No announcement yet.

Monster buck...but it makes me sad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be kinda nervous about the meat from that deer. Instead of juicin' up a deer with quality genetics, I'd like to see a trash deer get jacked up. Maybe a spike with drop tines that split everywhere.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
      I am moving into a new carreer as a whitewing outfitter...beer drinkin storyteller....canned meat hunts are also available

So what will you charge for a Spam hunt?

carry on.....

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
        I hate what hunting has turned into...
        you are using a definition of hunting with which i am not familiar. if it is considered hunting to grab a package of hamburger from the sale pile, then you might be onto something.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          This is how I see it. How many of you have a favorite dog that is by your side everyday? Dogs are bred and manipulated till ideal results are reached.

What we're seeing in deer breeding is the exact same thing.
          So what you're saying is, these genetically altered deer should be treated as pets...

I won't hesitate to shoot a coyote or a bobcat, but I would feel pretty bad hunting my neighbor's Lab or the barncats at the ranch...

Comment

It is not for me. Looks sad

Comment

kind of disgusting if you ask me.

poor deer. nothing but a science project trapped in a 2 acre fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Give me a mature free roamin' 8 pt over that thing any day.
                Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by trjones87 View Post
                  I hate what hunting has turned into...
                  x10, I hear this from my grandfather so much. He gives me hell about game cameras and my fancy range finder and expensive clothes and euro mounts.

He tells of times when hunting was really for dinner and was never about the size of the horns but rather the size of the animal. Never had to set out cameras and use range finders with special clothes.

I understand what he means but I carry his thoughts over to breeding large deer just to kill it for a large profit but I am not bashing by any means. Just my thoughts
                  Last edited by 76truck; 08-29-2011, 08:46 AM.

Comment

OK I respect everyone's oppinion, so out of everyone on here that said its not their thing Im assuming none of you have ever hunted a high fence ranch operation in Texas where the deer herd has been altered ? Because if you have thats pretty much the pot calling the kettle black because thats the only reason deer like this are bred, for high fence operations. Now me I love hunting high fence ranches and low fence ranches but Im trying to figure out why so many dont like this deer, if it was a main frame typical 18 point would it be ok? Im not joking here I trying to figure this out and see if its because its a non typical or just because its in a pen. Im not questioning anyones oppinion here or trying to ruffle feathers either so please dont take it that way.

And for the record I to hate what hunting has turned onto in the state of Texas,

Comment

I make no secret that we introduced genetics on to our ranch. When we did this though we kept a strict criteria. Typical Texas genetics. Look at the pics of our deer 5 years later and you see zero freaky nontypical genetics.

The deer breeding business has become a race to see how quick and big deer can be grown. Talking to some of the folks who have been in the deer business for a long time it appears it may be approaching capacity. Looking at stocker deer recently the price of a 1.5yo buck with 200" top end genetics is about 1/2 of what it was 5-6 years ago.

We have one tagged(introduced) buck that would get me a nice jacket from Los Caz. We arent planning on killing this deer but if that changes due to injury or something else I sure as heck will go get my jacket...for the Open Division.

To each their own. I will never tell a person what they can do with their land, money and time.

Comment

Don't know what saddens me more...the fact there is a term "stocker deer' or that it's used so matter of factly on a hunting forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Archer View Post
                          I think it just depends on folks' personal preference. We're more interested in the experience and challenge of the hunt.

Most folks out there in a blind with a .270 are either looking to just pay for a giant trophy for the wall. They don't care about all the other critters they get to see in the woods. They won't freeze or sweat, go without sleep, or get sore hikin' into their spot. That's just not enough for us, and that's why a smaller natural deer means more to us.

I don't see this deer any different from those meat chickens that've been bred to grow so big so fast that they can't walk. There's a market for both and this is America...I'd never begrudge anyone the opportunity to produce a product for which there's a demand...but I wouldn't feel good about myself taking such a "trophy."
                          Best post on this subject so far! Everything is NOT for everyone.........including deer farming!
                          Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                          It is not this way in other states...
                          So true! I listen to hunters in other states and TExas definitely has a growing perception issue. They think the above is normal and everything has a fence around it.
                          Originally posted by 2050z View Post
                          So what will you charge for a Spam hunt?

carry on.....
                          LOL.......to funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Thumper View Post
                            OK I respect everyone's oppinion, so out of everyone on here that said its not their thing Im assuming none of you have ever hunted a high fence ranch operation in Texas where the deer herd has been altered ? Because if you have thats pretty much the pot calling the kettle black because thats the only reason deer like this are bred, for high fence operations. Now me I love hunting high fence ranches and low fence ranches but Im trying to figure out why so many dont like this deer, if it was a main frame typical 18 point would it be ok? Im not joking here I trying to figure this out and see if its because its a non typical or just because its in a pen. Im not questioning anyones oppinion here or trying to ruffle feathers either so please dont take it that way.

And for the record I to hate what hunting has turned onto in the state of Texas,
                            Can't speak for anyone but myself.. and I don't have anything against the deer or its rack.
                            The issue I have..is that its so obviously been genetically/chemically altered to produce that monstrosity of a rack to the point of being absurd as growing part of what is being accepted as trophy animals, in a stock pen,
                            Like JeffJ says, to each his own.. if you want to build your own trophy and then kill it, and hang it on the wall... fine.
                            Just don't expect everyone to share your belief of what you just did was an accomplishment.

Comment

No harm done, but I won't pay the money, nor have I ever, to hunt engineered deer in a very large pen. It's like a dove hunt I went on when I worked for a land development company, we brought our things to hunt and the outfitter brought the birds. I was so mad I just left.

I would rather pay the money and hunt a low fence natural deer down in south Texas. Is feeding them protein considered altering them.... ehhh I guess but I'm sure these guys like the one in the picture posted have way more going on than just eating protein feed.

Besides, I am a fan of big 8's and 10's.
                              Last edited by 76truck; 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                                I make no secret that we introduced genetics on to our ranch. When we did this though we kept a strict criteria. Typical Texas genetics. Look at the pics of our deer 5 years later and you see zero freaky nontypical genetics.

The deer breeding business has become a race to see how quick and big deer can be grown. Talking to some of the folks who have been in the deer business for a long time it appears it may be approaching capacity. Looking at stocker deer recently the price of a 1.5yo buck with 200" top end genetics is about 1/2 of what it was 5-6 years ago.

We have one tagged(introduced) buck that would get me a nice jacket from Los Caz. We arent planning on killing this deer but if that changes due to injury or something else I sure as heck will go get my jacket...for the Open Division.

To each their own. I will never tell a person what they can do with their land, money and time.
                                We have done the exact same by introducing 100% typical south texas genetics to our place with the goal of seeing bigger bucks roaming about. We have no desire to sell hunts for bucks.

I don't like the deer in this thread because it looks dumb. Ridiculous looking deer that look like freaks are not my cup of tea and I don't like looking at them too much. That said, I don't have a problem with people legally breeding deer to produce bigger antlers. As long as it's legal I don't see the problem- People can do whatever they want with their land.

In regards to the people who suggest that this has ruined hunting: My thought is that people doing xyz over there doesn't have to change my hunting experience here. I don't let their actions have that much power over me.

Comment

Working...
                                X