of the gritty bowmen podcast if you want to hear more about them.

My buddy killed a bull this past year with a 100 gr Slick Trick Magnum. It went in and lodged in the offside shoulder, it sounded like a wooden baseball bat hitting a line drive. We found blood and trailed him a little over 100 yards on a close to 45 degree downhill slope.

The arrow broke off with about 2” attached to the broad head, which was still sharp and could have been hunted with as is.

My setup is better than 90% of the setups people shoot elk with mechanicals with. I shoot 84lbs at 31 1/2” draw length. I shoot a 560gr arrow at 297ft/second. I have no doubt if I put a good shot on a bull it will blow through it. My KE is 104 ft/lbs and it’s plenty to deploy a mechanical at range. Shoulder shots are shoulder shots, you can’t compare one setup to another if you shoot in the shoulder. I’ve tested my setup extensively, I simply don’t want to depend on a plastic collar when I have a bull in front of me. I’ll shoot a deer or pig through the shoulder if sitting in a blind. I just don’t want to be hiking all day, knock an arrow and see the blades already deployed because of the collar.

I’m not a gritty bowmen fan, I listen to Kifarucast. Like you said plenty of folks kill elk with mechanicals with worse setups than mine, I just don’t want to worry about the blades when I pull an arrow.

Comment

^^^ all that may be true but coc broadheads are a whole lot tougher than mechanicals. It'd be real easy to bend or break a rage blade on an elk.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
            ^^^ all that may be true but coc broadheads are a whole lot tougher than mechanicals. It'd be real easy to bend or break a rage blade on an elk.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
              Depends on mechanical and which fixed. A few mechanicals have pretty decent blade thickness and construction. Few fixed that were made failing apart and breaking .
              Last edited by Texans42; 05-13-2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Killed elk with Montecs and Buzzcuts, personally be there for Rage Hypodermic, Muzzy three blade and two blade Zwickey. Shoot them in the lungs and they die.

Stay off Podcasts boys, that crap will drive you crazy.

Comment

Found out two of my buddies, who are brothers and live here in Angelo both drew WY Non-Resident Bull Bison tags!!!! Not sure if they are on here or not. Pretty awesome! Apparently I am not living my life the right way.

Comment

Struck out in Utah

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Found out two of my buddies, who are brothers and live here in Angelo both drew WY Non-Resident Bull Bison tags!!!! Not sure if they are on here or not. Pretty awesome! Apparently I am not living my life the right way.
                      I sent those guys some info on HuntTalk. They're gonna need some help with those bulls. Hoping they need to offload some meat in Laramie!

Comment

PM sent

UOTE=wytex;14147937]I sent those guys some info on HuntTalk. They're gonna need some help with those bulls. Hoping they need to offload some meat in Laramie![/QUOTE]

Comment

Good deal on some great boots if anyone needs any. Regular $305 on sale for $228 at REI.
                          Zamberlan's best-selling backpacking boot, the 996 Vioz GTX® is a tribute to Italian comfort, performance, and design featuring Gore-Tex, Vibram, and Hydrobloc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok so I’ve been talking to a buddy and will be scaling back on my whitetail properties next year, and broadening my horizon into the elk game. With my work i have to schedule a year in advance so it will be pretty much impossible to plan for a draw hunt. So I’m going to go the OTC route I’ve started my research and from the data I’ve see so far the SE region of Colorado (this is the first state I’ve started my research on) is the highest harvest region. Any advice to units in Colorado or even other states is greatly appreciated

TIA COREY!

Comment

I'd definitely still put in for the draw so later down the road you have that option. You can always just get a point and have them send you the OTC license (Colorado draw was in April though). I knew last year on our drive home what date's we'd be coming back this season; look at the moon and plan it out.

GoHunt is a must if you haven't looked into it already. Tells you harvest data, percentage or public vs private land, success rates etc. Ex: one unit may have really high success but its only 20% public land and you need private access to reach half of it.

Start listening to Podcasts while your driving the truck around; the amount of quality info and intel available on some episodes is priceless. Hunt Backcountry, The Rich Outdoors, Jay Scott Outdoors to name a few.
                              Last edited by Patton; 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                                Ok so I’ve been talking to a buddy and will be scaling back on my whitetail properties next year, and broadening my horizon into the elk game. With my work i have to schedule a year in advance so it will be pretty much impossible to plan for a draw hunt. So I’m going to go the OTC route I’ve started my research and from the data I’ve see so far the SE region of Colorado (this is the first state I’ve started my research on) is the highest harvest region. Any advice to units in Colorado or even other states is greatly appreciated

TIA COREY!
                                SE Colorado.... as in the plains? There are some elk but it's all private land so access will likely be an issue.

And I'm always curious about what people do for a living, what line of work are you in that requires a year out planning? If you don't mind me asking.
                                Last edited by TWarren; 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X