No announcement yet.

A little bow season advice...learned the hard way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good timing on this post. And a good reminder.

Comment

Right on Chew! Thanks!

Comment

Thanks Chew, I needed the reminder. Last year was sickening for me and I know you and Dr D were pulling for me to find mine but it never happened.

Comment

I've had two opportunities at taking a whitetail with my bow and missed both deer completely. When I look back I realized that I rushed my shot. I did not really know how far the deer was from me and I used the wrong pin on my site. I also shot at one while it was trotting away cause I wasn't thinking straight with all the heart pounding excitement going on. You have to be one with your bow and stay at zin while taking your shot. I have never taken a deer but I hope I get one this year.

Comment

Great advice.

Comment

Great advice chew, thanks for reminding us all...

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                Thanks for being a great steward of the sport Chew.
                Ditto

Comment

Booby, thank you for posting this message. I too, made this same mistake when I first started bowhunting deer. I shot a young fork horn buck and tracked him for what seemed like eternity and then some more the next two days. I never found that buck, but I never forgot that sick feeling either. It's hard enough to kill a deer when you do everything perfect and the shot goes bad, much less than to take a chance when everything is not right. A calm deer can move so fast that it's scary, so I like them to be close.

Comment

thank you for your words sir .i will keep them in my heart if i git the chance to release one.!!!!!

thank you again! HH71

Comment

This will be my 18th bow season and I still have to calm myself down, remind myself not to rush, and really go through every motion in my head in order to not absolutely just fall apart. Great thread Chew.

Comment

Great post and reminder.

Inexperience, adrenaline, and inpatience cost me the biggest deer I've ever seen while hunting. It was my first year bowhunting. I'd had a couple of close calls on other deer but couldn't get drawn for one reason or another. Big boy came in and presented a perfect broadside shot. Only problem was a feeder leg in the way. Convinced myself I could slip the arrow by and into the pocket... didn't happen. Arrow hit the leg and richocheted strait up. If I'd waited one more step that deer would be on my wall.

That was over ten years ago. Talk about a sick feeling. Only took 4-5 years for that feeling to go away every time I thought about it .

Comment

Appreciate the words of wisdom I am 39 this will be my first bow hunt my father has always been a hunter I have never had the opportunity to harvest a deer in my younger days I would go with my dad but being a kid my attention span and my patience were short as I got older and started working my ability to go was almost impossible now that I have the ability and the love of hunting my father is 81 now he is not able to go so ill keep your words in mined when the opportunity arises for my first harvest not just for me but to honor my dad also. Thanks

Comment

Great write up and good reminder for even us experienced bow hunters

Comment

Great read.. Thanks

Comment

Thanks Chew. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X