Cedar or Aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedar or Aluminum?

I have been shooting razorcaps on aluminum arrows with the Hoyt recurve I have now.. I am about to get a Bob Lee, and am considering cedar arrows with two blade broadheads..
    What do you shoot, and why?

I have been shooting wood for about 17 years.Why?No other reason other than I like em.I have just bought some carbons for my longbow and can say they do shoot good,but I also shoot a selfbow and would never shoot anything other than wood with it,because anything else would be sacreligious

Comment

Carbons, Carbons, Carbons. I have shot them all. Good wood is hard to find. I try and make my own woodies and I'd say out of about 30 arrows I usually get 6 good shooters. Aluminum is very consistent, but bend easy. IMO carbon is the way to go. Very consistent arrow to arrow and tough as hell.....

Comment

I didn't realize you could shoot carbon with a traditional bow.. Now, two blades or four?

Comment

I personally like 2 blade heads but that is just because I can get em cheap and I finally learned a system for sharpening them that works well.

Comment

Do I put feather fletching on the carbon arrows?

Comment

Goldtips 35/55

Easton 2016s

2 blade Magnus

Why? The shafts seem to be close to the spine I need and the broadheads are available at Academy at a good price.

Comment

ArtisticWildlife

Feather fletching should be used on all arrows shot traditional. Shield cut 5" is my favorite.

Comment

Gold tip 35/55's weighted up to 9grn's per pound of draw weight, 5" feathers with a twist should get you going and are tuff enough to last as you practice.

Comment

I use both wood and carbon. It just depends on what I am hunting. I always use wood on hogs,as they tend to break anything that I shoot at them, and the woods are cheaper. On deer and elk I shoot either aluminum or carbon.If I want a heavy arrow, then I go with aluminum, but if I want a faster arrow I go with carbon. In all cases I use a two blade heads as I do like as much penetration as I can get with each type.

Comment

Artisticwdlf, here are some of my carbons fletched with 5" shield cut feathers. Some qare gold tip, some are carbon express, and some are Beman mfx classics. All arfe the wood grain finish.

Comment

Carbon or wood

What size carbon would you use on a 60# recurve with a 29" draw. I could never find a chart. I shoot cedar now.

Comment

The great thing about most of Bob Lee bows are that the shelf is cut 3/16 past center. Doing this allows you the ability to shoot a lot more of a variety of arrows. Esentially the bow is center shot.

Comment

bentstk, I probably go with a 55/75 or a 400 spine arrow. My recurve is 61# @ my 31" draw and I am shooting a 75/95. The 55/75 or 400's are pretty common for your set-up. I'd try and buy just one or two arrows and then see what point combo works best.

Comment

Bentstk,I shoot 58lbs@29'' and shoot 55/75 goldtip with 160tip,that is what shot good bareshaft out of my longbow.

Comment

Working...
                              X