Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the back again

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
    That may be the reason I suppose. But they sure eat well!

My cousin’s son shot a 300 lb doe and she was a young one.

300# doe??? I’d sure like to see pics of that! 200# I would have no skepticism, but 300#??? Most of the bucks up there don’t get to 300#.

Anyway, I have hunted Midwest whitetail several times, and for the most part, those deer are waaaaay more calm than Texas deer.

OP, to answer your question, at ground level I aim very low. I like them slightly quartered away, and usually use the crease, knuckle as a focus point. If elevated, I still aim pretty low, usually never higher than half way up the body.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 12-12-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
      I saw this study that changed my way of thinking after 25 years of bow hunting. Shoot at deer when their heads are raised vs down and feeding. Watched multiple videos that showed deer over and over “load up” and crouch when their heads were down feeding. Little to no drop or change in POA when upright. Just something new to evaluate...
      ^This is the answer. (Not a trad shooter unfortunately) But I learned the hard way and now I only shoot when their head is up. Two weeks ago I shot a buck straight through the heart and he went 15 yards before dropping. 3 minutes later a very nervous doe came back to the feeder and I shot her with her head up and got both lungs. She made it 130 yards before crashing. I aim for the heart/ lower third.

Comment

twice this morning...TWICE!!! An hour apart, each were at the same 15-16 yards. My POA was the little white spot at the bottom (underside) of their chest (“armpit” more or less).
        Btw- these are 100# SE Oklahoma mountain does. This longbow is shooting about 160-165fps. I know...I know...aim lower.
        Or, move to Iowa where they have 300# does that don’t move.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
          That may be the reason I suppose. But they sure eat well!

My cousin’s son shot a 300 lb doe and she was a young one.
          That reminds me of the time I was fishing Lake Erie and reeled in a lantern that had a plate on it dating it was from 1776. Crazy thing is it was still lit!! ... I tell ya what, if you'll take 100lbs off that doe, I'll put the light out in my lantern...[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a doozy Roly lol! I think he might have shot his neighbors steer!

Comment

First liar never has a chance.[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm at a day lease right now and I am seem to be offering free haircuts. I have never hunted Iowa but a man would be a fool to claim deer don't duck down here.

Comment

I've been on a place where they knew what a bow string sounds like and had to aim at their knee to connect. Yes, their knee.

Comment

When shooting from an elevate position you must bend at the waist to maintain proper shooting angle. Otherwise, you will hit high every time. Burn your spot where you want to hit keep proper form and let it fly. I’m no expert by any stretch and missed my share high. Stay with it and you can do it.

Comment

This season, I've had three does duck the arrow for clean misses. All three had their heads up, but were extremely skittish leading up to the shot. Was aiming at the heart, but I swear their bodies touched the ground they went down so fast. May have to take some other posters' advice and start aiming at the knee when they are that wirey...

Comment

On does I will aim 4-6 inches below the bottom line of the chest. On bucks I aim 2-4 inches low. This is on 20 yard shots and 15-20 ft up in a tree. I have missed low on bucks that didn’t duck but I would much rather miss low than miss high. I feel your pain on the over the top frustration. It’s one of the hardest things for me to do is make myself aim under the deer but it has been successful way mor than not. Hope that helps, Good luck!

Comment

Shooting a bow can be just like shooting a gun in the fact that target panic can cause you to anticipate your shot and jerk or yank at the release. Deer jump the string without a doubt, but make sure you aren’t pulling the shot. I tend to push shots low with a handgun and pull shots high with a bow. Just something else to consider.

Comment

Working...
                          X