Longbow: Arrow hitting the shelf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbow: Arrow hitting the shelf

I thought I knew how to tune up a bow. But this one has me beat.

Bob Lee 62" Longbow. BH set at 8 1/4" as per JJ. 47# @ 29". Using 2 string nocks. Shooting split finger. Bare shaft (with electrical tape instead of feathers) flies straight and groups with the fletched arrows. But the grouping of 4" at 20-yards is not "tight" I think due moslty to the arrow striking the shelf.

I've set the string nock from 1/4" to 5/8" and the arrow flies with it rear in the air. Much more so with 5/8" nock height than @ 1/4". But see pic. The arrow slipping off the leather and hitting the shelf. Not every time. But 50% of the time. I can hear it scraping the shelf as it passes by.

Seems I saw a post on just this problem recently, but I cannot find it to read up.

Help.
    Last edited by SJP51; 12-05-2022, 08:29 PM.

Nock point too low.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      Nock point too low.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
      My thoughts, too. But 5/8" high seems crazy high to be having this problem.

Comment

Double, or triple up your shelf cover thickness.

But, I gotta say - most of the time when I have seen those markings, it was from an arrow to stiff.

Rick

Comment

Where is the rub on the arrow? What does it look like?

I get those riser wears. My stiff logs bang around a bunch. More like efoc battering rams banging their butts around. Feathers get chewed in the mayhem.

Comment

Totally goofed original my post. Wrote wrong bow specs. The Longbow is 47# @29" (my DL). The 43# is a different bow.

Total brain lock up.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              Where is the rub on the arrow? What does it look like?

I get those riser wears. My stiff logs bang around a bunch. More like efoc battering rams banging their butts around. Feathers get chewed in the mayhem.
              About 1/2 to 3/4 of the way back towards the nock. Looks like a 4" long scrape on the shaft.

Comment

Arrows too stiff and too weak will give you issues. Had to remove my brass inserts on my new bow because they’re now under spined. Like previously said, nock height might be the ticket. I had a short recurve that was 3/4” above. Once I figured her out, she shot arrows like darts! Every bow is different. I’m sure you’ll get her figured out soon Steve.

Comment

I dealt with this for a long time. But so severe that my fletched shafts would noticeably fly bad. And on every bow I shot. I could tune off an elevated rest no problem. For me it wasn’t arrow spine or nock point. It was string torque at release. I still don’t have it fixed completely, but if I focus on not rotating my string hand counter clockwise upon release, I get no contact on the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
                    I dealt with this for a long time. But so severe that my fletched shafts would noticeably fly bad. And on every bow I shot. I could tune off an elevated rest no problem. For me it wasn’t arrow spine or nock point. It was string torque at release. I still don’t have it fixed completely, but if I focus on not rotating my string hand counter clockwise upon release, I get no contact on the shelf.
                    Well now. That's interesting. I hope they are just too stiff.

Comment

Working...
                    X