Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Weight reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weight reduction

Seems this is the year to work on it.

Down from 204lbs at Christmas to 187. Hoping to find 175. Mostly cut back on soda, alcohol and portion control. Knees don't like exercise and I'm a lazy *** anyway.

But what the thread is really about is draw weight.

I've struggled with shoulder issues since 2009. Injury, surgery, hard work and abuse have taken their toll.
    Hands are just as bad. Arthritis, broken knuckles healed badly and that pesky mechanic work has taken it's toll.
    Mid back took damage to three discs when a grate over a pipe chase busted out from under my feet in '98 and the fall did some damage. Arthritis lives there now and he is a poor tenant. Neck has a tenant just like him.
    It's not the years, it's the mileage. None of them were easy but most of them were fun or at least satisfying.

I know this is a limited time game for me. I have decided the pain isn't worth being tough enough to shoot heavier weights. So I've decided to drop back in weight just a few pounds. So currently I am Primal Tech less as Randy reduces my weight five pounds on those limbs and builds me one ten pounds lighter as an all around practice and 3D bow.
    Yes, 45@27" is adequate for hunting but I'm more concerned with liking to shoot 50, 60, 70 or more arrows a day and not causing issues with the problem spots.
    When I started shooting 150 to 200 arrows a day at 55lbs was completely fine. Now two dozen is enough. If I do two rounds of 3D I am out for a few days. Without significant pain medication of course.

So I made the decision that I could live with less Modelo, Zero sodas for my whiskey, less second helpings, no all I can eat buffets, taking home a left over plate instead of stuffing myself.

I also decided if I'm going to stay in the game I need to loose weight on my bows. My Tall Tines trimmed back already, my Primal Tech soon and a new one in a lady's weight coming soon.

Just for the record I can still outwork the young guys I use as helpers. I rub it in and laugh till I drop them off.
    Then I go home, take some Tylenol and mix a drink cause it's getting harder and harder to work their asses off.

Getting old is not for whimps.

Comment

By yourself a 35# to 40# bow. If you have TD, just get new limbs. Tune up some arrows that have the same flight as your hunting set up. It's not that hard to do, especially if you shoot mostly inside 20 yards.

Enjoy shooting all day.

Comment

When I have to dip that low I'll hang up my Primal Tech and go back to a compound.
        And you don't just go "buy" limb sets for a custom bow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a great plan. All of my bows are 45-50 pound weights. I usually shoot my 45 and 47 pound bows the most. Hold off on the back surgery as long as you can. I’ve had 3, and they’re the worst!

Comment

I fell your pain Gary.
            When I first got into archery, #60 and over bows were considered a "normal" hunting weight.
            Add 20 years and a few hand, shoulder and back injuries and shooting my beloved #61 @ 27" ASL is a real challenge.
            Mutual friends, both very successful hunters, showed me how deadly a #50 recurve can be with well-tuned arrows.
            I have no opportunities to shoot 3D matches around here and can only travel so far from home due to family obligations, so the concern of shooting ore than a couple dozen arrows per day is not high.
            Being aware of your needs and limitations is important.
            And if you have to bring the wheels back to keep hunting, I would not look down on you anymore than I would for you shooting a "lady's bow"...

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              When I have to dip that low I'll hang up my Primal Tech and go back to a compound.
              And you don't just go "buy" limb sets for a custom bow.

To each his own. I got new custom 38# @ 28" limbs in 3-months. Now I can shoot all day (4 to 6 rounds of 30 targets) without pain, soreness, or fatique. Makes for a great 3D bow and much better scores in those latter rounds. Now if I could just get my knees to stop aching!
              Last edited by SJP51; 03-13-2022, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I guess for just 3D 35lbs works as good as 55. So yeah, you're correct.
                But I wouldn't hunt with 35lbs. I'm not good enough.

Last edited by DRT; 03-13-2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

And as for knees I'm looking into stem cell therapy. PRP helps but I want to avoid replacing them as long as possible.

Comment

Got my Tall Tines back. 5lbs off helps.

Comment

And as for knees I'm looking into stem cell therapy. PRP helps but I want to avoid replacing them as long as possible.

I have the same problem with my knees .
                      Arthritis in both and torn maniscus in the left.
                      The sports medicine Dr. I saw talked to my insurance company doing the stem cell therapy and they denied it saying it was experimental with not enough proven positive results.

Good luck with yours man .

Comment

I'll pay cash. My insurance says the same thing.

Comment

I'll pay cash. My insurance says the same thing.

Good deal. I hope you get great results . Keep us posted .

Comment

Working...
                          X