Arrow Speed: A Theoretical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Speed: A Theoretical Question

For bows the same length, limbs of exact same materials, same string, etc. and the same archer (DL is the same, hold the same, release the same, etc)..... Would an arrow with the same GPP for a 40lb and 50lb bow fly at the same speed?

For instance 9 GPP arrows of 360 grains and 450 grains. Would they have the same speed?

Theoretically I'd say yes.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I would also say yes. But design of the bow could radically alter the speed.

Comment

"IF" the bows are the same except for draw weight, then within a small frame of variance, the answer is: yes, they will shoot close to the same speed.

Rick

Comment

The ones with the shortest brace height will be faster most times.
          But not as forgiving. The longer the arrow stays on the string the more speed it builds regardless of arrow weight. Erthang is relative you know If one has more twists in the string it might shoot a tad slower than another exact copy.
          Last edited by muzzlebrake; 10-23-2022, 10:47 AM.

Comment

i used to shoot bows from 50 pounds up to 83 pounds. i used heavier arrows as I moved up in weight. Like 600 grain arrow from a 64 pound bow or 700 in a 72 pound bow. I wanted the arrow to hit where i was looking with what ever bow i was shooting at the time. I would practice all week with a 55 pound bow then hunt with a 64 on the weekend. My big struggle was always turning loose of the string. The heavier the bow the better my release

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
              i used to shoot bows from 50 pounds up to 83 pounds. i used heavier arrows as I moved up in weight. Like 600 grain arrow from a 64 pound bow or 700 in a 72 pound bow. I wanted the arrow to hit where i was looking with what ever bow i was shooting at the time. I would practice all week with a 55 pound bow then hunt with a 64 on the weekend. My big struggle was always turning loose of the string. The heavier the bow the better my release
              Pretty much the same for me.

I try to maintain 9.5 gpp for whatever draw weight I am shooting.

Example - 522gr arrow for 55# bow, 617gr arrow for 65# bow, 807gr arrow for 85# bow, etc, etc.

It's always held in there pretty close speed wise, as long as the bows were close to the same in geometry, length, and limb materials.

Rick

Comment

Working...
              X