Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great find

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
    Sorry for such a long read but definitely the coolest thing I have found in the woods.

My wife's dad used to drive in from Houston to hunt with us on the weekends. He liked to still hunt through the woods rattling ever so often. The last season he hunted with us he misplaced his rattling antlers and was pretty upset because he had had them for so long. He passed away with lung cancer the following summer at only 55. My wife was extremely upset about it for a long time. Two years later while doing some scouting I found what was left of his rattling antlers under the base of a big White Oak tree. Squirrels had chewed them up pretty bad and the leather cord that held them together was missing. He had painted them camo and I think that may have saved them from being totally eaten by squirrels. My wife got pretty choked up when I brought them home. Every year since, my wife brings them out at the beginning of deer season and sets them on our fire place mantle until season is over.
    [ATTACH]367707[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Scout Man View Post
      I was walking along the RR tracks way out in the country and found where a train had derailed and dumped about ten model A ford cars. I looked for parts to pilfer off of them but someone beat me to it about 60 years earlier.
      Reminds me of the story told by my parents. They owned some land and a house in Oklahoma and a railroad crossed their place. While they were out of town a train derailed and the contents of some of the box cars were spilled. Their neighbor said the train was loaded with expensive whiskey, washing machines, dryers, and much more. Word spread about the goodies, so several people from the town came out at night to help themselves. When my parents got back the railroad had already cleaned up the mess. They got a letter in the mail appologizing for the damage to the boulders and trees. The railroad sent someone out to discuss the cost of the damage and later sent a check.

Comment

Old blown glass bottle.
        A 1933 car full of bullet holes.

Comment

I Walk up on a man and a women doing the you no what ,they freak out took off running

Comment

TTT! Great thread with great stories.

I found an old shack once with lots of canned fruit and paper on the ground. Upon further inspection the paper turned out to be a diary. It was from a man dying of cancer. He would talk about his day and the people he missed and his thoughts about dying. He would also start each day off describing how bad the pain was. In a couple if posts u could tell he wanted it to be over so the pain would go away. I also found a camp site with a fish nailed to a tree with its body burnt and a buzzard with its head chopped off and something that looked like it had the blood in it.
            Last edited by Black Ice; 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Found a really old horseshoe on a lease in Del Rio.

Comment

I have a hand me down bayonett/sword that my uncle Al found before he died. It is a spanish looking bayonet and has 1875 imprinted on the handle. Weve taken good care of it. Almost looks brand new. It was found in Gatesville tx.

Comment

Had a big rain earlier this year and it produced a big washout at the bottom of a hill and inside the washout was a old rusty splittin wedge...not strange but a good find anyhow

Comment

i found a six pack have two left burp keep em comeing lol

Comment

I've spent a bit of time with research students form sul ross out in fort davis on a huge ranch in the mountains. one year we tracked pigs and recorded countless nest just like that, sometimes with rocks even lining them. Very interesting!!

on that same ranch i found a canteen hanging on a tree with two horseshoes and a pair of hoof clippers, they had been there at lest a hundred years by how bad they were rusted!
                      Originally posted by Texar View Post
                      My family land in Lamar County used to be part of Camp Maxey and the north fence borders the existing National Guard reserve. We have found several "intact" mortar rounds over the years and I have found old BAR rifle mags and bullets too. When we first started finding the mortars, we contacted Camp Maxey to find out what to do with them and they gave us a DOD disposal number. Well after calling them several times and never hearing anything from them, we just put flagging tape all around the ordinance we find to keep us from getting on them. There are also "tank traps" and foxholes everywhere on the land too. Pretty neat!!

While hunting COE land around Wright Patman Lake, we found this interesting "bed/nest". It was between 5 & 6 ft long and 2-3ft wide and was kind of hollowed out in the middle. It looked like someone had used a rake to make it. As you can see in the photos there was also a pine root ball the size of a softball in the bed. We think it may be a pig birthing nest made by a sow getting ready to domino. No sooner than we left the nest we slipped up on a sounder of pigs and killed 2 nice sized sows. One sow had several pigs in her that looked to be a week or so from being born. Anyone seen anything like this???

Comment

Found a bunch of weed while riding four wheelers once that my buddy turned into a mud hole doing donuts. Not technically the woods but I was bowfishing during the day with some friends on lake conroe and we pulled into a small cove, cranked up the fan, and two people ran out of the woods naked and jumped in their boat. We guessed they were bumpin uglies on the bank and didn't want to get caught.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                          Sorry for such a long read but definitely the coolest thing I have found in the woods.

My wife's dad used to drive in from Houston to hunt with us on the weekends. He liked to still hunt through the woods rattling ever so often. The last season he hunted with us he misplaced his rattling antlers and was pretty upset because he had had them for so long. He passed away with lung cancer the following summer at only 55. My wife was extremely upset about it for a long time. Two years later while doing some scouting I found what was left of his rattling antlers under the base of a big White Oak tree. Squirrels had chewed them up pretty bad and the leather cord that held them together was missing. He had painted them camo and I think that may have saved them from being totally eaten by squirrels. My wife got pretty choked up when I brought them home. Every year since, my wife brings them out at the beginning of deer season and sets them on our fire place mantle until season is over.
                          [ATTACH]367707[/ATTACH]
                          That is really cool.

Comment

Walking by the creek one day and found about 40 or 50 quart mayo jars that had been in the woods a long time and were down the road from an old house. Went about 30 feet and saw the still, had a couple of big holes blown in it

Comment

Bump to the top for more stories.

Comment

Mostly rocks, Mesquite brush & illegals. Probably the neatest thing on a ranch near Lake Corpus Christi was a handful of 44 Henry cartridges near an old homesite, found using a metal detector.

Comment

Working...
                                X