Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

How many acres per hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many acres per hunter?

Throwing 30-06 bullets around, I like to be pretty spread out. Not so much with arrows.

Hunting deep east Texas deer and hogs. Thick brush and/or pine with some hard woods. How many acres is a minimum for archery hunters? I'm thinking 25 to 40 acres per hunter?

I like 150 minimum. 200 acres is better.

Comment

If you put a hunter every 25 acres in east Texas then you’re going to have more humans than animals on the property.

Comment

We do about 350 acres per spot.

Comment

We are hoping to pick up 800 acres and we will put 6 bow hunters on it if we do.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Rifle minimum 500
            Bow minimum 250

Comment

You fellas hunt some big places. Buddy and I hunted 120 acres together for 10-years and always took a few does and usually a buck or two between us. Gobs of hogs, too.

Was thinking of buying a 60 acre place I saw for sale that would give me only a 15 min drive from home to stand for me and one other. Archrery only.

Comment

West Texas: 300-500
                South Texas: 200-350
                Hill Country: 150-250
                East Texas: 100-150

Comment

500 acres per hunter if funds allow. The less # of Hunters the better everytime.

East Texas you can get by with a lower acre/Hunter ratio, but I still would try to keep it above 200.

Comment

How many deer per acre are you able to hold?

Comment

East texas I’d say minimum 150 acres per hunter but 200-250 would be better

Comment

How can you tell how many people is good without knowing your optimal carrying capacity?

Comment

We hunt 10 guns on 5,000 acres

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                            How can you tell how many people is good without knowing your optimal carrying capacity?
                            That's a good question. I think most places go by how much total split by how much people are willing to pay.
                            The area we are in there are good numbers of deer, a ton of pigs and turkeys. But the land we are looking to lease is $15 per acre.
                            Personally I'd like to put four people on it but $3000 a bow is pretty high for most folks.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

If you run 25 acres per deer (not uncommon in E Texas pine plantation country). That would be 6 deer on 150 acres. Depending on your harvest plan, 25% harvest rate would be 1.5 deer per 150 acres. Each hunter on 150 acres would get 1-2 deer per season.

See where I am going?

Once again, all variables can change depending on range conditions, long term management plan, changes in property composition, etc.
                              Last edited by Greenheadless; 01-22-2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X