The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    Look at Levi Morgan. He has killed a ton of big critters with the swhackers. I would want to be shooting 420+ grains.

Here is my honest thoughts on elk and broadheads. I will always have 3 fixed blade heads and two mechanical heads in my quiver. In my opinion
    There is no reason you have to choose one.

If I am calling elk or feel I can get within 60 yards I will have the fixed blade locked and loaded no questions asked. The one thing that worries me with a mechanical is the frontal or quartering to shot if calling.

If I stalk in and have a bull perfectly still broadside/quartering away at 70-100 and I feel I can make the shot I will shoot the mechanical. Also follow up shots past 60 the mechanical is a good choice.

Ps these are just my thoughts. I have killed a bull moose but no elk so I'm not claiming to be an expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have killed a lot of elk with my bow, IMO, you only need one broadhead GK Silver flame 125XL. It flies like a field tip out to 100 yds. I know everyone says they are so expensive, but when you are into a Elk hunt for 5k to 10k, whats another 300 for an incredible BH?

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
      I have killed a lot of elk with my bow, IMO, you only need one broadhead GK Silver flame 125XL. It flies like a field tip out to 100 yds. I know everyone says they are so expensive, but when you are into a Elk hunt for 5k to 10k, whats another 300 for an incredible BH?

I shot my moose with the 125 regular silver flame. It flies to 100 no problem. I haven't ever tried getting the XL to fly that far. My only complain with the regular is if you hit them high in the lungs you won't get much for a blood trail. This new head I'm looking at is pretty much a standard GK with bleeders

Comment

I think I'm going to try these for my Elk trip this year:

I just ordered some, can't wait to see how they fly..

Comment

My only complaint about the Ironwill is I wish the main 2 blades were just a hair wider

Comment

Well heck. Such a letdown not getting drawn. Wish I had the money for a landowner tag but it's not in the cards this year. Best of luck to everyone going this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Well heck. Such a letdown not getting drawn. Wish I had the money for a landowner tag but it's not in the cards this year. Best of luck to everyone going this year.

Check into unit 51. Landowner tags are pretty reasonable there from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                I think I'm going to try these for my Elk trip this year:

I just ordered some, can't wait to see how they fly..

Those are good heads. I tested them out before my moose hunt. I couldn't get them to fly past 60 or so tho

Comment

The Elk Thread

I just ordered this new bag for my duplex frame. It should be perfect for day/overnight hunts. It's a small day pack that is 1700 Ci without the guide lid. I can add a guide lid and be at around 3000 Ci. It also has a meat shelf which I like. I got the ranger green color

Comment

I just ordered this new bag for my duplex frame. It should be perfect for day/overnight hunts. It's a small day pack that is 1700 Ci without the guide lid. I can add a guide lid and be at around 3000 Ci. It also has a meat shelf which I like. I got the ranger green color

I really like my Duplex frame but I've never found a bag from Kifaru that I love. I've got a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 bag on mine right now that can be expanded to hold a dry bag for more room. For early season day hunts the frame on the duplex and the bag keep the heat trapped on me. I go with a Kuiu Icon Pro 1,800 with stays, shoulder straps and a belt (no frame).

I'd be interested to see how that bag works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                      I really like my Duplex frame but I've never found a bag from Kifaru that I love. I've got a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 bag on mine right now that can be expanded to hold a dry bag for more room. For early season day hunts the frame on the duplex and the bag keep the heat trapped on me. I go with a Kuiu Icon Pro 1,800 with stays, shoulder straps and a belt (no frame).

I'd be interested to see how that bag works out for you.
                      I felt the same way for a long time. Every Kifaru bag I bought I "liked" but had a list of complaints that went along with each one. Their new Reckoning is the 1st bag I've owned of theirs that I can without a doubt say I have zero complaints about..

Comment

Anyone going to Colorado this year and using otc tags? We are going to give it a go this year just narrowing down the units now and trying to pick one.

Comment

Been going since 05 OTC. Apply for points every year, landowner tags not worth the price to me. Look forward to going every year, always different every year.

Comment

Originally posted by scoutman View Post
                            Been going since 05 OTC. Apply for points every year, landowner tags not worth the price to me. Look forward to going every year, always different every year.
                            This will be my first year going. I'm not expecting too much but I'm going to try and learn everything I can the first year I'm planning on going to scout in July once I narrow it down to a unit.

Comment

Is that an EXO 1800

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                                Is that an EXO 1800

Lol no clue if they copied it or not. All I know is my kifaru carries weight like a champ [emoji1316]

Comment

Working...
                                X