No announcement yet.

Am I too heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an archer of over 50 years of flinging arrows from all types of bows, hunting Texas whitetail with any bow, compound or traditional, string jumping will happen. It's just part of our sport. I normally shoot a 610 grain arrow with a 50# recurve. I like to keep any arrow 10-12 ggp. Regardless of poundage. I think picking the right,close shot with a straight flying arrow and sharp 2 blade is the best ticket on a relaxed unsuspecting deer. If not, I let them walk.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

By the way, if your wife, girlfriend or daughter asks this question the answer is always "NO".

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        Grant Woods did a good video testing deer drop speed.
        Head up they can only accelerate at 9.8m/² Head down they can use the leverage of whipping their head up to drop much faster.
        Agree, I have seen that as well on deer Deer seems more alert with their head up but the rate of drop is much les if that head is up. Though about that while watching OPs video.

Comment

Yea. I def didn’t shoot at the most opportune time. He would’ve calmed down and came back to the feeder (15 yards) and may have ended up on my side of the feeder (10-12).
          I have tinkered with my recurve setup this week and lightened my arrow to 505 grains and the bow is pulling 47.5 and it’s shooting 185fps. I’m amazed at the difference in trajectory and gaps. When I’m working on form I shoot at a roofing tarp tack and I’ve hit it 3 or 4 times at 15. There is something to be said about shorter gaps and I feel like that is still plenty of arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol. Yeah. Just take some time for the brain to adjust.
            At 13 yards they may still duck. But it may be too late.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pick a spot low in the chest or on the brisket line. If you are elevated bend at the waist. The sound of the shot reaches the deer 3 times or more faster than the arrow, so they have plenty of time to react.

Comment

I asked myself the same question when I brought a tuner arrow up from bush league to quiver status. I weighed it in at 700 grains…Yeesh! My normal hunting arrow is 640 grains but Im running out of those shafts. It takes my normal 20 yard sight alignment to hit at 15 yards pulling 50lbs. Itll ride. Good luck MrOps.

Comment

Working...
                X