Arrow length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow length

Anybody shoot full length arrows or do you cut them down?
    I'm currently shooting full length 34" 600 spine Black Eagles with 125 grain heads
    Being new to traditional I went with what I was told I needed to start with. I'm shooting 3 under style 35 pound sage with a 27" draw.

Some ppl shoot full length; some cut shorter than full length. Tuning should tell you what you need to do. Cutting the shaft to a shorter length can substantially raise the spine of the arrow. The shorter you cut it, the stiffer it will act. So, you use a tuning method to tell you what you need to do to make the arrow as perfect as you can get it for you and your setup.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just starting out trying to use any tuning method can be really difficult because your form and release may not yet quite developed. If you are getting decent arrow flight I'd focus on just developing your form.
      Stay close, shoot a lot. As you develop and start to be able to tell why an arrow went awry, plucked string, dropped bow arm, etc, then using a tuning processor will become more realistic. Took me quite a while to get there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        Some ppl shoot full length; some cut shorter than full length. Tuning should tell you what you need to do. Cutting the shaft to a shorter length can substantially raise the spine of the arrow. The shorter you cut it, the stiffer it will act. So, you use a tuning method to tell you what you need to do to make the arrow as perfect as you can get it for you and your setup.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Thank you for the education .

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          Just starting out trying to use any tuning method can be really difficult because your form and release may not yet quite developed. If you are getting decent arrow flight I'd focus on just developing your form.
          Stay close, shoot a lot. As you develop and start to be able to tell why an arrow went awry, plucked string, dropped bow arm, etc, then using a tuning processor will become more realistic. Took me quite a while to get there.

I’m getting decent flight . But I do have some form flaws I’m working through . I’m not getting a clean release . Sometimes it’s a dead release and others I pull my elbow all the way through the shot .

Comment

I use to shoot full length BE Vintage arrows. 34" long. Had them in 600's through 400's for different bows. I used stock inserts and 150g up front. They shot well but I've been experimenting with lighter arrows and more FOC. Those Vintage arrows were a touch on the hefty side for me. Great for hunting though. They'd range from almost 11gpp to 13gpp+. I've gone lighter mainly for 3D and target shooting. Flatter shooting arrows. I do miss the 34" length. Gave me a PO of about 20 yards. But the other arrows I'm shooting are 30" and my PO is closer to 30 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
              I use to shoot full length BE Vintage arrows. 34" long. Had them in 600's through 400's for different bows. I used stock inserts and 150g up front. They shot well but I've been experimenting with lighter arrows and more FOC. Those Vintage arrows were a touch on the hefty side for me. Great for hunting though. They'd range from almost 11gpp to 13gpp+. I've gone lighter mainly for 3D and target shooting. Flatter shooting arrows. I do miss the 34" length. Gave me a PO of about 20 yards. But the other arrows I'm shooting are 30" and my PO is closer to 30 yards.
              I originally bought the BE 400 shafts as suggested by the charts and man those were way to stiff . When I got these 600s I was shooting 175 up front to get my arrow weight up but that was like lobbing grenades. Then I went to 150 grain and now to 125 trying to get a good flight .
              Was hoping to get them set so I wouldn’t have to change spines and buy new arrows .

Comment

Have you used a dynamic spine calculator like the one on Three Rivers website? It's not perfect but I've found it very helpful in seeing how the variables changes dynamic spine and will get you close. Your bow is in their database which will help

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  Have you used a dynamic spine calculator like the one on Three Rivers website? It's not perfect but I've found it very helpful in seeing how the variables changes dynamic spine and will get you close. Your bow is in their database which will help
                  I have not. But I will. Thanks.

Comment

I like to keep the arrow 1" minimum longer than draw length. Beyond that I just tune the arrow with tip weight selected.

The 3 Rivers spine calc tool works, but I prefer the Stu Miller tool. It's just easier to use. On both, I have use a -5 to -10 personal form correction to get a good correlation to my actual results.

Comment

I have a Toelke Super D longbow 55@29. My draw is at 26. So that means the poundage will be @45. I asked Dan Toelke what arrows I should shoot from his bow. He told me to get Easton Carbons, cut at 28 and use a 75 gr brass insert and a 125 head.
                      I loaded all this into the Spine calculator and he was dead on.
                      Arrows and inserts are on the way. I will give his advice a try.
                      I have tried it other ways, so let me try it from the Bowyer's knowledge.

Comment

I'd still have them long and trim to fit.
                        You can always trim down. Adding on not so easy.

Comment

I cut 3 inches off of one my arrows today and the flight increased a lot greatly. 31” length with 125 field tip . Not exactly perfect but for now it’s great .

Comment

It's a process.

Comment

your arrow spine is actually not measured full length either, if i remember correctly it is at 28" so a shaft that is 600 spine is actually a lot softer
                              ( weaker ) at 34 " by cutting one down to 31" you caused it to come closer in line to the actual rating of a 600 spine, even though it is still on the soft side... but it is closer,,,,

Comment

Working...
                              X