No announcement yet.

Very disappointing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to go to our local 3d club but all of the shoots are 11 am on sundays

Comment

We started offering a couple of Saturday shoots every year. That was one of the request we had been getting for a long time. Turnout has been lower on saturday every time. Lots of people have to work , can't please them all but we atleast made an attempt.
      We also cut back the number of club shoots we hold due to lack of help. We always have lots of interest early in the year but as it gets warmer we lose many of them.

Comment

and another issue is help--

Our club averages 3-5 people for help, and has been that way for as long as I can remember. Three of us did the majority of the work for last weekend's qualifier with another two helping when they could. New ranges cut, new target inserts, new bags on the bag target practice range, setting out targets and stakes, and mowing.
        Our numbers steadily decline as the warm summer months start, but this year we are following Quitman's lead and in May will go to a California start 9-12. I don't think we will have a shoot in August, but one in September. We tried Saturday shoots and had the worst attendance ever. We can't compete with soccer and baseball.

So the only thing left to change is our attitude. Attitude is a choice and we decided ours would be that we are a small group of friends that get together once a month, put up some targets, hope some other friends join us, and we have a good time. We appreciate our friends that become members and those that don't but come shoot anyway. The other attitude we have is "what can we do for the club" not "what can the club do for us." Its a volunteer club that takes a lot of work and we have to be careful that we don't take advantage of them and slip into 'volunteer abuse'- I know many churches will do that!
        And Tim is right- if you send a message chastising members for not helping, they will go somewhere else to shoot.

Comment

Just my opinion but it is tuff for a club to make it in a small town.
          30 years ago there was one in nearly every town in my part of north east Texas. Now I guess Tyler is about the closest I know about 45 minutes away and $50.00 worth of diesel.

As far as the ASA , I'm not a fan of shooting for money. It seems to make folks take it way to serious.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
            just because your older you got a lower number. I'm (17768), which means they have really grown since you joined. I have been a member of asa since i had to join to shoot the state shoot in 2001. If you did not have to be a member i would not be one there either. I could care less about being a member of any of the different orgs. I was only a member of ibo because it came with being a board member at the club. The same with asa. The organizations make money with there formats and shoots and when i shoot one they get my money. I don't feel the need to support them further by joining.
            I have been a working member and board or officer ( from range captain to president and many years as multiple positions)since 1998 in fort worth until this year. Helped with every shoot since that time , club and qualifiers.

The organizations that cater to the shooters are the ones that survive just like the clubs. Shooter friendly rules and equal level competition are what sets apart some from others.

In the case of lsba , they only have 1 open class. This makes the beginning scope shooter have to compete against someone who may have been shooting 10-20 years. Asa offers 3 open classes and requires advancement based on experience. Which shoot is the new guy going to shoot?

I like center 12 scoring which lsba offers as it gives you more room for error. I like the speed limit asa offers to keep the playing field relatively equal. I just shoot asa because that is where the best shooters are showing up , and i want to compete against the best. There are also 20+ shoots in texas to choose from. That alone draws more shooters.
            If anyone is shooting to get rich, state level is not the place. It is nice to travel, shoot or eat free though. You can do that shooting in a bigger asa class.
            It has taken many years of work getting these shoots as popular as they are. Along with tireless hours of work with no compensation. The ones who did this , did it because they love archery and love shooting. If the other organizations had people willing to put forth the efforts , they could also be more popular. But, not without lots of promoting and listening to the shooters that attend . Whether it be adding a class , changing a max distance or type of awards given.
            I do believe you Ur one of us we all wand to have archery grow. So no hart filings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
              ....So the only thing left to change is our attitude. Attitude is a choice and we decided ours would be that we are a small group of friends that get together once a month, put up some targets, hope some other friends join us, and we have a good time. We appreciate our friends that become members and those that don't but come shoot anyway. The other attitude we have is "what can we do for the club" not "what can the club do for us." Its a volunteer club that takes a lot of work and we have to be careful that we don't take advantage of them and slip into 'volunteer abuse'- ....
              I totally agree.

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              ...As far as the ASA , I'm not a fan of shooting for money. It seems to make folks take it way to serious.
              The best time I ever had at a 3D shoot was with you Buff and Chunky. I sure miss those shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by The Greek View Post
                I do believe you Ur one of us we all wand to have archery grow. So no hart filings.

Comment

Kyle, I sent you a PM.

Comment

Returned^^^^

This aint about help, or appreciation. I knew full well going into this that at best I would have 2-3 help AT BEST. I enjoy setting the range, its tons of work, but I've wanted this since I was 12 yrs old. I've been blessed with the opp to showcase some of the best shooting challenges I feel in Texas along with some great friends and meet new shooters every year. Just very concerned with turn out this year and was wondering if it was seen elsewhere?

After thinking about it a few days: fuel+asa qualifier within an hour+end of sprong break+ great day to get yard work done= low numbers. I promise to provide the best course WE can next month in hopes of the crouds coming back around.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and kind comments.

Oh and that just made me a P&Y

Comment

Congrats on the P&Y
                      If I don't have hunters booked, I will come to your shoot

Thanks for the kind words Dusty

Comment

It was my first time there and I really enjoyed the challenge of the course. I will be shooting every 1 I can depending on my work schedule.

Comment

Pulling up my chair and cold one for this thread!

Anyone else wanna join in

Comment

Congrats on the P&Y, Kyle!

Comment

Working...
                            X