No announcement yet.

cottonseed ???? Deer food ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gossypol can reduce reproductive ability in some mammals when consumed at high rates. Fortunately, recent research in Texas has found that white-tailed deer are not negatively effected by whole cottonseed, even when it makes up a high percentage of a deer’s diet.

Just sayin....

Comment

gossypol is the part that can make some animals sterile but not ruminants like whitetails. they digest it better than other mammals

Comment

I got several feeders out-just like in Huntinaddict's post. The deer are on it-but it seems a little slow. I think this is due to the new browse popping out of the ground. I got mine from a "guy down the street" from our lease, @ $226/ton. Seems to be a lot of controversy in how effective it is for horn growth. In theory, a healthier-stress free animal will potentially grow better horns. If it benefits horn growth directly-great! If it doesn't, the protien will benefit the deer's health and well being-therefore still having a positive impact on it's horn growth. My 2 cents.... Good luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodey View Post
          It is the most complete feed there is for deer or cattle. I'm in the bull and buck business and it can sterilize either but only temporarily. 6-8 weeks after they quit eating it, everything returns to normal. Deer in the wild will never eat enough of it to cause sterility, only in captivity. Cottonseed is a balanced feed with high protein, energy and fiber. What more could you want? One of the main reasons it is getting high in price, is that hunters have discovered it and many large ranches in South and West Texas are feeding it exclusively. Also, with corn being so high last year, many farmers planted all corn and little cotton. That created a shortage.
          x2

Comment

Does anyone know where I could buy cottonseed north of DFW?

Comment

Originally posted by Bodey View Post
              It is the most complete feed there is for deer or cattle. I'm in the bull and buck business and it can sterilize either but only temporarily. 6-8 weeks after they quit eating it, everything returns to normal. Deer in the wild will never eat enough of it to cause sterility, only in captivity. Cottonseed is a balanced feed with high protein, energy and fiber. What more could you want? One of the main reasons it is getting high in price, is that hunters have discovered it and many large ranches in South and West Texas are feeding it exclusively. Also, with corn being so high last year, many farmers planted all corn and little cotton. That created a shortage.
              Exactly

Comment

Here is a 5 year old 200 inch LF buck from our lease

we added cottonseed 4 years ago along side our protein feed - it can be placed outside a feed pen so fawns and yearlings can get to it where they cannot get to the protein. It is especially good post rut to keep body weights up. We produce LF deer in the 180 to over 200 range and the cottonseed has helped us get there. The stuff we buy is tested and we have seen no evidence of any negative impact on our deer. From our experience if it is fed along side a good protein and other management practices are in place you can have awesome results
                Last edited by TKK; 06-23-2016, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Toxic gossypol could cause fertility issues.

Comment

we feed it on our small lease in Kerrville and 1 ton barely last a month!!

Comment

The whole toxic gossypol only happens when the main % of their diet is cottonseed. In normal/average range conditions on low fence places or even high fenced places, you won't have to worry about this. It's a great feed and high in fat/energy which is very important for post rut bucks and for does during lactation. We feed cottonseed from end of Decmeber through July, feed protein and corn year round.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                        Here is a 5 year old 200 inch LF buck from our lease

we added cottonseed 4 years ago along side our protein feed - it can be placed outside a feed pen so fawns and yearlings can get to it where they cannot get to the protein. It is especially good post rut to keep body weights up. We produce LF deer in the 180 to over 200 range and the cottonseed has helped us get there. The stuff we buy is tested and we have seen no evidence of any negative impact on our deer. From our experience if it is fed along side a good protein and other management practices are in place you can have awesome results
                        You sure that deer is not eating DD?

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
                          You sure that deer is not eating DD?
                          LOL I wont even go there - I have sworn off any DD discussions - suffice it to say we feed a very good "off brand" protein feed

By the way we go through 50 tons of cottonseed over an 8 month period
                          Last edited by TKK; 06-23-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TKK View Post
                            Here is a 5 year old 200 inch LF

Where do you buy yours and how much is it?

Comment

I haven't read much truth, sperm production is a problem if that is all the deer is fed. Cotton seed, like protein pellets are a small part of the white-tail feed. Browse is the number one food source to a deer. The is a large percentage of protein in cotton seed.

Comment

Who dug this up? August 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X