Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished re-supplying my kill kit. Ready for 18 days in the mountains

Comment

It looks like basically the whole north half of unit 75 is national forest, except for the very tip.

Comment

I studied unit 75 a while back and if I recall, the NF land closer to Durango is lower, heavily treed mountains and closer tp Silverton is getting into alpine country.

Comment

Lots of trail access close to Silverton.

Comment

The mountains cannot come soon enough. I will be hunting NE of Pagosa Springs, 2nd season rifle from October 16 - October 23.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	24396114

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	24396115

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	24396116

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
              It looks like basically the whole north half of unit 75 is national forest, except for the very tip.
              Is all of the national forest accessible for hunting? I thought it was just parts of it.

Comment

It is as long as you have the gumption to get into it. You may have difficulty finding parking. IDK.

Comment

Actually, I had studied 74, not 75. The terrain is likely similar, but the trails I mentioned are in 74.
                  Study Google earth and locate forest service roads and trails. You can also study topography maps on line.

Comment

Guys, try to find spots elk won't be first. This is a true generalization, but get on that atlas and find areas that are away from roads and trails if you can. Be ready to hike off trail, which can get a little crazy with blowdowns and such. Find 4-5 spots you can get into and out of.

Comment

Yeah. I should clarify. I don't mean find roads & trails to hunt from, just to access the cpuntry a little.

Comment

Can you just camp anywhere in the national forest? I don't have a problem hiking a good distance. I might be going at it solo though.

Comment

As far as I know, yes. That's not the case in national parks, but you can't hunt there.
                          Oh, and getting an elk oit solo will be very difficult. Consider contacting a horse/mule packer to get your elk out when you get one down.

Comment

First two shots yesterday morning at 60 yards. Come on September!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                              Funny how a week can change an Elk season. Pulling that UT tag as an alternate with a WY tag in my pocket has my head spinning. My hunting buddy was very understanding of how special this UT tag is. We are going to hunt both as my WY spot is only about 350 miles from the UT unit.

Got this pic from a local who had the tag in 2012. He ended up killing a 340 when he couldn't get it done with this big boy! Gives me a good idea of the caliber of bull available in the unit.
                              Come on!!! Let him grow a bit amigo. Good luck on your hunt, I have got to spend some time in Eastern Utah and got to spend one evening in the rain with a big bull moose, bunch of in velvet bucks and a herd of elk. One of the best evenings of my life!!! Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                                Can you just camp anywhere in the national forest? I don't have a problem hiking a good distance. I might be going at it solo though.
                                If going solo, you need to stay relatively close to the vehicle, relatively close is a general term depending on the weather, your fitness and terrain. Don't stress too much, best thing is to get into elk or keep moving until you do. I personally have had success throwing a location bugle out at night to help me find elk, i have been woken several times a night by bugling from elk that were silent during the day.

As for meat care, check this out. http://www.grittybowmen.com/gritty-p...th-aron-snyder

Remember, these darn critters are awfully big, have a game plan of breaking it down especially if going solo.

Comment

Working...
                                X