Wear and Tear/Field marks on your bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wear and Tear/Field marks on your bow

for the Trad bows you hunt with, how many scuffs, dings and scratches does a bow tend to accumulate?

I've yet to hunt with my new Kodiak, but for shooting it almost daily its accumulated a few limb dings and what not.

I'm assuming that's par for the course?

Yup. They're just memories! Some weirdos like Tradman won't buy a bow without some damage already on it...

What a loony.

Comment

Whiskey dings. Truck, bow, relationships.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes.
        Inevitablely.
        Indubitubly.
        My duct tape elevation markings strip the varnish off my bows.
        Thwacking; a tree limb, concrete floor whilst sighting in seated from a bucket or popup blind isnt as common as it once was. Thankfully.
        Ive become annoyingly **** for limb clearance. Ill take the time to clear or move.
        Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-15-2022, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Different bows withstand wear and tear better than others. My hunting bows have epoxy finish on them, and it is tough as nails. It will get marred from rough use or mistakes. I take the time to fix the little boo boos before my bow starts to look like an old ranch truck gun. I suppose that there would be quite a few scuffs, dings, and scratches if I just allowed them to accumulate.

Comment

Randy touched up my nice bow when it jumped off a UTV onto the gravel.
            My two piece, the camo dip is definitely showing some w&t but it's killed enough animals on two continents that I'm not too concerned about it. I do have a plan for it's future look but it doesn't include a redip. I'm sure it's at least a year or so down the road.
            Actual dents or dings in limbs probably need some close scrutiny to ensure the integrity of them has not been compromised. Riser dents and dings probably not as critical.

Comment

Use them enough, and it's gonna happen.

My bows are a tool to me, and just like any other tool, I do my best to take care of them, but they aren't going to stay mint when used.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                Use them enough, and it's gonna happen.

My bows are a tool to me, and just like any other tool, I do my best to take care of them, but they aren't going to stay mint when used.

Rick
                Yes sir. And I've never been much on collector's items. If it can't work hard or play hard with me, it probably won't get bought. Or survive if it does.
                Mint in box means I picked up some Tic-Tacs in line at the store.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                  Different bows withstand wear and tear better than others. My hunting bows have epoxy finish on them, and it is tough as nails. It will get marred from rough use or mistakes. I take the time to fix the little boo boos before my bow starts to look like an old ranch truck gun. I suppose that there would be quite a few scuffs, dings, and scratches if I just allowed them to accumulate.
                  do you just touch them up with an epoxy brush ?

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                    do you just touch them up with an epoxy brush ?
                    No sir. I just do whatever needs to be done to get the finish level, then give it a light spray of polyurethane. Poly doesn't like epoxy, but it will stick if the epoxy isn't polished smooth first. My hunting bow got that treatment three or four years ago and is still going strong with no peeling or flaking. I fill dings with gel super glue, level it with sandpaper, then topcoat it. Same with limbs but generally if they really get banged up, I will do a complete refinish on them.
                    My really nice Silvertips stay on the rack during hunting season. I use the old work horse and don't mind using it one bit.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Noticed this yesterday where the polycoat was a little scuffed…..don’t know what could have caused it as I haven’t been real rough with the bow, only thing I think it could have been was a rub from my stringer strap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That damage can be filled with superglue or just feathered down and misted with poly or even put a little wipe-on over the area. You can always buff it a little bit later using a cotton wheel and an electric drill.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                          That damage can be filled with superglue or just feathered down and misted with poly or even put a little wipe-on over the area. You can always buff it a little bit later using a cotton wheel and an electric drill.
                          Should I address it now or do it after season?

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                            Should I address it now or do it after season?
                            I would do it now. That way you don't have to worry if you want to hunt on a wet day. We are talking about a ten-minute job here.

Comment

Good point. I'm gonna go with the wipe on poly to start with.

What grit sand paper should I use on the area?

Comment

Working...
                              X