No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went on my first archery elk hunt last week. DIY public land in southern WY. Went with my brother and a couple of buddies. I was the only one with a tag this year. Big thanks to Lance, Chris, and Clint for taking their time to help me on the hunt. Took us 4 days to find some elk. Action really started to pick up towards the end of the week when we were leaving. It was hot and windy but that is just part of it. Had an arrow nocked and bugling bulls inside 100 yards 4 different times, but couldn't seal the deal. Had a bad set up and a few swirling winds....and probably some bad calling to boot. It was surreal hearing my first bugles up close and personal! Makes the ol' ticker start to flutter a bit.

Was a great experience and won't be my last hunt of this type. A couple of highlights were the fried grouse one night and the squirrel and dumplings that my buddies whipped up from a couple of their small game hunts. Also had some fresh trout a couple nights. Hiked my fat ace over 58 miles for the week with a pack and bow from 9700 to 10,200 ft. Chased bugles, still hunted, sat wallows. Learned a lot and made a lot of memories. Can't wait for next year. Good luck to everyone that is still after ol' wapiti.

Comment

I hope you’re taking LDPs, Puncher!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
        I hope you’re taking LDPs, Puncher!
        I wish I was! We found a lot more spots of blood this morning, but not enough blood to get the job done we don’t think. Trailed him for around 300 yards and just found spots as big as my thumb the whole way. Then at the end it got to be just a few specks, then nothing. We split up and each took a trail and went as far as we could, no luck. I also checked water with no luck. We also never found the arrow which is weird considering how far out it was sticking. Been listening for crows and coyotes, and haven’t heard either. Will sit back on the same wallow this afternoon and pray he shows back up. Once in a lifetime bull I’m afraid. Thanks guys for the thoughts and prayers, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
          I wish I was! We found a lot more spots of blood this morning, but not enough blood to get the job done we don’t think. Trailed him for around 300 yards and just found spots as big as my thumb the whole way. Then at the end it got to be just a few specks, then nothing. We split up and each took a trail and went as far as we could, no luck. I also checked water with no luck. We also never found the arrow which is weird considering how far out it was sticking. Been listening for crows and coyotes, and haven’t heard either. Will sit back on the same wallow this afternoon and pray he shows back up. Once in a lifetime bull I’m afraid. Thanks guys for the thoughts and prayers, I appreciate it.
          Did same thing in NM few years back, spun like a world champion reining horse.

Saw him two days latter pushing cows,

He will be back.

Comment

I finally came to grips with the fact that I suck at elk hunting, so i blew 4 points on a 1 point unit for deer. I suck less at deer hunting.

Comment

Got close on a couple of mature bulls but the swirling NM winds screwed us every time. Ended up punching my tag and breaking the ice on archery elk though. Killed this trophy spike the last evening. Heck of a good time, and can’t wait till next September!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Traildust just shot a Cinnamon bear.

Bullydog has elk very close.

I saw a chipmunk.
                  Last edited by Chew; 09-17-2018, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Loving the reports! Keep it up!
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

I saw a chipmunk.
                      Ready for Pics.

Comment

Me too

Comment

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post

I saw a chipmunk.
                            How’s the Elk hunting, are they talking yet? Headed up to start hunting Thursday.

Comment

JKBow killed a cow elk. Tough terrain but finally got her out. We'll get the bear in the morning. Got late and its a 45 minute ride to the top of the mountain. Had a 5x5 at 17yrds, just too dark to see my pin. Back at it in the morning.

Comment

Post some pics of the bear, y'all have any luck this morning?

Comment

Working...
                                X