The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't apply for deer yet in Arizona.

The outdoor channel is running 4 elk hunting shows in a row. Not much sleep getting done tonight.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Got it submitted. Unit 1 and 27

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post

I'm in for 1,27,9,10

Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
          I'm in for 1,27,9,10

Good luck to you.
          Dang you! I am also in for 27 and 1. Lol I guess I'll be going to my otc Montana spot this year

Comment

Here is a topic for off-season discussion. How do those you that hunt Grizzly country protect yourselves?

Do you head out later in the morning and earlier in the evening to avoid hunting in the dark?

Do you always have a buddy with you?

Bearspray and gun or just one or the other?

Electric bear fence?

We first hunted our area in 2014 and still laugh about our first few nights in our one man tents with brush piled around so we could hear any critters before they got to us. It turns out we didn't need them because we spent all night asking each other if the other one heard that noise.

We have only seen one Griz in two years but they are always at the back of our minds.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
              Dang you! I am also in for 27 and 1. Lol I guess I'll be going to my otc Montana spot this year

Yea it will be a while before I get drawn for any of these units, but someone has to get lucky. I would love to come out and help if someone on here gets drawn for these units.

Comment

Yea it will be a while before I get drawn for any of these units, but someone has to get lucky. I would love to come out and help if someone on here gets drawn for these units.
                I don't even care if I don't get drawn. I am going elk hunting anyway and I am almost a little afraid of the pressure to shoot a big bull on one of those tags.

Comment

I don't even care if I don't get drawn. I am going elk hunting anyway and I am almost a little afraid of the pressure to shoot a big bull on one of those tags.

The only pressure I feel is what I put on myself. I expect more out of myself than what anyone could expect of me. I'm in a bunch of draws so hopefully something is pulled. If not I'll be in Colorado or Idaho. If oil picks up I might find a landowner tag for New Mexico. Elk hunting is a sickness. I need it

Comment

You have nothing to worry about, all I do is donate money .

I'll have my NM draw(donation) submitted by end of the week.

Comment

What are you putting in for in New Mexico if you don't mind me asking. I've already got my stuff locked down so I'm not trying to steal any ideas. Just curious, you can pm me if you want.

Comment

What are you putting in for in New Mexico if you don't mind me asking. I've already got my stuff locked down so I'm not trying to steal any ideas. Just curious, you can pm me if you want.

Elk - 15,16a, 16d
                        Deer 2b, 33

Comment

Elk - 15,16a, 16d
                          Deer 2b, 33

Going big with those numbers. Good luck to you.

Comment

I applied there once and not drawn. I'm in training for a scout trip to the NM mountains in the summer. Kinda would like to not waste the effort and hit the elk as well this year. May be one of my last opportunities.

Comment

I here ya. I am tired of putting in for NM. I think this year I'll just do sheep, tired of floating enough money to buy a new car then never drawing a tag.

The only pressure I feel is what I put on myself. I expect more out of myself than what anyone could expect of me. I'm in a bunch of draws so hopefully something is pulled. If not I'll be in Colorado or Idaho. If oil picks up I might find a landowner tag for New Mexico. Elk hunting is a sickness. I need it
                              Nobody I know cares what I shoot. Its just the thought of how many years I have been putting in for that tag and wanting to make it count.

Comment

Here is a topic for off-season discussion. How do those you that hunt Grizzly country protect yourselves?

Do you head out later in the morning and earlier in the evening to avoid hunting in the dark?

Do you always have a buddy with you?

Bearspray and gun or just one or the other?

Electric bear fence?

We first hunted our area in 2014 and still laugh about our first few nights in our one man tents with brush piled around so we could hear any critters before they got to us. It turns out we didn't need them because we spent all night asking each other if the other one heard that noise.

We have only seen one Griz in two years but they are always at the back of our minds.
                                Nobody hunts in Grizzly country?

Comment

Working...
                                X