Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Arrow weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight

What is your is hunting arrow grain weight?
    How heavy inserts do you use?

525 gr. total weight
    75 gr. brass insert
    Using Easton Axis shafts
    50# Elite Ritual bow

Comment

Comment

540 gold tip kinetic kaos, 110 grain insert.

Comment

Depends on which arrow for which bow. Varies tween 9.6 and 10.2 gpp. I don't normally run insert weights but if I'm running light heads, say 100 grains, I'll put 50 grain insert weights in. Or if I damage a shaft and can trim and reuse I'll add extra insert weight to stay with my standard heads. I build my arrows with the weight heads I want to use in mind. I rely on the 3Rivers dynamic spine calculator to get me a working combination then leave arrow long and trim to fit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine are 525 grains in my 47-48# bow and 535 grains in my 52-53# bow.

Both have 100 grain inserts up front, 150 grain head on the lighter bow and 125 grain head on the heavier bow.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Depends on which arrow for which bow. Varies tween 9.6 and 10.2 gpp. I don't normally run insert weights but if I'm running light heads, say 100 grains, I'll put 50 grain insert weights in. Or if I damage a shaft and can trim and reuse I'll add extra insert weight to stay with my standard heads. I build my arrows with the weight heads I want to use in mind. I rely on the 3Rivers dynamic spine calculator to get me a working combination then leave arrow long and trim to fit.

I put my info in the spine calculator on the 3 rivers site and my numbers are 14 apart with the bow spine being higher .

Comment

Your string strand count and shelf cut make a difference in the calculations so be sure they are correct. Also did you measure your actual draw length or do the wing span calculation? That calculator is only as good as what we plug in.
                Also it could be you are just that far off and need to adjust your arrow set up to get closer.
                Yes there is a personal calculation you can set as well IF your set up is tuning out perfectly but I don't have to adjust it.

Comment

I use lighter arrows than most, I think. My 49# actual weight bow with 440 grain arrow. If you go light, be sure that broadhead is SHARP.

Comment

If you go heavy you need a sharp broadhead as well.

Comment

505 with 75 grain inserts and 125 heads
                      Easton Hexx 260

Comment

I attempt to tune my bows to shoot roughly 10 gpp at my draw. This makes the trajectories similar, so that switching between bows is easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Your string strand count and shelf cut make a difference in the calculations so be sure they are correct. Also did you measure your actual draw length or do the wing span calculation? That calculator is only as good as what we plug in.
                          Also it could be you are just that far off and need to adjust your arrow set up to get closer.
                          Yes there is a personal calculation you can set as well IF your set up is tuning out perfectly but I don't have to adjust it.

I put in the correct information and marked an arrow arrow the front of the riser when at full draw. I have had guys tell me that I need to cut my arrows down . I changed the length the of the arrow in the calculator to 31 instead of my 34 and it brought the spine numbers to within the 2 pounds that the chart recommended. I just haven’t physically cut the arrows .

Comment

I use whatever arrow weight gets me a good tune and trajectory. I have a 32" draw so I get lots of free energy, and that makes life easy for me. Really, I just tune my arrows and go hunt. Right now I'm at ~450 grains, out of my Black Widow. 43lbs @32"... 125 grain heads, 11 gr HIT insert. I haven't chronod this setup, but I know it's more than 175fps. Cause I was getting 175 with a 500 grain arrow last fall.

Comment

Arrow Weight is 615gr

No weighted insert. Standard 12gr insert

Axis FMJ 300 spine 29 3/4" from the throat

200gr German Kinetic XXL 1 7/8' cut

Comment

Working...
                              X