Mountain Lion Sightings......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~2000 - Big female and 2 cubs, Tyler County, just south of Spurger

2010 - A loner on the side of a ranch road, Kinney County, halfway between Brackettville and Del Rio on our place off 3008.

Comment

Garza county on trail cam last year
      Kent county laying on side of road dead ( killed by car) with game warden measuring/securing the carcass three years ago
      Setting in tree at lake amistead watching us not catch any fish. 10 plus years ago

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
        For the sake of everyone sounding somewhat intelligent, can we all agree to stop calling these cats "mountain lions"? Facts, biologists, and DoW identify the cats you speak of in this region near the Gulf Coast as a Florida Panther. I'm proud of where I am from and live, but we don't need to apply extra effort to sound like the prototype "hillbilly". (No disrespect)
        Well, the Florida Panther (which is just a subspecies of the mountain lion, puma, cougar, etc), lives in a specific area in the everglades and is almost exclusive to Florida.

Comment

I sincerely retract part of my rant. It was soley my error and I should have proofed my own words (regurgitations). I was correctly corrected.

"North American Cougar" is appropriate and correct. Florida Panther is incorrect in our state at this time as they are specific to a defined territory. Mountain Lion is equally incorrect as this cat does not "roar" and our topography does not support the street term.

Bottom line, it's a cougar.

Again, I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
            I sincerely retract part of my rant. It was soley my error and I should have proofed my own words (regurgitations). I was correctly corrected.

"North American Cougar" is appropriate and correct. Florida Panther is incorrect in our state at this time as they are specific to a defined territory. Mountain Lion is equally incorrect as this cat does not "roar" and our topography does not support the street term.

Bottom line, it's a cougar.

Again, I apologize.
            No worries, brother! You're still partially right, like with what you said above. They've also used Texas cougars to breed with Florida Panthers to try and increase the populations in both states. It won't be long before they are one in the same.

Comment

Uh, hopefully you realize that 90% of these sightings are from the western half of Texas.....yeah....mountain lions. LOL.

Comment

Seen 2
                Hockley County
                Palo pinto county

Comment

I had a small cougar or mountain lion or puma or whatever you want to call it walk 45-50 yards in front of me when hunting last Saturday morning. Greyish coat, long tail, short fur, very muscular. I'm estimating 20# size. When it stopped and turned looking in my direction and had my binoculars on it, unmistakably a cougar and not a domestic cat. I tried to call it back in with a piglet squeal call (which works on coyotes) but no luck.

Ten minutes from my suburban home in SJ on a property where I hunt.

Comment

Harris County--about a mile from the San Jacinto monument two years ago. Seen on 3 different occasions by 4 people.

Comment

In EAst and Central Texas, where is this "mountain"?

Comment

Amazing number of sightings here. I get 10-20 tcp at least yearly, and only live one in wild I have seen was in a tree with dogs. Have seen a bunch of yotes and bobcats though.

Comment

Do y'all think this is a long tailed cat ? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374299434.669717.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	24221223

This was taken on my TC on zac221 FIL cattle lease

Comment

Originally posted by camo_cowboy55 View Post
                            Do y'all think this is a long tailed cat ? [ATTACH]519516[/ATTACH]

Dog

Comment

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
                              Dog
                              Even by looking at the tail ? How it twists up and around ?

Comment

Originally posted by camo_cowboy55 View Post
                                Do y'all think this is a long tailed cat ? [ATTACH]519516[/ATTACH]

Looks like a dog to me. Big cats have much thicker legs and paws.

Comment

Working...
                                X