Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
    That's a good tag!!!! And they mostly will be talking. A buddy hunted last season only to backstrap a 340bull and they where talking. He drew Mulie tag also and found a hammer, ended up giving up and found and called that bull in the last two days.

I'll see what he will let loose. I've scouted it several years ago and found elk pretty quickly but that was in July. I was on the northern edge south of Magdelena hugging private. Carry a GPS with map card. Few outfitters kind think they are land owners.

NICE!!!!!! A big bull like that would be a dream come true, but I'll most likely shoot the first one I see lol
    Any chance he'd be willing to help a brutha out with some areas I need to check!?!? Or any maps he may have used!?

I'm going to make a couple trips over there between now and then but I'm really clueless on where to spend my time, it's a pretty big unit
    Last edited by TGoody; 05-11-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Just 2 more weeks till the colorado draw

Comment

Anyone ever hunt 80/81 in Colorado? Ever see any decent bulls there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got a second trip coming up to Wy in 2 years. We go every other year, I drew a cow tag this year (archery Sept 9th through the 16th). But I am seriously slipping on working out! I got 4 months left and need to get my 43 year old *** in gear! Need energy! Im tripping out!

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            Anyone ever hunt 80/81 in Colorado? Ever see any decent bulls there?

JT, I will be up there this weekend. I will be hunting up there the first and last week of the season this year. Season dates are much earlier this year with how the calendar fell. I have fished the Conejos quite a bit and saw lots of elk in July up high. However, this will be first year hunting it.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by TWP View Post
              JT, I will be up there this weekend. I will be hunting up there the first and last week of the season this year. Season dates are much earlier this year with how the calendar fell. I have fished the Conejos quite a bit and saw lots of elk in July up high. However, this will be first year hunting it.

I've only been once. We hunt around platora reservoir. The hard part I have noticed with that area is the fact that there is tons of access. That said we didn't really run into any hunters last time.

We're hunting the first week of September this year and then maybe the last week if we don't kill a elk.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                I've only been once. We hunt around platora reservoir. The hard part I have noticed with that area is the fact that there is tons of access. That said we didn't really run into any hunters last time.

We're hunting the first week of September this year and then maybe the last week if we don't kill a elk.
                There is a lot of access points if the river is crossable and a lot of hunters, if the river is up the access is reduced some to the area around the trailhead bridges. During the rifle season is is a steady stream of trucks driving the road to platoro and glassing the surrounding mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
                  There is a lot of access points if the river is crossable and a lot of hunters, if the river is up the access is reduced some to the area around the trailhead bridges. During the rifle season is is a steady stream of trucks driving the road to platoro and glassing the surrounding mountains.

The main spot I am gonna try first had tons of elk sign last time I was there. It isn't a long hike 1.5-2 miles but a lot of it is strait up. Like all fours steep and so I think that will keep some people out. We never saw anyone else in there during archery/muzzleloader the year we were there.

Comment

Well, looks like I won't be scouting this weekend, the road I need on is still closed due to snow. Either way, headed to go hangout at Kifaru and RMSGear.

Comment

Just a heads up.... Colorado has drawn for deer tags. The back door is working. Elk may be coming in the next week or two
                      Last edited by Felix40; 05-17-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                        Just a heads up.... Colorado has drawn for deer tags. The back door is working. Elk may be coming in the next week or two

Sweet...no preference points for me. Looks like I'm going deer hunting!

Comment

Just a heads up, I've got a mountainsmith mountain shelter Lt and REI XT 85 for anyone looking for a solid budget flourless shelter or pack in the classifieds.

Comment

Has anybody here hunted GMU 82? My buddy and I are trying to plan out a hunt for next year. It will be our first elk hunt and we are looking to go the OTC DIY route. We are looking through the topo maps and analyzing terrain. We are both firefighters with previous military experience so we are in pretty good shape. That being said we have spent little to no time in anything other than foothills. We want to get into areas that will eliminate the ATVs and 1 mile off the road hunters, but we aren't trying to break out climbing rope either. What I'm getting at is are we trying to bite off more than we can chew or are we on the right track? Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Selling a kifaru duplex timberline 1 in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Comment

3 weeks until train to hunt Texas and my *** is out of shape. I've been hitting the crossfit gym for the last 3 weeks and started two A days this week. Just hoping I can make enough progress in the next 3 weeks to compete

Comment

Working...
                                X