The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

Ok gents, I'm gonna apply in New Mexico. Gonna apply in 45, 53, and 52. I figure so many people put in for the Gila that my odds are better in other units. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
      Ok gents, I'm gonna apply in New Mexico. Gonna apply in 45, 53, and 52. I figure so many people put in for the Gila that my odds are better in other units. Thoughts?
      Seems like a good idea. I know several of the non-resident elk hunters on here really break down the non-resident stats will chime in to help.
      I'm curious how the new unit 6b(valle calderas) will work out as far as odds go.

Comment

my advice if you want a premium unit is to find an outfitter that does "semi guided" IE: let you use there outfitter number when applying. I know there are a few that do that for Ibex

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
          my advice if you want a premium unit is to find an outfitter that does "semi guided" IE: let you use there outfitter number when applying. I know there are a few that do that for Ibex

Man, I don't really like drop camps. I think it limits your mobility.

Comment

Man, I don't really like drop camps. I think it limits your mobility.

It's not a drop camp. Your just paying for their guide number to double your chance of drawing

Comment

If you know someone that offers that service, send me a link or two man.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                That is true, so many people think they have to hunt the Gila, or 9A in AZ, or the Paunt or Henry's in Utah for mule deer. Thankfully there are lots of tags that are easy draw or OTC all over the west.
                Shhhh!!! No there's not!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                  NM landowner tags are off the chart this year, I hear some unit 15 tags are selling for $7500 and 16a $12000. I dont know how much more it can go up.
                  Still a ways to go, they haven't caught up with premium hunts in a cpl other states yet.

Comment

Well...I'm now the owner of a NM Unit 34 cow elk tag... This will be my first time hunting elk or doing any back country hunting. Should be interesting..

It's gonna be a long 8 months waiting!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      Shhhh!!! No there's not!!!
                      Coming from the newbie! ha ha ha ha

Good luck on your hunt this year.

Comment

If you know someone that offers that service, send me a link or two man.
                        We used the "semi-guided" outfitter route 2 years ago for unit 34 but didn't draw. The outfitter actually has to hunt with you a few days or they can lose their outfitter license. We used Justin Medina of Arrowhead Outfitters. It really ups the chances of drawing but we were just not lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                          Well...I'm now the owner of a NM Unit 34 cow elk tag... This will be my first time hunting elk or doing any back country hunting. Should be interesting..

It's gonna be a long 8 months waiting!!!
                          Congrats but I am confused? Their app deadline isn't for another few weeks.

Now that you hunt elk you MUST join the RMEF. It is law.

Is it rifle, archery or muzzleloader?

You are in for some tasty meat! Elk Spaghetti, elk hamburger steak smothered in onions, elk peppercorn crusted steak, elk roast, elk cutlet fajitas, elk stuffed bell peppers are my favorite recipes!

Comment

Just got my receipts. now the wait for N.M. draw. My favorite unit has become hard to draw since they split the season. Only 6 tags per season.

Comment

Put in my application for NM, keeping my fingers crossed for a pecos wilderness tag.

Comment

Put in my application for NM, keeping my fingers crossed for a pecos wilderness tag.
                                Hunted it last year, missed a 3's(twice lol) ended up killing his satellite 2's.

Get in shape
                                Last edited by Texans42; 03-15-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X