Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics. Sorry no bull but looks like a great hunt

Comment

These pics are making me antsy! Hurry up Thursday evening!

Comment

I know, I'm heading out friday. I feel like I wont be able to get all my work done in time because I'm mentally preoccupied . . .

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post

I am sure havin a good time hanging with my mom and seeing a bunch of country in the Great Plains states I've never seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
          Watch out for dysentery...

Comment

So once the bulls start bugling good, how long does it generally last? We are heading out this weekend to New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
              So once the bulls start bugling good, how long does it generally last? We are heading out this weekend to New Mexico.
              They usually don't bugle non-stop even when they are going crazy. They may bugle one or two days really well and then be quiet the next 3 days. We've had that happen many times. It really varies but they will definitely take breaks from bugling. Some of it is weather dependant too.

If you can find a wallow....that is a great thing to hunt if they are not bugling. Elk in the rut don't like being clean for very long. They will visit a wallow every few days to "freshen up"....and multiple bulls will be using that wallow. We had 5 different bulls visit (on trail camera) a wallow we were hunting in 2 days.

Sent from my GS7

Comment

Buddy that we are meeting up with on Wednesday killed this one Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  They usually don't bugle non-stop even when they are going crazy. They may bugle one or two days really well and then be quiet the next 3 days. We've had that happen many times. It really varies but they will definitely take breaks from bugling. Some of it is weather dependant too.

If you can find a wallow....that is a great thing to hunt if they are not bugling. Elk in the rut don't like being clean for very long. They will visit a wallow every few days to "freshen up"....and multiple bulls will be using that wallow. We had 5 different bulls visit (on trail camera) a wallow we were hunting in 2 days.

Sent from my GS7
                  Thank you. This is very helpful. This is my first time and evidently they started bugling well the night before last. We will be getting to camp on Saturday and hunting for 7 days starting Sunday 9/18. Hopefully the guides have a plan of attack for us and it would be awesome if the bulls are talking!

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                    Thank you. This is very helpful. This is my first time and evidently they started bugling well the night before last. We will be getting to camp on Saturday and hunting for 7 days starting Sunday 9/18. Hopefully the guides have a plan of attack for us and it would be awesome if the bulls are talking!
                    Best of luck! Sounds like you are timing it right. I went too early.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Best of luck! Sounds like you are timing it right. I went too early.
                      Sorry you guys had a rough hunt but hopefully I have something positive to report in about 2 weeks from now! Thanks for the well wishes Chew

Comment

TICK.............................................. ............TICK.................................. ........TICK
                        36 hours till I head west!
                        The reports I am getting is that it is pretty slow right now. That's good news for folks like me that like to wait and hunt the last 10 days!

Comment

Leaving Friday at 4:00 am driving straight thru to GMU 70, hunting Public in SW Colorado. With some luck we can get some heavy cloud cover and block out that full moon! Starting to feel a little excitement after seeing all the success here.

Comment

Any of you gents headed around Leadville let me know, I've got a few leads for you.

Comment

It was a little cold for me

Last edited by Texans42; 09-12-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                                TICK.............................................. ............TICK.................................. ........TICK
                                36 hours till I head west!
                                The reports I am getting is that it is pretty slow right now. That's good news for folks like me that like to wait and hunt the last 10 days!
                                We are leaving on Saturday.
                                Right behind you. Craig has an Elk tag and I'm going to try my luck at a Bear this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X