Cheers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers

I'm sure most of you remember the show. Local watering hole "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came."
    For some I guess it could be a local bar. Maybe the home town cafe or even a place you haven't discovered yet.
    We meet new friends there sometimes and it turns out that some of them seem like old friends from the start.
    For me, there have been few places like that over the years.
    Yeah, work was a place where I made some life long friends, guys I still talk to long after they or I retired. But mostly it's a conversation about the old days, remember this person, that intense incident or that crazy job.
    For me one place where I have been where I'm treated like family is Missouri. And honestly they are family more so than most of my blood kin. A place you share in chores and happy to be part of anything Gibson.
    But closer to home I've found a place I can escape to where we are all a bit different, yet in one way we share something that keeps me coming back as often as I can get there.
    A place where I always feel welcome and can relax regardless of what is going on in my world. Discussion can be frank without being an offense. Help is offered and is always appreciated. Where the shooting out front, the food and fellowship outweigh to bountiful game and hunting experience.
    As the sun sets on the last evening of this visit here all I can think about is the blessing of the friends that have taken me in and made me feel at home since the first time I came here 18 months ago.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Been to the actual cheers bar in Boston. Very tiny , everything you saw on TV was all set. It was a nice little place though. Friendly folks

Comment

Tim King is an exceptional host, an accomplished traditional hunter and not a half bad cook. First time here he took in a small group looking for a hunt before his official "season" even started. Yes animals were taken and a great time was had but most of all it was apparent that this guy wasn't your average exotic ranch "outfitter". He was more of a host who happened to have a great place he enjoyed sharing with others so they too could find some serenity in his little slice of heaven.
      Second trip the hunting was tougher, weeks had passed and the animals had wised up a bit but still you saw game and had opportunities along with seeing animals from around the world. Your shots may have come harder but proved it was no canned hunt.
      Camp though was a place where grandchildren played, we laughed about masks and for me a wealth of knowledge was shared about traditional shooting and hunting was gleaned. Bisch has become not just a mentor on the internet but a friend and hunter it's a privilege to share camp with.
      Since then LOR has become a place I visit as often as opportunity allows. Some trips I go home with an empty ice chest but it is mostly because I either missed or wasn't going to take a shot I shouldn't. Even when I stuck a couple of pigs I couldn't find I still got an invite back. However this time started off worse.
      All this was following a period where I have missed 4 of the last 5 pigs I'd shot at on my place. Seemed I was in a slump and couldn't hit an animal even though targets were business as usual.
      First evening I shot a small pig that left me with a broken but bloodied arrow a a very prolific blood trail for about a hundred yards. Then nothing.
      Irritated but undaunted I got up and hunted the next day. As per the norm here comes a variety of animals including one of my targets, blackbuck doe. Which I somehow managed to center punch the shoulder bone and proved that steel force broadheads were not designed for splitting bone. Tim and Bisch assured me it happens and BB doe are small and fast and . . . I was still sick and mad at myself.
      Dejected but still being encouraged by Tim and Bisch that evening another one came into my 12 yard window and I proceeded to shoot right over her back. Now I'm defeated and ready to pick up my compound to salvage something from the train wreck I was causing.
      Still, instead of causing me more doubt, Tim said use the compound if that was my choice but he'd rather see me get one with the trad bow. So next morning I took both. Three trad arrows in my quiver and a compound with 4 arrows in it were I'm the cart on the way out and Tim asked which I was gonna use. Told him pigs get a trad arrow and exotics would be a game time decision.
      First pigs showed before feeder threw and one came into 3 yards. The Mamba already in hand the arrow was gone, the little pig went wee wee wee about 6 yards and died. Things were quiet for a few minutes then the feeders spun and here come fallow, several, and a lone blackbuck doe. All over under the corn feeder and all around the protein feeder were fallow but the lone BBD was giving me a long broadside look. With a fallow hind quarter right behind her chest. Patiently I held the bow ready. Trying not to think of the past but only show well the morning practice went and the first pig dying.
      Finally here come two more pigs and as they bypassed the protein feeder they spooked out the fallow from behind the doe and I drew and released the second arrow from the Mamba. As she ran off the arrow fletching just behind her right shoulder and broadhead out just behind her left shoulder I felt confident this time my connection was lethal, even if an inch or two high.
      However I don't have time to relish it because the big sow under the corn feeder saw her chance to dominate the protein feeder and jumped up and put her front feet in the trough. I was already grabbing my third (read last) arrow for my Mamba and I quickly drew and released. She squealed and before she could get out of the trough the red spot was growing where I had sliced through her heart. After that silence. And adrenaline filled texts to Tim and Bisch . . .
      But honestly without a friend encouraging me to fight through a slump, a guy who doesn't need valuable animals wounded and lost, I'd have taken just my compound out. Instead it never got picked up.
      The blackbuck doe was a little tougher track as the shot was about 3 inches higher than I'd like but still double lung. Just a lot of internal bleeding and not enough ground blood. But Zeke remedied that situation and I went from as low as I've been in a while bowhunting to relieved and hopeful again.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4336.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	24679370

Comment

Congrats to you and Zeke
        Enjoyed the write up

Comment

Great write-up Gary.
          Glad you were able to connect with the Mamba. Three hits in one sitting would be a blast. Not bad for an old man.
          Tim and Bisch (and Zeke) go all out to make you feel as you are part of the "family" at LOR. Some of the other hunters I met there became friends I look forward to meet again down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsehide View Post
            Great write-up Gary.

Glad you were able to connect with the Mamba. Three hits in one sitting would be a blast. Not bad for an old man.

Tim and Bisch (and Zeke) go all out to make you feel as you are part of the "family" at LOR. Some of the other hunters I met there became friends I look forward to meet again down the road.
            Yep. You are one of the good people I wouldn't know if it weren't for Tim and LOR.

Comment

Great story Gary! Thanks for sharing. It's a good reminder that everyone goes through slumps with the stick bow.

Comment

True. And you won't get out of it if you don't stick with it and fight through it.

Comment

Congrats again Gary!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Get some.

Well done Gary. Well done Zeke.

Comment

Great story! Congratulations!

Comment

Way to stick with it, Gary. Great hunt, too!

Comment

Working...
                        X