No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time its limited is Over The Counter With Caps like alot of archery bear tags.
    Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
    So I'm starting a new job on March 19th, to say things have been hectic in my life lately is an understatement. Not sure if I'm gonna have the vacation time to burn in September, but if I do, if I don't buy OTC for CO in July, can I pick some up in September? I realize that they are called "Over-The-Counter", but I'm a little confused since they go on sale in July and are available for purchase online, which makes me think there's a limited amount.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
      Not a bad idea if you don't need anything right now and not quite sure what you need. Scopes are cool to have but not really a must unless you are trophy hunting IMO.

There are a bunch of places that rent med-high end optics as well. I have found you are gonna pay about 10% of the gear's retail value per week.
      Yeah, my wife is trying to get me into digiscoping or whatever it is called with the scope and camera. I have an old school Redfield that sucks, but no biggie. I don't use it elk hunting anyway.

I don't NEED any of it, too bad I want so much of it. ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by katdaddy2013 View Post
        a3dhunter, thanks for the sierra trading link on the sassalongs. Ordered me apir and used the coupon. Ca'nt wait to try them on.
        You are welcome.

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        Yeah, my wife is trying to get me into digiscoping or whatever it is called with the scope and camera. I have an old school Redfield that sucks, but no biggie. I don't use it elk hunting anyway.

I don't NEED any of it, too bad I want so much of it. ha ha ha
        If I only bought what I needed I could save thousands each year.

Comment

for those that are serious about hunting the west, hunting the mountains and backpacking in, etc.... you can checkout a new website:

Comment

Already read all the articles the day it came out. Was sitting in the Denver airport, waiting on late planes. Actually learned something. Ha ha ha Hope it does well.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
              for those that are serious about hunting the west, hunting the mountains and backpacking in, etc.... you can checkout a new website:
              http://www.rokslide.com/forums/forum.php
              Wow, looks cool! Thanks for posting that.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
                Have you tried some of the Primos mini dome style calls? They seem like they would sit towards the front of your mouth better and maybe help with the gag reflex. I also cut down almost every mouth call I use.
                I have before and not a whole lot of luck. However, I'm going to keep at it. Got out my Elknuts videos again. Should be a good way to get going...again

Comment

[ame="http://vimeo.com/37118567"]Big Agnes Sleeping System on Vimeo[/ame]

Here is a link to some videos from rokslide and Mr Mule Deer.

Comment

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/forum.php
                    This site is great. Started by David Long and your buddy Aron Snyder.

Comment

I more day to put in for the UT draws....points only have another week.

Comment

I more day to put in for the UT draws....points only have another week.

https://www.utah-hunt.com/%28S%28bvj...9/Default.aspx
                        Done here.

Comment

Training update, went to the State Park out here with the wife and kids last night. Went by the **** and realized it is a huge rock scree in itself! Got to get some new boots and then the pack training will take on a whole new level. I will post picks when I get up there this weekend. Us flatlanders have to improvise.

Comment

It is the OC Fisher dam. Guess I used the wrong spelling.

Comment

This site is great. Started by David Long and your buddy Aron Snyder.
                              yeah, I went from checking 2 websites several times daily to now checking three.

Lot of input from some highly skilled people on that website, people with a lot of years in the mountains. Some of those guys spend upwards of 100 days in the backcountry each year.

I want to see how the challenge between David and Aron works out this year, Aron has to hold out for a 180" mule deer and they are deciding how big of an archery OTC bull David will have to get. Aron has trouble holding out on anything, he'll shoot the first small 140-150" buck he sees.

Comment

yeah, I went from checking 2 websites several times daily to now checking three.

Lot of input from some highly skilled people on that website, people with a lot of years in the mountains. Some of those guys spend upwards of 100 days in the backcountry each year.

I want to see how the challenge between David and Aron works out this year, Aron has to hold out for a 180" mule deer and they are deciding how big of an archery OTC bull David will have to get. Aron has trouble holding out on anything, he'll shoot the first small 140-150" buck he sees.
                                Ha...I'm now at 3 as well. That site is gonna turn into a good'n!

I saw that challenge thread...I chimed in on that with some P&Y stats but didn't realize it was for an OTC Elk. I said 338" but that's a pretty tall order for OTC CO. I wonder if Aron is gonna go up where David has been killing those big bucks to try for his 180?

If you talk to Aron, tell him they need to film those hunts. I'd buy that DVD in heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X