Show off your leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
    A good Contact Cement will work just fine.
    On a large surface area, contact cement dries hard and isn't very pliable. Rubber cement works well, and doesn't have as much "stiffness" to it. Apply it to both surfaces. On the leather side that's finished, be sure to rough it up prior to glueing it.

I also use the Tandy Leather Weld but mainly on an area I want to work with as it dries slower. (also rough ip the slick side as well) I mainly use this on an area that I'm stitching and glueing at the same time.

Comment

So I should glue this to a piece of leather and then see it on by it's self? Or should there be a border piece of leather on the putter edge of the pig hide?

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
        On a large surface area, contact cement dries hard and isn't very pliable. Rubber cement works well, and doesn't have as much "stiffness" to it. Apply it to both surfaces. On the leather side that's finished, be sure to rough it up prior to glueing it.

I also use the Tandy Leather Weld but mainly on an area I want to work with as it dries slower. (also rough ip the slick side as well) I mainly use this on an area that I'm stitching and glueing at the same time.
        I may be using the wrong name for it. Mine is a rubber cement that is flexible. I've just thought it was called contact cement. I can't remember the name of it but it comes in a blue and white can. I buy it by the gallon from Hidecrafters.

Comment

Originally posted by Z7_Matt View Post
          So I should glue this to a piece of leather and then see it on by it's self? Or should there be a border piece of leather on the putter edge of the pig hide?
          Not sure what you mean by "putter side". Do you mean cutting side of the knife? If so then yes, I would recommend what's called a welt. It's an added piece of leather that borders the cutting edge of the blade and helps prevent cutting through the leather and stitches when sheathing your knife. I also like to add a rivet at both the opening of the sheath and the end of the sheath (see my previous sheaths) where the point of the knife will be. This adds strength and prevents the blade from going through the sheath. Just a little added protection.

Comment

Sorry, dang auto correct. I meant outer edge. Found a holster kind of how I want to make it. I'm just not sure how to accomplish this. I've made leather holsters before just not with an insert if you will.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327435984.411919.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	24046745
            Basically like this but not with snake skin. And would I need to do the same design for a knife sheath?

Comment

Sorry, dang auto correct. I meant outer edge. Found a holster kind of how I want to make it. I'm just not sure how to accomplish this. I've made leather holsters before just not with an insert if you will.
              [ATTACH]305462[/ATTACH]
              Basically like this but not with snake skin. And would I need to do the same design for a knife sheath?
              For that style you will cut two pieces of leather out of the same pattern. The outer piece will be a 6 to 8 ounce in which you'll make the cut out for the inlay. The second piece will be cut out of 4 ounce leather and will be the liner.

Decide whether you want the flesh side or the grain side facing the inside of the holster liner.

Now cut out a piece of the hair on hide that you want for the inlay. Cut it in the shape of your first cut out. You can use the cut out piece from the outer layer as your template. Cut it about a half inch bigger all the way around your template. Shave the hair off of that half inch area boarder so that the top layer will sit flat when you put it together. Fit that shaved area to the inside cut out of the 8 piece of leather and glue it and then stitch it together.

Now you assemble the 8oz and the 4oz pieces of leather together with glue and then stitch the boarders.

A couple of tips. 1: Make your fold in the holster and liner before you glue them together. Gluing them with the two pieces already folded will prevent wrinkles in the liner and just makes it easier all the way around.
              2: Do all of your boarder stitching before you stitch the ends together. This way you can hold open the holster up as stitch.

I hope I didn't confuse you. It's easier to show you than it is for me to tell you.

Comment

Geoff, I'll see you tomorrow.

Comment

For that style you will cut two pieces of leather out of the same pattern. The outer piece will be a 6 to 8 ounce in which you'll make the cut out for the inlay. The second piece will be cut out of 4 ounce leather and will be the liner.

Decide whether you want the flesh side or the grain side facing the inside of the holster liner.

Now cut out a piece of the hair on hide that you want for the inlay. Cut it in the shape of your first cut out. You can use the cut out piece from the outer layer as your template. Cut it about a half inch bigger all the way around your template. Shave the hair off of that half inch area boarder so that the top layer will sit flat when you put it together. Fit that shaved area to the inside cut out of the 8 piece of leather and glue it and then stitch it together.

Now you assemble the 8oz and the 4oz pieces of leather together with glue and then stitch the boarders.

A couple of tips. 1: Make your fold in the holster and liner before you glue them together. Gluing them with the two pieces already folded will prevent wrinkles in the liner and just makes it easier all the way around.
                  2: Do all of your boarder stitching before you stitch the ends together. This way you can hold open the holster up as stitch.

I hope I didn't confuse you. It's easier to show you than it is for me to tell you.
                  I understood everything clearly until tip #2. Wish you were closer so you could show me!

Comment

I understood everything clearly until tip #2. Wish you were closer so you could show me!
                    Looked again and saw that what your planning on is a pancake style holster so tip #2 doesn't apply. That's for a western style holster that folds in half. Sorry for not paying attention.
                    Aww if you were closer you'd go broke buying Shiner's. That's my fee btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                      Geoff, I'll see you tomorrow.
                      Sounds good Leon, It's been awhile.

Comment

Looked again and saw that what your planning on is a pancake style holster so tip #2 doesn't apply. That's for a western style holster that folds in half. Sorry for not paying attention.
                        Aww if you were closer you'd go broke buying Shiner's. That's my fee btw.
                        Good thing shiner is one of 60 beer brands I sell!

Comment

Good thing shiner is one of 60 beer brands I sell!
                          Now I really wish we were closer. You could be my new best friend.

Comment

I have a so much to learn it would cost me a bunch of shiner. I might need to start a new thread for all the leather worker novices.
                            Or I could send you the hide and you could make one for me. I bet I could get some shiner stuff from work for you hint hint

Comment

I WILL make it up there sometime soon to spend the day in your shop!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                                I WILL make it up there sometime soon to spend the day in your shop!!!
                                I look forward to it brother and there will have to be a TBH HH afterwards.

Better get the feather duster out Ma, we got company commin'.
                                Last edited by Geezy Rider; 01-24-2012, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X