Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wing Archery Falcon guidance needed

62” #45
    An older friend loaned this recurve too me years ago and doesnt seem to want it back. A few years ago (2018ish) I bought a new string from HCB and never strung it. I strung it yesterday and shot it. Wow. This is what Ive been missing not shooting a center cut recurve longer than 60” and in the #40 range. I grabbed a random heavy built arrow and started shooting a full length 400spine Beman centershot with 75gn brass insert and 300gn point 3 under and no nocking points yet. The arrow flew like a dart with minimal gap or offset. I need a strike plate and nocking points before I get to tuning.

I pulled up the 1972 AMF Wing Archery catalog to look at the manufacturers quivers and accesories. Pretty cool seeing the variety of options that were available…four blade broadheads, bow sights, camoflouge coveralls, etc.

Apparently this bow was a utility bow(?) marketed alongside starter bows.

Questions:
    Who makes a quiver that will bolt to the factory riser inserts?
    What is the thread count for those inserts?
    What brace height should I start at?
    Why was this considered a utility/starter bow?

Im curious if the current Bob Lee Great Northern quivers will work on this bow. The current Great Northern bolt on quivers seem to be made for 3piece takedown bows.
    We carry three attachment styles of Great Northern quivers embossed with our brand to make a practical and attractive addition to your Bob Lee takedown recurve or long bow. Available for right and left hand shooters in these options (scroll at left for photos): Black Leather Brown Leather Brown Water Buffalo Double Layer - Brown Water Buffalo over Black QUICK MOUNT for Bolt-Up Models Attaches to our Bolt-Up models without inserts or modifications. It is lightweight (only a few ounces, fully loaded), holds 5 arrows securely and can be instantly installed or removed without unstringing your bow and without removing arrows from the quiver. A pair of quiver bolts (longer than the standard bolts shipped with our bows) is required for installing, and are included with your quiver order, as well as the mount adapter needed for your Bob Lee Bow. For instructions on how to install, view our Quiver Video. For our Stabi-Lock™ Models with ConcealCap SIDE MOUNT "Kick Back Extreme" This style quiver is recommended for our new ConcealCap design, since there are no exposed bolts for attaching but it does require the installation of quiver inserts in the handle. STRAP ON "Kick Back" This is recommended for our bows with the new ConcealCap design without the need for drilling handle inserts.

If anyone has an old Wing archery bolt on quiver, Id like to purchase it.

Any and all knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 12-04-2022, 11:36 AM.

Best of luck with it. I've seen several good rep on them.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a particularly handsome bow. Seems barebones utilitarian.
      Attached Files

Comment

For those that dont know.
        Bob Lee started Wing Archery in the late 1950s. Purportedly, Wing Archery was up to about 1500 bows produced per week! The Red Hawk hunting recurve was such a solid hunting recurve that it then was copied or mimicked by Pearson, Bear and others. Then MrLee sold to AMF and was to run the Wing Archery Division business for 5 years. Shortly afterwards, AMF crapped the financial bed and sold out/went under.

Most of us know how and where and what Bob Lee ended his bowyer career, building Bob Lee bows.

Somebody correct me if Im wrong in this statement.

Comment

I believe that there was a ski company in that lineage somewhere. Head Ski. Google it. The reason the Falcon was considered an entry level bow is because it is plain jane. No fancy wood lay-ups or exotic hardwood in those bows.

I had a couple of Thunderbirds for a while and later on got a Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt was quite the bow. It had a really high grip for my liking, so I sold it to a guy over in Europe. I was not impressed with the quality of Wing bows. Tip overlays were put on crooked and looked terrible. The overlay on the back of the riser was not tapered into the riser. It was like they couldn't wait to get the bows out the door. I thought about finishing the work and refinishing the better of the Thunderbirds. It shot good, but not as good as a Howatt Super Diablo that came along about the same time. Enjoy the bow. It will never be a collector piece so you can just use it without worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            For those that dont know.
            Bob Lee started Wing Archery in the late 1950s. Purportedly, Wing Archery was up to about 1500 bows produced per week! The Red Hawk hunting recurve was such a solid hunting recurve that it then was copied or mimicked by Pearson, Bear and others. Then MrLee sold to AMF and was to run the Wing Archery Division business for 5 years. Shortly afterwards, AMF crapped the financial bed and sold out/went under.

Most of us know how and where and what Bob Lee ended his bowyer career, building Bob Lee bows.

Somebody correct me if Im wrong in this statement.
            I think you are on the money. His factory was on Highway 69 S of Jacksonville. I had a friend that worked there for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
              I believe that there was a ski company in that lineage somewhere. Head Ski. Google it. The reason the Falcon was considered an entry level bow is because it is plain jane. No fancy wood lay-ups or exotic hardwood in those bows.

I had a couple of Thunderbirds for a while and later on got a Thunderbolt. The Thunderbolt was quite the bow. It had a really high grip for my liking, so I sold it to a guy over in Europe. I was not impressed with the quality of Wing bows. Tip overlays were put on crooked and looked terrible. The overlay on the back of the riser was not tapered into the riser. It was like they couldn't wait to get the bows out the door. I thought about finishing the work and refinishing the better of the Thunderbirds. It shot good, but not as good as a Howatt Super Diablo that came along about the same time. Enjoy the bow. It will never be a collector piece so you can just use it without worry.
              Thanks. I was hoping you might chime in.
              If I get the go ahead, it might get a rattlecan camo job.

Any intel or leads on a quiver?

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                Thanks. I was hoping you might chime in.
                If I get the go ahead, it might get a rattlecan camo job.

Any intel or leads on a quiver?
                I purchased Selway strap ons for my Wings.....great bows by the way. Selways strap ons remove easily, I shoot without quiver attached.

Comment

Originally posted by stan v View Post
                  I purchased Selway strap ons for my Wings.....great bows by the way. Selways strap ons remove easily, I shoot without quiver attached.
                  Good push for Selway working with Wings. Thank you!

Ive a Selway quick detach on my killing longbow. It has been awesome. I really like the hood being synthetic and not leather. If I cant ferret out a Wing quiver Ill probably go this route. The wing manufacturer hoods seem to have been nylon or somesuch synthetic. They might all be rotted out by now.

Comment

Working...
                  X