The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
    Dang Terry just tell your brother to buy you a tag as well and you will go where ever he wants.
    You can also tell him you know someone who will pack out any animal he shoots if he buys me a tag as well!!!

Comment

Thanks Terry, it's been 10 years since I went last. Its funny how the memories of the area are stuck in my mind.

I will still do a trip to scout so I can see what water holes are stil working, vegetation ad so on. The plan will also be to get in place a few days a head of time to see whats going on so im ready day one. Didnt do that on my last trip and it cost me. That last trip I took a 3x3 muley noon the first day so I could focus on an elk I had seen in the morning (a monter 7x7). Of course I saw a monster muley 4x4 later that day and not the bull.

Comment

I think someone asked earlier but didnt get an answer.

When is an ideal time to scout for archery hunts? June-july time frame?

Comment

Originally posted by reedjj View Post
          I think someone asked earlier but didnt get an answer.

When is an ideal time to scout for archery hunts? June-july time frame?
          Late July or early August if at all. During June they can still be transitioning.

I scouted the last weekend of July and then two weeks before season opened. I found that the elk were in the same place during both trips and counted over 175 elk in two basins, but during the last two weeks the majority of them moved 3 miles and where they had been there was nothing.
          I covered 5 miles the day before season and didn't see any fresh sign. I got some elevation and started glassing the last hour before dark the day before season opened and finally spotted them.
          I had to completely relocate and found guys with horses were on them before I could get there the next morning, and they blew them out and down into the steep and deep and onto private land.

I figure scouting is more to learn the lay of the land and find old wallows and bedding areas, the elk will move and be in different areas than what you see in July.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
            Late July or early August if at all. During June they can still be transitioning.

I scouted the last weekend of July and then two weeks before season opened. I found that the elk were in the same place during both trips and counted over 175 elk in two basins, but during the last two weeks the majority of them moved 3 miles and where they had been there was nothing.
            I covered 5 miles the day before season and didn't see any fresh sign. I got some elevation and started glassing the last hour before dark the day before season opened and finally spotted them.
            I had to completely relocate and found guys with horses were on them before I could get there the next morning, and they blew them out and down into the steep and deep and onto private land.

I figure scouting is more to learn the lay of the land and find old wallows and bedding areas, the elk will move and be in different areas than what you see in July.
            THIS^^^^^^^ This or something very similar is what has happened to me more times than I want to think about. It will make you sick. Another reason why I am not a fan of scouting a day or two before the season in a OTC unit or one that takes very few points is. If you do find elk and they see or smell you? Don't plan on seeing those elk again. They will be GONE.

The only scouting I want to do in those couple of days is glass.
            Last edited by ELKAHOLIC; 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Ok, so what are the thoughts on shed hunting an area?

Comment

Originally posted by Liven4TheHunt View Post
                Better get there by April or they will be gone, few and far between

Comment

Originally posted by Liven4TheHunt View Post
                  Go to the Gila and follow them around till they fall off. Then take off running and see if you can beat the other people to it.

I have not done this but I would love to. I have heard it is kinda like this. ^^^

Comment

Cheaper than buying a tag I guess???? Ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                      Go to the Gila and follow them around till they fall off. Then take off running and see if you can beat the other people to it.

I have not done this but I would love to. I have heard it is kinda like this. ^^^
                      I work at an auto dealership in service dept. on I-40 and we know of people who have had vehicle trouble on their way down there to pick up sheds. They were coming from back east somewhere and were talking about a 1500-1800 mile trip to get down there and they fill up a 6x10 trailer full of sheds that they make furniture and lamps out of.

Comment

BTW guys, I'm headed up to Colorado this weekend.

Will spend some time near Cuchara and La Veta near the Spanish Peaks, then on up to Colorado Springs.

Hope you guys enjoy this Texas weather while I'm gone!

Comment

Just landed in Denver! Snow and 23 degrees, awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                            BTW guys, I'm headed up to Colorado this weekend.

Will spend some time near Cuchara and La Veta near the Spanish Peaks, then on up to Colorado Springs.

Hope you guys enjoy this Texas weather while I'm gone!
                            Originally posted by TWP View Post
                            Just landed in Denver! Snow and 23 degrees, awesome!!!
                            I hate it here I want to move up there so bad!

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                              I hate it here I want to move up there so bad!
                              I'll be moving my fifth wheel up to Colorado Springs to a friends house so I have somewhere to stay while checking on jobs and looking for a house.

Comment

Sweet!!! Congrats man. Gonna be in Gods country, "marrow of the world" as they say. Will give you a shout this summer when I do a couple scouting trips. Maybe talk you and Snyder into teaching me the ways of the wapiti.

Comment

Working...
                                X