No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am finally back home. Haven't hit the hills yet but have heard numerous rumors that the Bulls are talking like crazy. May be because of the 70 degree days and 30 degree nights that are happening. Setting our antelope blind up tonight and will try and make a quick day hunt before the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
      Got to N.M. wed. night. Set camp Thursday and began scouting.
      Started having severe chest pains Thursday. Went to Los Alamos hospital Friday am and was sent by ambulance to Albuquerque. No heart problems but blood pressure was 219 over 110. It is sunday and bp is down and will check out in 2hrs.
      Not a good start to elk season. Hope it gets better.
      Wow that's no bueno hope it isn't anything to serious.

We hunted Saturday until we got rained out and absolutely soaked around noon. Had to bail since all our gear was soaked and we didn't expect to get rained on. Did see a couple nice bulls go running by our waterhole that some dude had spooked up by making a god awful racket with a cow call. Also we were getting into a talking group of cows and the same asshat spooked them off as well by calling way to much and way to aggressively and sounded like he had bought the call Friday to use Saturday. But that just comes with hunting public land.

We will be back out there this weekend with rain gear in tow.
      Last edited by westtexducks; 08-31-2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

48 hours till we leave for Utah!

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
          48 hours till we leave for Utah!
          Good Luck!

9 more days for me

Comment

Just got some pics from my guide. Took these this past weekend. OK now I'm getting a little excited.

Comment

Good Gosh All Mighty!!!!!! I would be a little excited too. Good luck!

Comment

Leaving Germany tomorrow, kiss the wife, pet the dog, pack my mountain gear and off to the Gila for second season archery! Just found out it will be a solo hunt, so things may get interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  Good Luck!

9 more days for me
                  These last few days of waiting are the hardest!

Comment

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
                    Leaving Germany tomorrow, kiss the wife, pet the dog, pack my mountain gear and off to the Gila for second season archery! Just found out it will be a solo hunt, so things may get interesting...

Which unit? I may be able to help you out. Best thing about a lot of that country is much lower elevation and you can usually get a truck close. I know 15 and 21a well, if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Which unit? I may be able to help you out. Best thing about a lot of that country is much lower elevation and you can usually get a truck close. I know 15 and 21a well, if that helps.
                      As a matter of fact, I am going to be in 21A. I've been deployed since tags dropped so I haven't scouted. I have hunted 16B bordering 21A to the west, and planned on starting somewhere close to the boundary there between chloride and hermosa. Google earth displayed some promising imagery, I even found a small heard using it.

Comment

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
                        As a matter of fact, I am going to be in 21A. I've been deployed since tags dropped so I haven't scouted. I have hunted 16B bordering 21A to the west, and planned on starting somewhere close to the boundary there between chloride and hermosa. Google earth displayed some promising imagery, I even found a small heard using it.

You are in luck my friend, I hunted mulies second week of the season last year and found a couple big boys. If you are in good shape I can show you where I found them. Shoot me a PM

Comment

Goodluck to you all this season! I leave for New Mexico early monday morning! First time ever chasing Elk!

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                            Goodluck to you all this season! I leave for New Mexico early monday morning! First time ever chasing Elk!
                            You know a guy named Hobratsch?

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                              You know a guy named Hobratsch?
                              I do, how do you know him?

Comment

I've known him since I was in grade school. He and my brother are the same age (4-years younger than me). We have fished together a lot....mostly on the San Gabriel. His dad and my dad used to be running buddies, back in the day. Hobratsch is about is good as they get....won't find many better. I still talk to him a good bit...more in hunting season. I see him probably once per year.

Comment

Working...
                                X