No announcement yet.

Caught the Gar spawning yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garsh!!! What a haul!!! Let us know how the gar taste. I've got carp in the freezer that I'm working up the nerve to try. I bought a book "Practical Bowfishing" that has recipies for several "trash fish" that I'm going to try. The books lists gar as delicious.

Comment

Good luck with that carp cooking thing. I've tried it about five different ways that other people have talked me into trying and it all sucked. It wasn't that it wasn't good but that it all tasted baaaaad.

Comment

Originally posted by 152 Sumo View Post
        That's awesome! Are those good to eat?
        Gar Patties, I dont have a receipe but my Uncle used to fix them and they wernt half bad.

Comment

The one a day limit for alligator gar did'nt fly except on lake Texoma. The youth gun season running the entire month of October did'nt go over either, it will be put into January.Great shooting guys, and I know you had fun!!!

Comment

Got a bowfishing rig on order from 3rivers and can't wait to try it out. I haven't tried bowfishing yet, but it seems like its gonna be a blast.

Comment

Matt, it was nice meeting you at Vanderpool. If you make it to Chester, we can make a gtoup and shoot a round.

See ya later,

Bisch

Comment

Went back today and shot a 5' 3" 32 lb longnose. Not bad out of a lake. Very windy, they weren't stacking up the same. Got some Buffalo too.

Sorry, no pics this time

Comment

I shot a couple last year and tried to cook a piece of one in a frying pan and it came out tough. I think I cooked it to long. So I just steamed them and made a tuna fish salad it tasted good with no fishy taste.
                  How did you clean yours? I took a hack saw and cut their heads off behind the gills and cut their tails off with the hack saw above the last dorsal fin, Then you take a good pair of straight tin snips and cut up their shell on the center of the back, take a fillet knife and follow the contour of their shell and then make a cut down the edge of the spine to the rib bones and follow the outside contour of the ribs and you come up with two clean boneless fillets. It is really pretty quick once you get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                    The one a day limit for alligator gar did'nt fly except on lake Texoma.
                    It shouldn't have, but it sure as heck did pass:

"The statewide regulation on alligator gar will change Sept. 1, 2009, from no length or daily bag limit to a one fish per day bag limit. The bag will apply to both recreational and commercial fishing."

source: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...9&nrsearch=gar

Comment

Originally posted by EEBowHunter View Post
                      what sort of bowfishing rigs do y'all recommend?
                      I like a recurve with an AMS bottle retriever and muzzy tipped arrows. You can search this site for much more info on bowfishing rigs.

Comment

Looks like alot of fun there!

Comment

Went back today and tore em up again.

Comment

Wow! What a haul.

Comment

That's my kind of fun right there! Good shootin!

Comment

Working...
                              X