Beginner bow set up suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get into recurve hunting, what’s a good bow set up to start with? Preferably something not too incredibly expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samick Sage, Black Hunter or a Galaxy Ember

Comment

Originally posted by TXRebel View Post

^^^this. All are great choices.

Comment

I have a sage that I started with . Great bow so far .

Comment

Originally posted by TXRebel View Post

How do I decide my draw weight? Looking to actually hunt with this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Abrooks118 View Post
            How do I decide my draw weight? Looking to actually hunt with this as well.

Most will tell you to get between #35-40 at you draw length to start. It is very easy to develop bad habits/form if you are over-bowed. This leads to poor shooting and becoming discouraged.

Buy a set of heavier limbs to hunt with once you have consistent form.

What is you draw length on your compound?

Last edited by Grand Passage; 03-16-2022, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Passage View Post
              Most will tell you to get between #35-40 at you draw length to start. It is very easy to develop bad habits/form if you are over-bowed. This leads to poor shooting and becoming discouraged.

Buy a set of heavier limbs to hunt with once you have consistent form.

What is you draw length on your compound?

I dont currently have a compound so I’m not sure how to determine my draw length.

Comment

One way to determine draw length is to have someone measure your arm span from tip of the middle finger on each arm stretched out and divide that in half.

Comment

The bows mentioned above are good starting points. My husband and I just bought one for my bro-n-law to start out with, and it's fun to shoot. If you don't have any shooting experience (compound or trad) I would even consider dropping down to #30 limbs. You can easily replace them as you gain shooting strength. The lighter weight will allow you to get in more reps and work on form, without the added stress of pulling a heavier draw. Keep in mind that when comparing compound weight to trad weight, it is very different. With a 70# compound you are really only holding about 12-17#, depending on the letoff. With a trad bow, you are pulling and holding every bit of the given weight at 28". That's a big difference.

Are there any archery shops near you, or archery clubs?

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
                    The bows mentioned above are good starting points. My husband and I just bought one for my bro-n-law to start out with, and it's fun to shoot. If you don't have any shooting experience (compound or trad) I would even consider dropping down to #30 limbs. You can easily replace them as you gain shooting strength. The lighter weight will allow you to get in more reps and work on form, without the added stress of pulling a heavier draw. Keep in mind that when comparing compound weight to trad weight, it is very different. With a 70# compound you are really only holding about 12-17#, depending on the letoff. With a trad bow, you are pulling and holding every bit of the given weight at 28". That's a big difference.

Are there any archery shops near you, or archery clubs?

Yea there is an archery shop down the road I could go and talk to them and try out some stuff. Thank you for the info

Comment

Where are you located? If you are near Kingwood I could get you started. I’ve got a bow that is probably 40-45# and some arrows - there is a nice public range in Spring we could meet up there.

I’m covered up on Saturdays for the next several weeks with HS track meets but Sunday afternoons are usually good.
                      Last edited by mikebyrge; 03-16-2022, 08:01 PM.

Comment

And that ^^^^^^^^ is why TBH is so great!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Abrooks118 View Post
                          I dont currently have a compound so I’m not sure how to determine my draw length.

your height in inches divided by 2.5 will get you very close,,, 6' is 72" divided by 2.5 = 28.8 ,,, most recurves are measured at 28" draw length for the weight...

Comment

I bought a SinoArt 58” recurve off of Amazon last year to get into trad and have been happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X