Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
    If you buy a call, practice now! I bought a cow call Saturday, and sounded like a wounded rabbit.
    that's the idaho elk call, brings the wolves in like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      Awesome tips! Need more tips suggestions for folks and myself to learn from. Gear and gizmos are fine and dandy, but they don't put elk on the ground. Techniques and tactics do.

How many are going to take at least one scouting trip this year?
      The heck with scouting trip, I plan on quitting my job and moving up there soon.

One of the things I've really seen ignored is the virtual scouting you can do on google earth. While it can't tell you what is under the tree cover, it can let you see where the cover is, how thick it is, and where the open feeding areas are located.
      You can also pick up on benches that the elk may like.

The one thing I keep seeing all over the state of Colorado are where there is a north or east facing steep slope off of a bench type area, you will usually find bedding areas. There are times the bedding areas are just off the top of the bench, but plenty of times at the bottom of a steep slope I'll find bedding areas right as the slope lessens.
      It seems the bulls really like the higher bedding areas and the cows like the lower. I have found a lot of these on finger ridges off of a main ridgeline.

Depending on when you are hunting you have to hunt them right.
      In the morning hunt from the top headed downhill.
      In the evenings hunt from the bottom.
      I will pay attention to the wind and if the wind isn't right you can sidehill until it shifts, then use it to your advantage.

I've had plenty of times where the wind isn't right, and it's better to retreat than force the issue and bust the elk out of there.
      When you get sloppy with the wind, you get busted.

Comment

Great point 3d, thermals folks! Thermals! We don't think about it being flat landers, but it is vital.

Comment

If anyone is interested in hunting Idaho this year let me know as I would be more than willing to help you out and show you around.

Comment

Idaho looks legit. OTC tags cheap, and hunt lots of critters at the same time. Looked at it, but looks like I'm gonna have to Colorado.

Comment

Ya mulies and elk at the same time. If anyone is interested though I am serious. If I get lucky and draw a bighorn tag though i won't probably be elk hunting.

Comment

My crew drew Wyoming Elk again with 0 points!!!!!!!

Comment

Heck yeah!!!!! Congrats! Hunted the same unit before I'm guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                    Heck yeah!!!!! Congrats! Hunted the same unit before I'm guessing?
                    Yeah...same place we hunted last year. I killed a Bull and my buddy stuck one that we could not find. Great thing is we barely scratched the surface last year so I've got a half dozen spots we never even checked out....plenty of Elk in there!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      Yeah...same place we hunted last year. I killed a Bull and my buddy stuck one that we could not find. Great thing is we barely scratched the surface last year so I've got a half dozen spots we never even checked out....plenty of Elk in there!
                      That's awesome, drthornton. Good luck up there, but it sounds like you got a lot figured out anyway.

Comment

My crew drew Wyoming Elk again with 0 points!!!!!!!
                        Awesome!!! I thought we would have to wait till the 23rd? How did you find out?

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                          Awesome!!! I thought we would have to wait till the 23rd? How did you find out?
                          They posted on Facebook and the website they would post results early.
                          WY really has their S together on these draws. All the draw stats for 2012 Elk are posted as well.

Go to the following link and type in your info

I keep going back and checking because I can't believe we drew.
                          Last edited by drthornton; 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Crap just looked we missed.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                              Crap just looked we missed.
                              You guys chasing Limited units or going for General?

WY is an opportunity state for us so it's General tag for us every other year or if we get lucky, like this year, it's 2 years in a row.

This was the first year since the draw stabalized(3-4 years) that you were not 100% to draw a GEN tag with 1 point. More tags than last year but also more hunters applying. With the point creep in the limited units some guys may be giving up on them.

Comment

They posted on Facebook and the website they would post results early.
                                WY really has their S together on these draws. All the draw stats for 2012 Elk are posted as well.

Go to the following link and type in your info

I keep going back and checking because I can't believe we drew.
                                Thanks for the link, looks like its points only for us this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X