X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SwampBuck
    replied
    Well said.
    I’ve caught myself getting wrapped up into the season a bit too much and not enjoying the hunts I did get. I’d get disappointed not seeing the deer I wanted to be seeing or when bucks I passed got shot or disappeared. I couldn’t understand why I put in all the time and effort but guys who barely sight their rifles in always seemed to shoot a wall hanger.

Deep down I knew I just needed to appreciate being out there and that I am able to do so.
    Well written post. Thanks for putting that out there.

Leave a comment:

• DRT
    replied
    Finding a good place to hunt can be a challenge. Finding a good place with good friends is harder. However finding a place with good people to make new friends is always good too.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• SJP51
    replied
    I've gotten to where the kill is not the thrill. And that's a good thing for me since hunting opportunities suck. I haven't seen a 125 class buck in 10+ years.

For me it's the anticipation of the hunt and mostly just being around other men that love the outdoors. Camaraderie is what it's all about. It's what I like most about 3D shoots. Sure, I like shooting my bow, but doing a 25 target course by yourself is not half as much fun as with 3 other crusty old farts.

Leave a comment:

• Riverbottomkid
    replied
    Very well said. I am sure a lot of us feel the same way. As I have gotten older I catch myself looking longer at the Sunrise and Sunsets and have come to realize we should not take any day for granted. The great thing about hunting is there is always “next year” to look forward to; Good Lord Willing.

Leave a comment:

• ThisLadyHunts
    replied
    Well stated and beautifully written. You’ve given us much to think about, much of which can be applied to almost all aspects of one’s life.

Leave a comment:

• DUKFVR
    replied
    Great post Gary!

Leave a comment:

• Redfeathers
    replied
    Nice, well written!!

Leave a comment:

• DRT
    replied
    I'm sure age and failing parts plays into it for sure. I've lived my whole life like I was gonna live forever. But expecting to die tomorrow.
    With that though, if I ever get to the point where I only take a camera to stand, I'm gonna take up pickle ball or something. [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Leave a comment:

• M.E.B.
    replied
    I’ve killed my share of deer. I’ve killed some nice deer. I’ve passed a lot of deer to “give them another year.”

But at 63 the idea of starting over on a new property and waiting 5 yrs to improve the herd is not something I’d look forward to.

You hear the old saying

First you want to kill a deer.

Then it’s how many deer.

Then it’s big deer.

Then it’s the experience.

When in the beginning it was really about having fun. I can enjoy myself without killing a deer but if not killing one was the intent I’d have a camera instead of a bow in my hand.

At 63 two shoulder replacements and a crappy back I try to enjoy every year I have left.

Leave a comment:

• Trumpkin
    replied
    Well said Gary! Nothing like sharing in hardships to give some perspective on life. I'd have been fine waiting another 20 years to start gaining perspective though!

I realized a while back that I needed to be thankful for all the experiences of hunting, or it wasn't worth the time and effort. This year was a heck of a season for me, despite missing two shots at deer, and never punching a tag. Going all in on public land was what I wanted to do, more than filling the freezer (much to your chagrin, hah!). My wife didn't quite get my decisions, till I explained that I'd be asking "what if...?" all off season. And I can tell you right now, a couple weeks into the offseason, I haven't said "what if..." a single dang time!

Leave a comment:

• 60 Deluxe
    replied
    I had those thoughts about ten years ago. Bottom line for me is, I'll be around and hunt until the good Lord calls me home. It no longer matters if there is another year of hunting ahead of me. I didn't hunt one time this past season and don't regret it. I watched the deer struggle through a brutal summer and decided that I wouldn't add to their misery. I am fairly certain that our fawn crop was a bust. I went ahead and planted wheat last fall for forage even though we sold all the cattle last spring. Now there is a good source of food for them so maybe I will see some fawns in the spring. I didn't see a single one in 2022. Seems like there was once a bumper sticker that said "No Regrets". Stop worrying about what may or may not happen and deal with today and hope for tomorrow. You will be happier.

Leave a comment:

• JayBay3405
    replied
    Very well put Gary, I never have to struggle for meat, heck if I do I will just get out the rifle and bust an axis doe. The tradbow hunt, is so thrilling that size of horns does not even come into play for me. If I dont get another season I have no regrets, that being said I sure hope I do. Dan Toelke called me Monday and said my new Pika will ship next week!!

Leave a comment:

• DRT
    replied
    Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
    Well written and to the point Gary. I’ve been thinking of the same things here lately. Going through family hardships and turmoil makes you think of these things and appreciate every sunrise and deer coming into the area. I put a lot of hours in the stands this season and as Fred Bear put it, “I was 10’ closer to heaven in my stands”.
    I personally had my best season to date with no regrets and nothing bigger than a 7” spike! Lol
    You had a great season bud. Between you, Trumpkin and Jaybay3405 I was pumped the whole season in anticipation and celebration.

Last edited by DRT; 01-24-2023, 10:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BillyJack1975
    replied
    Well written and to the point Gary. I’ve been thinking of the same things here lately. Going through family hardships and turmoil makes you think of these things and appreciate every sunrise and deer coming into the area. I put a lot of hours in the stands this season and as Fred Bear put it, “I was 10’ closer to heaven in my stands”.
    I personally had my best season to date with no regrets and nothing bigger than a 7” spike! Lol

Leave a comment:

• Drycreek3189
    replied
    Well said Sir ! A good and honest assessment of our lives and how frail they are, especially as we age, is something all of us need to think about from time to time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X