String Silencers Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Silencers Revisited

For those purists out there, who scoff at the concept of bow, and/or string silencing, this probably isn't for you. Also, I know these aren't purdy/stylish, but they work better than anything I have ever used (which is considerable), and they only weigh 7 grains each.

Now to the meat of the post:

The string silencers are two foam ear plugs. One on each end.

Normally I would thread them onto the string, but I didn't want to remove the string to do it this morning, so I split them in half long ways, then centered the string inside the two halves, and tied them on using a nail knot. They work so well, that I will likely not use anything different anytime soon. Next ones will be threaded onto the string just to make them look a little better, but that'll be sometime down the road.

What you see above the silencer is a string slap dampener. 1" velcro disc, with a foam earplug threaded & tied in place onto the string, then centered on the disc. It also works very well, although this particular bow has very little slap.

I've been shooting with these on the string all morning (about 2.5 hours). They have not moved (but can be if needed), and they have not ripped. I'm happy.

Rick
    Attached Files

Since I wasn't going to get to go hunting this afternoon/evening, I decided to redo these threaded onto the string.

Maybe they don't look any better, but definitely more stream line, and the sound reduction quality is the same.

I know for sure, that not splitting them will preserve longevity.

Rick
    Attached Files

Comment

Whats your method to your madness for spacing and dampener placement?
      Do you try to hit the crest and trough of the sine wave with both?

I reckon youve got 4 dampeners overall.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing MrRick.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
        Whats your method to your madness for spacing and dampener placement?
        Do you try to hit the crest and trough of the sine wave with both?

I reckon youve got 4 dampeners overall.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing MrRick.
        The ear plug at the top (bottom on the other end) are just slap dampeners.

The others are the string vibration dampeners. I've tried the other methods (heterodyning, etc), but they don't make it any quieter, and they have a negative impact on performance.

I just place them as far out as I can go without getting contact on the limbs from them, and run with them there. These are 15" at center from the limb tips, and 6.75" at center from where the string leaves contact with the limbs.

Rick

Comment

Of the various methods, I have found placeing silencers 18.3% of live length away from the contact points on the limbs works best for me. The slap dampeners can also help if one needs to the brace height a tad lower.

Nice.

Comment

Pretty sure I have the final product figured out.

I have near 200 shots into these.

The shots are extremely quiet, and the ear plugs are holding up very well.

Moldable foam ear plugs X 4

3/16" X 1" strip of electrical tape X 4

String for tying in place - I use .026 serving material

1" diameter disc made from the fuzzy side of (industrial grade) peel & stick velcro X 2

Thread the ear plugs onto the string length ways through their center. I use a hot iron with a needle point to make the hole through them. Then I use a large fat needle, and some string (same string I use to tie them in) through the bow string loops to do the threading onto the bow string.

Once you have them on the string, slide them close to their final position, but leave enough room for you to do the tie in. Roll them to decrease their diameter, then wrap the strip of tape tightly at their center point.

Once you have the tape on, then tie a four coil nail knot at center of the tape, and pull it tight making sure the coils of the knot stay on the tape.

They will be tight, but can be moved. Slide them to their final positions.

If desired, you can also split the string silencer ear plugs for a more aesthetic appearance. I think it looks a little better, and to my ears it dampens the string vibration a bit more. Space them as desired.

The string slap dampeners should not be split. The velcro should be placed at limb center, with it outer (limb tip side) edge about 1/4" inside of where the string leaves contact of the limb while at brace, then center an ear plug on the disc.

Rick
            Attached Files

Comment

I hope they make it quiet, cause they sure are fugly!!!!! [emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch

You said fugly.
                Im cool with that. Fat chicks need love too….errr umm… ugly bows need love too!

Im gonna make my son thread some ear plugs on my wifes Sarrels longbow he shoots. He left her bow out and our night time patrol dog chewed up the silencers on his bow. Ive been avoiding buying and installing cat whiskers, but now because of Rick…

We is gonna make some quiet lovin…hopefully turned to quiet skilling.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-16-2022, 04:06 PM. Reason: QuietFuglyLovinSpake

Comment

Bisch

It's ok. The animals won't ever see them.

Rick

Comment

Bisch

You beat me to it bro.

Comment

Working...
                    X