Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for loose nocks on string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for loose nocks on string?

My serving is pretty worn down from shooting, and wanted to ask everyone whether you just redo the serving or use quick fixes? I've heard people say they use dental floss, but are there other tricks out there to fix this issue?

Couple wraps of tape will help till you can get it fixed

Comment

I've never tried this before, but it seems like you could boil some water, stick the ends of the nocks in there to heat up, then kind of push them together until they cool off. Then they'll be a little tighter. I wouldn't stick them all the way in, though, or it might loosen the glue holding them on. I'd just stick them in there deep enough heat up the little wings.

Or you could wrap an extra layer of serving on your string.

Comment

Buy a new string. I've had a nock slip off before I shot. Basically a dry fire. Broke the handle. Massive string slap buster on my arm. Just buy a new string

Comment

Get it re-served

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It ain't no joke when it slides off the string at full draw with a broadhead on there.

Comment

Heat knocks and shape while warm. It will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m in the “reserve the string” crowd. Very easy to do yourself once you learn how. Or, not to expensive to have a shop do it. It’s best to learn how yourself though.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Reserve. Then you can inspect the string strands under the serving to ensure the string is still in good shape. When strings break they tend to happen at the high stress area at the string nock.

Comment

Thank you all. Reserving the string is what I was leaning towards, so i think i'm going to go that route and learn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      Get it re-served

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      Word.

Really: Learn to reserve and do so.

Ive worn through my serving and string playing hokey pokey with nock height. On one bow, the string popped. On another bow several of the string strands has worn through and theyve popped. It doesnt show on one side of string because of serving being tight enough to disguise. It only became apparent on the other end when I saw the string curling.

Ive done the gambit of biting nocks closed to using duct tape, painters tape and electrical tape to fill nock throat gap by wrapping the string. Eventually everything fails. Even serving.

Good skilling MrEat.
                      Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-25-2022, 02:10 PM. Reason: EverythingEventuallyFailsSpake

Comment

I just build a new string. Sometimes my new strings don't fit my arrow nocks due to the strand count and material used. The thick serving material that I have on hand is nylon and it just doesn't last as well as Halo, so I resort to dental floss or even B55 string material to build up the area until the nocks fit. I then put a drop of wicking super glue on the floss. It immediately soaks the entire wrap. The strands of floss bond together but don't bond to the Halo serving on the string. It works great. I use my arrows on several bows so changing the opening size of the nock would limit those arrows to that one string.
                        Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 10-26-2022, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X