The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My elk hunt is oct 5-10.

Just got news yesterday that my internal clavicle rod must be removed wed. September 3rd

the expected recovery time is 1 month

Good thing is that my tag is for open season so if I am not able to regain enough strength for my bow, using a rifle is an option.

I will start a new thread Wednesday showing my surgery and recovery up through the hunt to help any bowhunters that might need shoulder area incisions in the future.

(the incision will be in between my clavicle and shoulder blade at the bottom of my trap)

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
      That is a great bull!!!! Do they have to hunt that early or was it by choice??
      Choice....That super tag gets to hunt an entire year with any weapon and in any unit.

Of course I put in for that tag every year and yes I know how terrible the odds are. I just can't help it. I even watch the stream they have on the night of the drawing.

Comment

Here is a couple pics of the bigger boys we are after!!

Comment

Nice bulls!

Comment

I know several guys that are in elk camp for the NM first season opener in the morning.

We have a pretty large hunting family that includes close friends and when someone draws a good tag there is usually plenty of help. We all hit it right this year and most of us will be elk hunting. We'll.....my brother procrastinated and did not apply until the last minute.

Then he drew second archery season in NM 34. His hunt starts a couple days before mine so being the good brother I am I will have my gear packed and help him in 34 for a day or so. Then I'll be north to unit 52.

If we kill out in 52 then we will travel back to 34 and help anyone we know that has not tagged out. It's gonna be fun!!

Comment

I'll be in Colorado in 10 days.

Got my total pack weight to sub 40lbs (excluding bow), so I'm pretty excited vs the 65lbs I had goin in last year!

Comment

I hear the bulls are bugling a little bit in the southern mountains of New Mexico.

Comment

Hunting in central Colorado again this year.
                  Hiked a total of 14 miles this weekend and and I didn't see or hear any elk. My wife was sitting a meadow Saturday and saw two cows out of range. Pretty poor opener for what was a great place for me last season.
                  We hunted from 9,500 feet up to timberline each day. Saw fresh sign, but that was it. Heard the same thing from some other hunters in the area.
                  Headed back up next weekend for a nine day vacation.

Comment

One week until my boots hit Gila dirt for 2nd season. I am going insane waiting for this. I think it's safe to say that not much work will be accomplished this week.

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                      I know these guys aren't big boys, but this is the first time I have been able to capture a couple bulls locking horns.....and the winner, which is actually the smaller bull, letting off a victory bugle!!

This is great stuff! What unit?

Comment

Not getting to hunt yet this year due to work and grad school obligations, but had a bull rip loose with a bugle in my back yard this morning that shook the windows!

Comment

Originally posted by drube75 View Post
                          This is great stuff! What unit?
                          Gila, 16A

Comment

Originally posted by NMStickFlinger3 View Post
                            Gila, 16A
                            Very nice. Ive got 2nd season 16B. Time is closing in!

Comment

On my way to chase mulies for two weeks...good luck gents!

Comment

Leaving tomorrow for southern Colorado for a week of Elk hunting in a Wilderness area. Just finished packing my pack and I think I have it down pretty good. Without water or my bow it weights 26 lbs !

Comment

Working...
                                X