X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 graves one marked "***** Houston, son of sam houston"
    a 105mm howitzer shell in a creek bed
    a 20mm shell stilll in tact but split from case head to projectile
    an ox cart wheel, wooden saddle tree, asst'd pertrified leather and an old spur in a wash on our place
    all in gonzales county

Comment

Found a strap on once.. no joke.

Comment

I found a fella in an hunter orange jump suit in the angelina river bottom in Dec. 1981. He was lost, cold and scared ****less. Gave him a ride back to the property he was camped on and left him with his buddies. Oh and I found a big 2-blade folding pocket knife stuck in a tree on the property line near where the guy was later that morning, guess it was his. I still have it some where.

Comment

Originally posted by Quickdraw View Post
          I found a fella in an hunter orange jump suit in the angelina river bottom in Dec. 1981. He was lost, cold and scared ****less. Gave him a ride back to the property he was camped on and left him with his buddies. Oh and I found a big 2-blade folding pocket knife stuck in a tree on the property line near where the guy was later that morning, guess it was his. I still have it some where.
          I bet he was more than thankful, I don't know how some people get lost

Comment

Don't know that this would qualify for strange, but mainly dangerous and unexpected. While exploring the woods, I walked upon two open wells that had nothing around them to indicate that they were there. There were no bricks or stones or covering of any kind. Just open wells that anyone could fall into if they weren't watching. The holes were even with the surrounding ground. They were deep wells.

Thankfully, it was during the time of year when the grass and vines are dormant and the leaves were off the trees, which allowed plenty of light through the tree canopies and enabled me to see what was there. If someone was alone and fell into one of those wells, they most likely would not have survived it.

Comment

Originally posted by Waggoner View Post
              Don't know that this would qualify for strange, but mainly dangerous and unexpected. While exploring the woods, I walked upon two open wells that had nothing around them to indicate that they were there. There were no bricks or stones or covering of any kind. Just open wells that anyone could fall into if they weren't watching. The holes were even with the surrounding ground. They were deep wells.

Thankfully, it was during the time of year when the grass and vines are dormant and the leaves were off the trees, which allowed plenty of light through the tree canopies and enabled me to see what was there. If someone was alone and fell into one of those wells, they most likely would not have survived it.
              Makes you wonder what's down there huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Waggoner View Post

Were they curbed inside?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                  Were they curbed inside?
                  It's very possible, but I don't remember seeing any indication of that. There were lots of leaves that had fallen from the trees and when I walked upon them it sure kind of alarmed me. The ground was very moist in that location and the wells were real close to a wet weather creek, so I backed away as soon as I realized what they were.
                  Last edited by 12 point; 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

nothing but a bunch of backpacks, clothes, tin cans, wrappers, water jugs, shoes.

One day, my cousins found a backpack with someones wallet in it.

Immigration found a dead dude.

Dad's worker found a Fossil watch hanging from a tree one day while filling feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFoot View Post
                      Makes you wonder what's down there huh?
                      Think I remember seeing that there was a pump and large gauge wire running out of one of the wells. Looked like maybe they were used to water livestock at one time. Wouldn't surprise me if certain critters ended up falling into at least one of them.

Comment

Forgot about this.Not strange but curious. A fish stringer in a tree in Colorado:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado 2011 071.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	24109882

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                          Forgot about this.Not strange but curious. A fish stringer in a tree in Colorado:
                          [ATTACH]383440[/ATTACH]
                          I would call that strange

Comment

Not me but an aquaintance found a small clay figurine about 2-3 inches tall on what used to be the Arrowhead Ranch on 16 south of Tilden. He guessed it was from the early white settlers.
                            He took it somewhere (don't remember where) and had it examined by an expert. The guy told him it was a Mayan fertility idol.

I found a small sanstone ball about the size of a golf ball on our place by Pleasanton. Being a kid, I broke it with a hammer and it was full of loose sand. In the loose sand was a shark toothe about 2 mm long. I don't have it anymore, though. The house we lived in burned to the ground.

Also in P-town I found a limp helium balloon with a note attached that was set adrift by a elementary school class several hundred miles away (don't remember where they were from). We wrote them & let them know the balloon was found.

I also found a similar item on the beach of San Jose Island (St Joseph's) while working cattle, but it was a bottle full of notes from school kids. Being horseback & gathering steers, I set it under a windmill to retrieve later. I never did go back. It may or may not still be there.

Comment

I would call that strange
                              Well, that is the Weminuche river in the background of the pic, so not really surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                                [ATTACH]383440[/ATTACH]
                                Now that's cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X