Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Inspection

A topic about a broken string prompted me to share this bit of information:

String inspection is something we should all do on a fairly regular basis, and perform string maintenance accordingly.

The two main areas to inspect are (1) the loops, and (2) the area where the arrow nocks onto the string, but in this discussion I will concentrate on #2.

When inspecting your string, if you notice the #2 area starting look compressed, and especially if it is forming an hour glass shape, you should immediately remove the serving, and inspect that area underneath.

More often than not, that compression of diameter, or hour glassing in that area is due to fiber damage to the strands of the string itself, and the reduction of diameter is the result of those fibers starting to separate, which will eventually lead to complete separation/string failure.

A strings age can lend to this condition, but more often than not it is due to the arrow nocks being to tight, and/or placing a double nock set of points to tight on the arrow nock.

It will serve you well (sooner or later) to pay close attention to that spot.

The picture shows (A) a normal looking arrow nock area, and (B) one that is separating.

Rick
    Attached Files

Thanks - I’ll check my bow.

Comment

Rick: Have you found there to be an average lifetime on a string -- either in months/years or approximate number of shots?

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Rick: Have you found there to be an average lifetime on a string -- either in months/years or approximate number of shots?
        No Ellis, I haven't.

For sure, "proper maintenance & care" will make them last a very long time, but ignoring them can lead to their very short lifespan.

Rick

Comment

Working...
        X