X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job Bobby Taylor. 2nd Open A

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
      Didn't like the tournament or something else?
      I really didn't want to get into a rant or whine fest, considering it was my first Pro/Am and I am a newbie. But here are the issues I had. The first one is really minor the second one caused me some friction with the missus:

1. Between essential tremor and my eyes, I am not a great shot, I do well hunting inside of 25 yards, past that I have some issues. With my excuses done, I am shooting Bow Novice. I have done well in State qualifiers, and while not placing I could always walk away from a tournament knowing if I did a little better I could. I felt competitive in state events. Not so at the Pro/AM I felt more like it should be called Pro Novice. I walked away feeling not competitive at all and the road to being competitive blocked. I am not going to shoot 40 targets and shoot 20 12s, just not going to happen.

2. The real issue. A little background my wife worked for CPS for 11 years and is currently the Program Director for CASA covering 3 East Texas Counties. With her experience and being the parents of two girls, predators, molesters, and kidnappers are hiding behind every tree waiting to snatch one of our daughters. Stranger Danger is in effect 24/7. Last year when my oldest daughter competed at state in Abilene my wife and youngest sat out in the sun, baking all day waiting for us to finish. As we left she quickly informed me that it would not happen again.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I told my wife that my daughter and I would shoot in the morning and then I would hang out with her until 2:30pm when my wife would take over and I would shoot my afternoon round. The morning worked out well and I met my daughter after our morning rounds. She was hanging out with friends inside at the stage by registration. There was a lady there who asked me about the future champions program and if I wanted to sign my daughter up. I asked what it was and was told they would feed, watch the kids, and the kids would get to have some time to practice with the pros while their parents shot. Sounds great and that will take some pressure off my wife. What was not said, this was only for the mid-day rounds they were not going to watch them for the people shooting the 3:00pm rounds.

I call my wife and tell her if she wants to hang out she is more than welcome, but our daughter would be being watched and would be running with a pack of archery crazed kids and she didn't have to be there to pick her up at 2:30 just be there before my round was over.

I shoot my afternoon round and come back to the tournament center to find my wife and kids watching the shoot-off and all is well, right. Wrong, we get away from the shoot off and it begins. I get laid into. My wife showed up and started looking for our daughter, could not find her. Had tournament officials on their radios looking for her, can not find her. Finally finds her being watched by friends of ours. She was livid that the ASA would release a minor under their supervision to someone other than a parent or an assigned guardian. So I my rear end is a few pounds lighter and now I doubt I will ever be able to talk my wife into going to another event.

That was my weekend, like I said my daughter had a blast and I owe the ladies that watched my daughter big time. My experience wasn't so good and the after event experience soured it even more. If we go back next year it will just be for her to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
        Congratulations Robert! That is awesome to make the podium the first time out! What class was it? I cannot read the "checks"
        He shot in High School Pins.

Comment

Originally posted by ProV1 View Post
          I really didn't want to get into a rant or whine fest, considering it was my first Pro/Am and I am a newbie. But here are the issues I had. The first one is really minor the second one caused me some friction with the missus:

1. Between essential tremor and my eyes, I am not a great shot, I do well hunting inside of 25 yards, past that I have some issues. With my excuses done, I am shooting Bow Novice. I have done well in State qualifiers, and while not placing I could always walk away from a tournament knowing if I did a little better I could. I felt competitive in state events. Not so at the Pro/AM I felt more like it should be called Pro Novice. I walked away feeling not competitive at all and the road to being competitive blocked. I am not going to shoot 40 targets and shoot 20 12s, just not going to happen.

2. The real issue. A little background my wife worked for CPS for 11 years and is currently the Program Director for CASA covering 3 East Texas Counties. With her experience and being the parents of two girls, predators, molesters, and kidnappers are hiding behind every tree waiting to snatch one of our daughters. Stranger Danger is in effect 24/7. Last year when my oldest daughter competed at state in Abilene my wife and youngest sat out in the sun, baking all day waiting for us to finish. As we left she quickly informed me that it would not happen again.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I told my wife that my daughter and I would shoot in the morning and then I would hang out with her until 2:30pm when my wife would take over and I would shoot my afternoon round. The morning worked out well and I met my daughter after our morning rounds. She was hanging out with friends inside at the stage by registration. There was a lady there who asked me about the future champions program and if I wanted to sign my daughter up. I asked what it was and was told they would feed, watch the kids, and the kids would get to have some time to practice with the pros while their parents shot. Sounds great and that will take some pressure off my wife. What was not said, this was only for the mid-day rounds they were not going to watch them for the people shooting the 3:00pm rounds.

I call my wife and tell her if she wants to hang out she is more than welcome, but our daughter would be being watched and would be running with a pack of archery crazed kids and she didn't have to be there to pick her up at 2:30 just be there before my round was over.

