No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struck out on all the draws I put in for this year so going with my fallback plan of Colorado OTC archery. Mulling over a few units but probably 80/81. Will be my first Colorado hunt so I'm pretty jacked up about it! Scouring over it with Google Earth trying to piece together a plan, access ect and ramping up my workouts to include more cardio every week. This week is 3 miles every evening. Next week will be 3 miles as well but will start incorporating my pack with varying loads. One thing I'm thinking about is the timing of the hunt. Do you guys find the first two weeks to be better, or the last week after muzzle loader is over?

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
      Struck out on all the draws I put in for this year so going with my fallback plan of Colorado OTC archery. Mulling over a few units but probably 80/81. Will be my first Colorado hunt so I'm pretty jacked up about it! Scouring over it with Google Earth trying to piece together a plan, access ect and ramping up my workouts to include more cardio every week. This week is 3 miles every evening. Next week will be 3 miles as well but will start incorporating my pack with varying loads. One thing I'm thinking about is the timing of the hunt. Do you guys find the first two weeks to be better, or the last week after muzzle loader is over?
      Nice...ML falls right about my favorite time this year in CO. I wouldn't worry too much about them. There is only about 300 ML tags(bulls and cows) but there are 3 times that many archers so you won't be alone. Popular area for Texans as well.

Hunt hard, smart and make a good plan for getting a critter out.

Comment

FYI, Google Earth updated most of the Rockies in CO May, 2014 from the previous update of 2012. Keep in mind a lot of the water holes you find may not be there if you're looking at a dated map. I found out the hard way last year walking 3 miles, loaded with a hanging stand only to find a dry, un-used water hole.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
          Nice...ML falls right about my favorite time this year in CO. I wouldn't worry too much about them. There is only about 300 ML tags(bulls and cows) but there are 3 times that many archers so you won't be alone. Popular area for Texans as well.

Hunt hard, smart and make a good plan for getting a critter out.
          What, in your opinion, makes a good plan for extraction?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
            Horses or a few buddy's.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
              Horses or and a few buddy's.
              fify

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBear View Post
                Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                Horses or a few buddy's.
                This is best^^^^^^

Just think about it logically.

Most of CO OTC is steep and thick and an avg CO Bull is gonna yield 150-200# meat and a head. Plus you have to get your camp out. That's at least 4 round trips unless you are a beast. You are going to average around 1.5 MPH.

If you are talking about a solo trip 5 miles back...well you can do the math.

Squaring an outfitter to pack your critter out is the best method IMO.

Comment

This is best^^^^^^

Just think about it logically.

Most of CO OTC is steep and thick and an avg CO Bull is gonna yield 150-200# meat and a head. Plus you have to get your camp out. That's at least 4 round trips unless you are a beast. You are going to average around 1.5 MPH.

If you are talking about a solo trip 5 miles back...well you can do the math.

Squaring an outfitter to pack your critter out is the best method IMO.
                  Well said. Good advice. I recommend the same

Comment

Boot update, I bought some Zamberlan boots this year. I have about 20 miles in them, including a weekend of hauling rocks and working on building a bar. I freak'n love these boots! I have never spent big money on boots, but now I am a believer. I thought I had a narrow foot, but apparently I have a wide foot at the ball of my foot with high arches and pretty narrow heels. These boots fit great and are already broke in enough to go hunt in.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                      Boot update, I bought some Zamberlan boots this year. I have about 20 miles in them, including a weekend of hauling rocks and working on building a bar. I freak'n love these boots! I have never spent big money on boots, but now I am a believer. I thought I had a narrow foot, but apparently I have a wide foot at the ball of my foot with high arches and pretty narrow heels. These boots fit great and are already broke in enough to go hunt in.

http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/?la...od=180&idcat=2
                      I'm going on three years with mine. I like them a lot. Little heavy is my only compliant.

Comment

My crew is finally all set for NM Elk. I was starting to get a little panicked. Not a minute too soon either. Season starts 10 weeks from today!
                        Good to hear Danny. That takes a little bit of the pressure off.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Found some bulls today.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
                            What do you guys think of this guy?
                            I think it all depends on what your goal is. Looks like a legal bull to me, so considering how hard it has been for me to get a good shot at a legal bull I would probably let an arrow fly at him. If you are not a meat hunter, or already have several bulls under your belt, then u might wait on something more mature.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
                              Found some bulls today.
                              Looks like you have found a few better options. I am jealous that you are out in some beautiful mountains scouting, sounds much more fun than working out in this heat these past few days...

Comment

High country is looking good. Here's some pics from this weekend on a backpacking trip with a fellow member.
                                Left trailhead about 9 pm for the hike in, got camp set up about midnight friday night. Enjoyed Saturday and this morning catching quite a few fish, some on the fly rod for me, then spinners and pistol petes. A few on the Tenkara rod for my friend. Hike out was much easier today than anticipated, the hike in while dark was difficult. A lot of loose rocks in the trail.
                                Location, since I know it will be asked, was in the Sangre's.

Comment

Working...
                                X