Building a 3 bow arsenal and need advice/opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, in a years time I have learned a lot ( at least I think I have) about what I like/don’t like in a bow.

Started off with a Satori, and then shortly after a Grizzly. In hindsight sight the satori was probably a great bow but did not care for the weight or the grip, however with the right limbs it probably would have been an excellent “performance” recurve.

At the time I liked the Grizzly, it was much easier to shoot, quiet and I could shoot it accurately. I traded off the satori for a 59’ reproduction Kodiak which is a beautiful bow, but I never could get it really to shoot well as it’s more finicky and I struggle with the sting slapping my forearm. At 54# it’s also much louder then the Grizzly.

Shortly after I bought a Super Kodiak and transitioned it to my main bow. At my draw it measures 48# and it’s a smooth shooting bow with almost zero hand-shock, decent but not blistering speed and it’s quiet. Honestly I like everything about it. I just sold my Grizzly as I can never see myself shooting it, thought about taking it to the cabin to have a bow there on hand for just in cases but after shooting the Super K it’s not something I would really be happy with long term. Also have the 59’ for sale as I’m wanting something that’s a smoother bow.

I’ve decided I want to employ a 3 bow arsenal, 2 bows being right around the same draw weight ( 48# ) that I can use the same arrows interchangeably and 1 heavier bow in the mid 50’s weight.

I’m keeping the Super K and am now looking for two new bows. I’ve been intrigued by the Martin Black Mamba but don’t know much about them. They are available in a while range of weights in a LH bow, which is appealing for a heavier bow. I’m not at all opposed to buying another Super K but don’t want the same color as my current one and would probably want to wait for bear to release next years like to get one in different riser wood.

My questions are these:

What is the general consensus of a mamba/black mamba in terms of performance and shoot ability?

Due to my height and short draw, should I look for a shorter bow like a 52 or 54” bow instead of a 58”-60”

Is there another manufacturer I should look at? I like Bear because it’s easy to get a left hand bow but am aware of their quality control issues. Price isn’t an issue per say but I’m not ready to go drop a few grand on a Bob Lee or Primal Tech.

Anything else I should consider when building this arsenal? I am really liking the Super K and for Texas hunting it would more than likely remain the primary bow, but I think I need at least a backup in case something happens to it.

I too, had a Satori and let it go. It was the balance for me. Heavy is something that helps steady the shot. I have tremors in my hands that can be muted somewhat with a heavy bow. I recently bought a beat-up Satori and hung some more weight on it to fix the balance issue. I'm shooting that bow better than anything on the wall. I'm still not happy with the grip. On my third grip now and I'm starting to get the idea that it is time to get out the wood rasp and a sander instead of throwing money at someone else's idea of a grip. The concept of a riser that accepts limbs from many different companies has a lot of appeal to me. I now have three different sets of limbs that will work on the Satori. One is a light draw weight set that I bought for rehabbing a shoulder injury, and the other two are "my weight" limbs in carbon/wood and carbon/foam. The bow is fun to tinker with and I'm doing well with it.

The Black Mamba is a bow that I probably won't ever try because of the length. I've owned Hunters, and a Super Diablo, a couple of Savannahs, and a Serengetti. They were all well built bows with better craftsmanship and finish than I see in the present age Bear bows. If you were to buy a Black Mamba and get along well with it, that would be great. One word of caution, though, the Martin bows do not command the resale value of the Bears or the Hoyt Satori. I can't explain it. They are good to great bows but the Super Diablo and Savannah seem to be the only two that command a good price on the resale market.

If money isn't a big factor, Schafer Silvertips are a great bow. New ones will set you back a couple of grand and a year or more wait time. Used bows are presently priced well over a thousand dollars. Some are worth it and some of the older ones are overpriced. Hard to come by, super easy to sell, great bows, really easy to look at, but trend towards being on the heavy side in the mass weight category.