I shoot my afternoon round and come back to the tournament center to find my wife and kids watching the shoot-off and all is well, right. Wrong, we get away from the shoot off and it begins. I get laid into. My wife showed up and started looking for our daughter, could not find her. Had tournament officials on their radios looking for her, can not find her. Finally finds her being watched by friends of ours. She was livid that the ASA would release a minor under their supervision to someone other than a parent or an assigned guardian. So I my rear end is a few pounds lighter and now I doubt I will ever be able to talk my wife into going to another event.

That was my weekend, like I said my daughter had a blast and I owe the ladies that watched my daughter big time. My experience wasn't so good and the after event experience soured it even more. If we go back next year it will just be for her to shoot.

I agree about bow novice class. It seems that ASA should look into this class a little but I can also see that there is not a lot they can do. If someone can shoot 20 up they should not be in that class IMHO. Heck I shouldn't be in that class, but per the rules I can be. I shot 10 down for the weekend and that is dang good for me. Day one I should of been up 4 and day 2 I should of been even a 5 both days killed me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowe View Post
            Wish I was. I say every year....maybe next year. Just to much going on.
            Next year is the last on the contract. If you want to make it, it better be next year. No guarentees on contract renewals. They did have a record attendance for the sight this year, which is great news. We need to keep it up.

Originally posted by Stretchastring View Post
            I wanna come shoot just cant afford a whole hotel by myself.
            Roommates! In Tuscaloosa, I got a room with a refrig and microwave, so I had microwave meals for breakfast and dinner and I always sack a lunch. It helps a bunch! If you go to a few of these or post on TBH that you need a roommate, you will find some good traveling buddies.

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
            We had a good time! This was Robert's first Pro Am and he made it on to the podium with a 3rd place finish so we were pleased.
            Congrats Robert!!

Comment

ProVI - I know who you are and both of your girls. Your sweethart was with me and Pistol most of the afternoon. I'm sorry your wife doesn't know us, but all of the pros know to watch their kids until a relative comes to get them - which is usually pretty quick after the future champions session, about 4 pm. Your girl was with me until she asked for Pistol and then she stayed with her. I realize your background has you ultra protective, and it should, but you know both of us. I realize it is scary for you and I completely understand. You never know about some people, but most people at these shoots are really good people.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                ProVI - I know who you are and both of your girls. Your sweethart was with me and Pistol most of the afternoon. I'm sorry your wife doesn't know us, but all of the pros know to watch their kids until a relative comes to get them - which is usually pretty quick after the future champions session, about 4 pm. Your girl was with me until she asked for Pistol and then she stayed with her. I realize your background has you ultra protective, and it should, but you know both of us. I realize it is scary for you and I completely understand. You never know about some people, but most people at these shoots are really good people.
                I know you guys, my wife doesn't. It is totally my fault, that I did not ask any questions. My mind heard the lady say they watch them while their parents are shooting and I took that for face value and didn't get the full details.

I wasn't scared, maybe just a little embarrassed that people had to step in and do my job for me. My wife on the other hand was not a happy camper at all. She hears names but doesn't know faces or people personally.

GA thinks the world of Pistol and you guys. I really appreciate you guys going above and beyond.

Comment

Saw Robert the other day and yesterday. Was proud of him to place third in his class! Congrats to him again.

Comment

Originally posted by ProV1 View Post

That kind of surprised me the first time I shot it as well. Bow Novice is kind of a catchall group. It has the people that are novice to 3D, but are no means novice to shooting a hunting bow, people that are novice to shooting bow and/or 3D, but are shooting 3D type equipment, then the "ringers" that are shooting Novice till they get it mastered before moving up in class, because I don't think you can move back down. The "ringers" in novice are no where near the top of the next step up.

Comment

I shot bow novice at the pro am. I thought I would do better based on my first(only) 3d. I shot a 2 up at the pro am.

The biggest things were the distance differences and the targets were turned more than I had seen before. I hate the javalina, btw.

Cant wait to shoot the next one.

Comment

I think the guy that won bow novice had never shot a 3D tourney before. I talked to him and his running buddy for a while Sunday am and he was a happy camper.

Comment

I shot the hunter class. Half known, half unknown out to 40 yards with fixed pins. I had to use my my grandsons sight off his youth bow it's the only fixed pin sight I own. I had 2 pins 27 and 35. I shot ok. I just do it for fun and giggles anyway. Mparks a TBHer shot together in the same group and had a blast.
                          ProV I hope y'all come back and both shoot again.

Comment

Im gonna shoot the rest of this year in bow novice, then move to known 45 or open c. Ill do that while I work on judging, cuz I suck at it right now.

Comment

Abcdj you did good with that sight!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                                That kind of surprised me the first time I shot it as well. Bow Novice is kind of a catchall group. It has the people that are novice to 3D, but are no means novice to shooting a hunting bow, people that are novice to shooting bow and/or 3D, but are shooting 3D type equipment, then the "ringers" that are shooting Novice till they get it mastered before moving up in class, because I don't think you can move back down. The "ringers" in novice are no where near the top of the next step up.
                                Word....hunter is pretty competitive. Judging is where the $ is at. Thats why there are no known pro classes. You learn to judge you can beat shooters better than you cause most just practice shooting. ...just my 2 cents

Comment

Working...
                                X