217 in monster off of the Chaparrosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sackett,
    I can assure that is a 100% south Texas deer. They have brought no northern deer or breeding stock onto that ranch. It's just very well managed.

Comment

Wow!!!!! What A Buck!!!

Comment

No high fence, no breeder buck pens, just plain BIG DEER. He kills gaint bucks every year. Several years ago he killed 7 bucks that scored over 170. I remember starting a thread about it and how I thought this was a misuse of MLD permits, but came to find out he was the only person killing trophy deer on 80,000 acres so one trophy per 10,000 acres didn't seem to be such a big deal. Guess I was just really jealous. My friend has a ranch just 8 miles West of this ranch. Great area for sure.

Comment

I would have let it go for another year. It's alright.

Comment

Is that the Chaparroso just outside of Uvalde? Owned by a Mexican national? When I was in college and dating the range manager's daughter, it was owned by a member of the Johnson family, who split off during the breakup of the King Ranch.

Comment

Texas is King....one would be surprised how many 200+ deer are killed in our state.

I know of some ranches that won't let any pics be posted on the Web or entered inot any contests

Comment

WOW!!!! Nice!!!

Comment

that is a nice buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                    Texas is King....one would be surprised how many 200+ deer are killed in our state.

I know of some ranches that won't let any pics be posted on the Web or entered inot any contests

That is sooooooo true. I have a close friend whose dad runs 10,000 acre cattle ranch.. Perimeter is low fence, but about a half mile in on all sides is their other periemter fence...this one of the high variety. From the low fence line you cant see the high fence. Looks like a plain old cattle ranch.

No pics on the chat rooms, no website, no contests, no fancy gate, BUT one big agreement for his hunters. Never seen the place, I know last year he called and said he wanted to come by. Showed me one grainy picture of a 200+ shot over the last weekend.

From what he said their are quite a few low fence ranches with high fence interior sections.

Comment

I'd give my left testicle just to ride in the truck with that guy.

Comment

Bet he doesn't have to get any gates if he's riding shotgun...

Comment

Poland-jack,
                          You are remembering it right, BK Johnson used to own the Chapparrosa. So you dated Bill's daughter?

I'm not sure when Mr. B bought the place but it's been a little while now. Aside from building a new headquarters house he has kept it the same and it's still a very nice cattle operation.

Comment

I can remember when Maurice Chambers ran archery hunts (affordable) off the Chaprrosa. A good friend missed a monster at that ranch. I had heard a rumor that the old president of Mexico owned the ranch.....I received several deer from the ranch hands w/MLD tags from there, a couple years ago.

Comment

Now I don't know what I would do, if that buck walked out from behind a bush. I know one thing for sure, you better head back to camp to get me a new pair underware.....

Comment

Hey Wait!!! I don't think that inside spread is outside of the ears!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X