Don't rule out Stalker bows. South knows a thing or two about building a bow. I just had to try one, so I purchased a discounted Wolverine from his stock bow page. The bow shoots about as good as anything that I've ever used. It isn't as fancy as the Silvertip and is priced accordingly. They are a really good product for a guy that wants to move away from factory-built bows without spending the really big bucks on a custom-made bow.
    Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 10-23-2022, 04:13 AM.

Comment

I have a Mamba and shoot it quite well. I got it at a great price and don't know why I'd let it go. As a one piece it would not be a great travel bow. But I can take it out and kill something with it tomorrow and I haven't shot it in a year.
      That said I've read that Martin was no longer in the traditional bow industry, that their factory had burned down and they lost everything in it. No clue if that is true.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Idk anything about the Mamba, but you can’t go wrong with a Primal Tech!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I don’t have a mamba, but do have a couple other Martins/Damon Howatts and they are really nice shooting bows. I also have an older bear takedown that is great, but I like the grips more on the Martins. I’m also running a three bow arsenal for main hunting bows and like the peace of mind I get should something happen to one. Plus more bows to shoot is always more fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by HunterB; 10-23-2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

I've got three of them too! [emoji2]

Comment

Why not get a longbow, so you can shoot multiple classes of 3D shoots/have something to play with when the recurve gets too easy?

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                Why not get a longbow, so you can shoot multiple classes of 3D shoots/have something to play with when the recurve gets too easy?
                I have absolutely zero desire to compete in any 3-D shoots

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

I will probably get one in the future I’m just not sure I’m there yet ( to custom bow level). Want to make dang sure I know my likes and dislikes before I order up a bow.

Comment

The old Howatt factory in Walla Walla, Washington did burn. Martin bought Howatt back in the mid sixties or early seventies shortly after Damon Howatt was killed in an automobile accident. The trad bow line was sold and supposedly moved to Michigan about four years ago. https://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/l...ory=88#4347350

I'm beginning to wonder if they are even still in business. Mike Bush was in charge of sales but the only posts that I've seen him make lately are about him fighting cancer. He did post late last week that he is now cancer free, so that is good news. He was selling some of his prize collector bows, some out of Gail Martin's collection, to fund heating oil for his home and to pay some medical bills. I'm curious about them. Hate to see a traditional bow line go out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                      I will probably get one in the future I’m just not sure I’m there yet ( to custom bow level). Want to make dang sure I know my likes and dislikes before I order up a bow.

Completely understand, and that is a smart way to go at it!!!

Bisch

Comment

A custom bow isn't going to make you shoot beyond your capabilities. There is no magic bow. I'd venture to say that there are some shooters on this forum who shoot Samick Sage's and can outshoot me with my PT at any given match.
                        Bisch likes to tell me it's not the bow, it's the monkey pulling the string.

Comment

I cannot find a Martin mamba for sale so it’s possible they are out of business.

One thought I had was to have a takedown in the three bow line, I could go bsck to a satori but am not crazy on the metal riser.

I could get a bear takedown A riser with heavier limbs and be at a 56” amo which would probably work great for my draw length.

Would solve two issues, and then get next years super Kodiak in 55# if they change colors.

Comment

Welp,

Bought a Bear Black maple takedown from 3 rivers today….excited to use a 56” amo bow and see how that fits my frame and draw length.

I pray that this rig shoots well for me and will fit my heavier weight/travel bow void. Gonna set it up with my current arrows, draw should be around 55-57# and with my current arrows at 553 grains be around 9.7 gpp which I figure is an appropriate weight that will allow for a decent trajectory.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                              Welp,

Bought a Bear Black maple takedown from 3 rivers today….excited to use a 56” amo bow and see how that fits my frame and draw length.

I pray that this rig shoots well for me and will fit my heavier weight/travel bow void. Gonna set it up with my current arrows, draw should be around 55-57# and with my current arrows at 553 grains be around 9.7 gpp which I figure is an appropriate weight that will allow for a decent trajectory.

Sounds like it’ll be a great rig. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a new set of limbs for my bear takedown to replace the old 65 pounders on it. Let us know how you like it once it’s all set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X